Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: The Six Nations 2019

Post by mol2 »

There were a few key moments for me.
Two intercept passes thrown by Farrell when not under pressure (neither time could he cite pressure as he didn’t commit the tackle - which is why he he was chasing back on both occasions)
The other was Daly kicking the ball dead. I think he is a talented player but is he a full back? If he isn’t does he make the starting line up? Nowell, May and Ashton are better wings. Nowell is a better full back. He could play centre but again is he really going to oust Manu or Slade. He does have a huge boot but lacks control of it under pressure.

As it stands England can play some sublime attacking rugby but lack the ability to cope under pressure which is why they were well beaten by Wales.
The captaincy is wrong Farrell is flaky when it’s going wrong. Would the presence of Itoje have made a difference? Had Farrell not been captain it would have been easier to sub him earlier yesterday and likewise in Cardiff.

Genge looked fit. Ford showed composure in the brief opportunity he had.

England failed to condsider using the scum as an attacking weapon.
Not enough is being done. With Cole, Genge and George with Kruise and Launchbury behind them there was never any real attempt to munch the Scotland scrum. It was simply a restart.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I don’t think the Scottish scrum was there to be munched. Nel is as good a tight head as anyone and when they brought Reid on to strengthen the scrum it was Sncler who got munched and Jones had to send Cole on to rescue the situation
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:29 am Ben Youngs and Owen Farrell both to blame for the slip, I also think Vunipola is :censored at the moment, going into contact very slow and his knock-on from Genge’s offload was very sloppy. Jones needs to bring someone in who can challenge him, i.e. Ben Morgan, as Hughes has shown he can’t.
I don't always agree with you but I do on this.
Youngs and Farrell aren't good enough under pressure at this level, never have been and never will be.
Youngs is vulnerable to breakdown presssure and everyone knows it to the point that when plan A isn't working there is always an easy go to plan B against him.
Farrell's limited skill set is vulnerable to the line rush, at club level he can cope a bit better but at international level he is exposed.
For all the caps that they both possess it's no coincidence that it has been during England's worst period of failures under pressure.
Billy V doesn't look quite the same player since a run of injuries, he may get it back and he may not.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Well, what can I say? It's all been said. Great atmosphere during the game, but when it was over, I slunk away, still in a state of disbelief, and finding myself in a pub, packed with Scotsmen, I tried to find a quiet corner to hide in. No such luck, as a group of tartan terrors advanced upon me. Actually they were pretty good chaps, and great conversationalists.

Looking at the Wales v Ireland game, the latter were dreadful. Their worst display for many a year. Error after error, and clueless when they got the ball. Well done Wales, they are worthy champions.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Wales - deserved champions with an amazing leader
England - flashes of great play but questionable selection and poor on-field leadership
Ireland - peaked last season?
Scotland - got to love them!
France - pas bon du tout
Italy - non va bene affatto
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

BFG wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:29 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:29 am Ben Youngs and Owen Farrell both to blame for the slip, I also think Vunipola is :censored at the moment, going into contact very slow and his knock-on from Genge’s offload was very sloppy. Jones needs to bring someone in who can challenge him, i.e. Ben Morgan, as Hughes has shown he can’t.
I don't always agree with you but I do on this.
Youngs and Farrell aren't good enough under pressure at this level, never have been and never will be.
Youngs is vulnerable to breakdown presssure and everyone knows it to the point that when plan A isn't working there is always an easy go to plan B against him.
Farrell's limited skill set is vulnerable to the line rush, at club level he can cope a bit better but at international level he is exposed.
For all the caps that they both possess it's no coincidence that it has been during England's worst period of failures under pressure.
Billy V doesn't look quite the same player since a run of injuries, he may get it back and he may not.
As the Prince Regent would say... “Hurrah!”
Last edited by JP14 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Didn’t notice this during the game but Tuialgi is lucky it wasn’t picked up. Close to being a straight red

https://twitter.com/markpalmerst/status ... 12580?s=21
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Have no idea what the backline lineup for England will be now for the World Cup. As good as Daly is, he isn’t a fullback so maybe the perfect no.23 player as he can cover multiple positions.

Watson or Brown to play 15. Do we also revert back to the Ford/Farrell axis or stick to the centres in the Six Nations?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Stick to the centres! Definitely! But with Ford at 10.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:00 am Have no idea what the backline lineup for England will be now for the World Cup. As good as Daly is, he isn’t a fullback so maybe the perfect no.23 player as he can cover multiple positions.

Watson or Brown to play 15. Do we also revert back to the Ford/Farrell axis or stick to the centres in the Six Nations?
Both these views are debatable, of course, but imho...

#1. 10 is the most important position on the field so you must play your best flyhalf there irrespective of axes or centres or 'strategies' or whatever.

#2. Ford is England's best flyhalf.

Er...that's it!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
newport tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by newport tiger »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:07 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:00 am Have no idea what the backline lineup for England will be now for the World Cup. As good as Daly is, he isn’t a fullback so maybe the perfect no.23 player as he can cover multiple positions.

#1. 10 is the most important position on the field so you must play your best flyhalf there irrespective of axes or centres or 'strategies' or whatever.

Er...that's it!
Who is doing a worse job at No. 10?
Theresa May, Johnny Sexton or Owen Farrell?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Er...that's it!
Cipriani is undoubtedly England's best 10 and has been for many years!
His omission is symptomatic of the face fitting that is often rugby union, and I suspect that he is so knowledgable and talented that it makes limited coaches uncomfortable, which is not uncommon in my experience.
We saw a similar scenario with England and Flood, in my opinion.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

BFG wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:33 am

Er...that's it!
His omission is symptomatic of the face fitting that is often rugby union, and I suspect that he is so knowledgable and talented that it makes limited coaches uncomfortable, which is not uncommon in my experience.
In my view it's symptomatic of an attitude in English rugby, at international level at the very least, to play on the safe side of the risk reward strategy at 10. Generally you get far more criticism for mistakes than praise for exceptional individualism or talent. Leads to players like Cips getting hammered for mistakes whereas Farrell doesn't often get criticised for uninventive play.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

biffer wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:58 am
BFG wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:33 am

Er...that's it!
In my view it's symptomatic of an attitude in English rugby, at international level at the very least, to play on the safe side of the risk reward strategy at 10. Generally you get far more criticism for mistakes than praise for exceptional individualism or talent. Leads to players like Cips getting hammered for mistakes whereas Farrell doesn't often get criticised for uninventive play.
I completely agree with that analysis of how talent is often frowned upon in England.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Farrell biggest liability is to be unable to make good decisions under pressure. He is unable to change strategies, makes poor decisions, and it is under pressure that he starts his “no arm” high tackles.

Unfortunately Jones sees no other possible captain except Hartley, who on form would not even be playing in England Thirds. His temper is more under control than it was, but he still does not know how to talk to the referee. He is a poor choice to hang your hat on for a World Cup where one piece of poor judgement can spell disaster, just ask Robshaw!

I can’t see Jones changing, but when fit Itoje must surely be in the frame with Ford as players who can read a game and make decisions. Of course, the team needs leaders throughout, and Jones has failed to develop them too.

Once again, working slavishly to a system has blunted ability, and England’s best 10 by far isn’t even on the bus.

England need vision, and Jones seems unable to provide it.
Valhalla I am coming!