World league of nations

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: World league of nations

Post by BFG »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:24 am I dont think that the bigger nations are fair with the Pacific Islands.....they get very little financial return when playing these countries and I cannot recall tours taking place in these Islands....The All Blacks charge just to turn up for a game
It's all about money and the big boys are never fair, but they could always do an Exeter!
Until the Pacific Islands are willing to invest the time and dedication into themselves then it will flounder.
What really annoys me is that I suspect that the Pacific Islands players would be very happy to be included in this world league and take the money, but couldn't care less that many viewers that have watched international rugby for years on terrestrial television and invested in attending club matches would not be able to afford to pay a subscription to watch anymore and potentially have their club game ruined!
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

BFG wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:26 am
Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:24 am I dont think that the bigger nations are fair with the Pacific Islands.....they get very little financial return when playing these countries and I cannot recall tours taking place in these Islands....The All Blacks charge just to turn up for a game
It's all about money and the big boys are never fair, but they could always do an Exeter!
Until the Pacific Islands are willing to invest the time and dedication into themselves then it will flounder.
What really annoys me is that I suspect that the Pacific Islands players would be very happy to be included in this world league and take the money, but couldn't care less that many viewers that have watched international rugby for years on terrestrial television and invested in attending club matches would not be able to afford to pay a subscription to watch anymore and potentially have their club game ruined!
But that's just the point, they can't do an Exeter! Exeter played in a system where if they played well, they got rewarded by promotion and regular games with the top clubs. The tier 2 nations have no such system, and the 'world league' will just make it worse
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

northerntiger wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:56 am
But that's just the point, they can't do an Exeter! Exeter played in a system where if they played well, they got rewarded by promotion and regular games with the top clubs. The tier 2 nations have no such system, and the 'world league' will just make it worse
This issue comes down to everyone concerned chasing the money, they are all at it in my opinion.
Last edited by BFG on Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

BFG wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:08 pm
They can do an Exeter on an international level but only if they stick together and work at it, then they'll be a powerful force and I suspect world beaters, that they don't even try and chase the individual money from the off is a foundation of their collective problems in my opinion.
They are considering boycotting the World Cup and yet they don't boycott being poached by the All Blacks, did they not allow themselves to be poached in the first place then they'd very likely beat the All Blacks and possibly win World Cups and wouldnt be pushed around like this.
This issue comes down to everyone concerned chasing the money, they are all at it in my opinion.
So the pacific island unions have no cash and ability to play their players, but the players should stay on the islands, with no professional club competition? And its the players fault? The players leave because of this, they're not the reason. The fact some players put club before country is that the unions can't afford to play a decent wage in what is a very short, always one life-changing injury away from being over, career.

I've never read so much drivel on here before, and that's saying a lot.
Louis

Post by Louis »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:27 pm
<snip>

Challenge accepted!

Right.

As rugby is played on a flat pitch, the Earth must be flat. Stands to reason.

As the rain gets worse, pitches get muddier, the game gets more forward dominated. Therefore forwards get more powerful the more dilute they get. Therefore homeopathy is true and works on forwards (not backs).

My mate down the pub said that Manu is off to Zebre, and Martin Johnson is coming out of retirement to replace him.

Brexit's a really good idea.*

*couldn't resist. Sue me.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:27 pm
BFG wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:08 pm

They can do an Exeter on an international level but only if they stick together and work at it, then they'll be a powerful force and I suspect world beaters, that they don't even try and chase the individual money from the off is a foundation of their collective problems in my opinion.
They are considering boycotting the World Cup and yet they don't boycott being poached by the All Blacks, did they not allow themselves to be poached in the first place then they'd very likely beat the All Blacks and possibly win World Cups and wouldnt be pushed around like this.
So the pacific island unions have no cash and ability to play their players, but the players should stay on the islands, with no professional club competition? And its the players fault? The players leave because of this, they're not the reason. The fact some players put club before country is that the unions can't afford to play a decent wage in what is a very short, always one life-changing injury away from being over, career.

It's not about staying on the islands, it's about abandoning their identity, choosing to represent the All Blacks or indeed England because it pays well.
I wouldn't expect you to get that given the current state of Welsh club rugby.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Most don’t though. They may play abroad, but represent Fiji, or Samoa, or Tonja. I think most of the islander ABs were born in NZ.
But that’s not the point. The islanders have no leagues, get no tours and precious few games. And are broke. Would you stay?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

northerntiger wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:21 pm Most don’t though. They may play abroad, but represent Fiji, or Samoa, or Tonja. I think most of the islander ABs were born in NZ.
But that’s not the point. The islanders have no leagues, get no tours and precious few games. And are broke. Would you stay?
Would I stay?
That's hard to answer, certainly I'd move for paid club rugby but my argument isn't about their club rugby, even though in this day and age they should have a club represented in competition in my opinion.
The only thing that I can say for sure is that I wouldn't represent another nation.
We have Hughes as an example, born in Fiji and playing for England via Wasps and Auckland.
Fekitoa is another example, born in Tonga, plays for New Zealand and soon to be Wasps via Auckland.
It is rumoured that Hughes will get £500k pa next season and yet the rest are short changed.
It's an example of what I don't agree with, their players should be playing for their country, making their countries stronger and a force to be reckoned with and the knock on effect for the rest would come.
What I don't particularly enjoy are foreign players coming here for vast amounts of money and freezing out English players and then their countries of origin moaning about the lack of opportunities and cash for the rest.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

BFG wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:56 pm
northerntiger wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:21 pm Most don’t though. They may play abroad, but represent Fiji, or Samoa, or Tonja. I think most of the islander ABs were born in NZ.
Would I stay?
That's hard to answer, certainly I'd move for paid club rugby but my argument isn't about their club rugby, even though in this day and age they should have a club represented in competition in my opinion.
The only thing that I can say for sure is that I wouldn't represent another nation.
We have Hughes as an example, born in Fiji and playing for England via Wasps and Auckland.
Fekitoa is another example, born in Tonga, plays for New Zealand and soon to be Wasps via Auckland.
It is rumoured that Hughes will get £500k pa next season and yet the rest are short changed.
It's an example of what I don't agree with, their players should be playing for their country, making their countries stronger and a force to be reckoned with and the knock on effect for the rest would come.
What I don't particularly enjoy are foreign players coming here for vast amounts of money and freezing out English players and then their countries of origin moaning about the lack of opportunities and cash for the rest.
Never heard of the Fijian Dura? Champions of the Australian National Championship?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:26 am
Would I stay?
Never heard of the Fijian Dura? Champions of the Australian National Championship?
Meaningful and fair competition is what is needed and the funding for it, but not huge amounts of money banked by individuals.
The Pacific islanders want it all in my opinion!
Luatua is another example, Samoa U20 and switched to New Zealand U20 and oddly enough born in New Zealand, played for the All Blacks and now rumoured to be on 650k pa at Bristol.
If that isn't chasing the money then my dog is a lama!
What happened to national pride!
The ones being sold down the river here are the English players and the youngsters in particular.
I wonder how many opportunities for young English players 650k pa would provide!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

World Rugby have issued a new statement on the World Rugby Championship
  • Split into European and Rest of the World conferences (great name I know!)
  • Two tiers for each conference
  • European conference is current Six Nations and winner will win Six Nations Trophy
  • Rest of the World is current Rugby Championship plus 2 teams (at the moment Fiji and Tonga)
  • Will be regelation and promotion between the conferences
  • Free-to-air will remain for Six Nations
  • Top 2 teams from each conference will play in play-off to determine World Champion
  • Lions tour will be protected with no promotion/relegation in Lions years
  • No World Championship in World Cup years
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Here is a video explaining it all...

https://twitter.com/worldrugby/status/1 ... 15776?s=21
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Would I stay?

It's all about following the money. Being born in Tonga for example, does not make you Tongan,. It depends on the nationality of one's parents. I am half English and half Scottish. If I had been born in Italy, that would not make me Italian.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Meeting in Dublin today of all the unions concerned. World rugby offering a delay in relegation proposal for a couple of years in an attempt to persuade the home unions plus France that its a good idea. PRL and it’s French équivalent are still not involved in discussions, and remain opposed on welfare grounds, even though the semi final idea is also to be dropped

The whole idea could be dead by next week.

Hopefully.
Valhalla I am coming!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

New video is scrapping semifinals and renaming it Six Nations and Rugby Championship, relegation and promotion still very much on the cards. I think this is a good idea, not sure why the Welsh are not happy with it (they’re the ones who need money!).