World league of nations

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

World league of nations

Post by trendylfj »

I have only just read about this although I am sure many people know more about this than little ole me. I don't like the idea, what happens to the 6 nations? how many teams? When will they be played? Does this get rid of the Autumn internationals? etc etc etc.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/int ... ompetition
Hehehehehehehehe
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Re: World league of nations

Post by fleabane »

There is an article about how this would work. Unfortunately there is a paywall, and I cannot copy the article.

6N (with relegation?), an expanded Southern Hemisphere competition with Japan and Fiji, probable difficulties with getting agreement from club rugby, its far from being agreed.

Worth reading the article. If someone more technically literate can copy it, please do!
Valhalla I am coming!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Rugby pass has this
"Each team would play each other once throughout the year, followed by a series of play-off matches, with a final between the best nation from either hemisphere to be played at a neutral venue such as Wembley Stadium in London or Camp Nou in Barcelona.

Talks of relegation from the Six Nations have also been proposed.

The report from The Times outlines a proposition which would see the bottom-placed Six Nations side take on the winner of the Europe Rugby Championship, which features second-tier nations Georgia, Romania, Russia, Spain, Germany, and Belgium.

The winner of that promotion/relegation play-off would claim a spot in the next season’s edition of the World Nations League.

Shortened versions of the competition could take place in years featuring British and Irish Lions tours, while the tournament is set to be put on hold during World Cup years in an attempt to preserve rugby’s flagship event."
Hehehehehehehehe
Experimental

Post by Experimental »

Afaik this is the brainchild of agustin pichot and another attempt to make the north weaker and put rugby in the hands of the money men, who only care about money and not the history, tradition and culture of the likes of the six nations and european cup. Imo, this plan should not have even seen the light of day and would be a really bad road for us to travel down, you can be guaranteed, that six nations and friendlies will no longer be aired on free to view if this goes ahead, thus giving rugby much less viewers and interest in the game will drop as a result, we need only look and golf and how that has been affected to see what happens, golf clubs everywhere are really struggling for new members. The south are struggling a lot for money and they want you to travel to NewZealand, the US etc for games, ridiculous. Id be all for a one off match between north and south, but thats it. The north has everything to lose from such an arrangement. Rugby is for the people, not for the money men to exploit.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

To awfully simplify things,stop sponging off us Southern Hemisphere!!! Fix your own game!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

More internationals to be played equals less club games per player, more money for rugby moved from British touring fans to the Southern Hemisphere, it will be the death of the club game in my opinion, not a good idea. I do however like the idea of relegation from the 6 Nations or even a play-off to give the chance of new blood to the competition.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I would not want this competition for love nor money. Club rugby would stagnate!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Tours are fine but one off games in different time zones are bonkers.

South Africa may be on the same time zone but the seasons are opposite.

Argentina - wrong time zone and opposite season.

Won’t work I hope as it will hit club rugby in Europe and the Antipodes.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

I can't see it happening.

All the money in the game is in the English and French leagues. If they don't agree to it then it won't happen. It will be interesting to see if the unions are planning on sweetening the deal for the clubs.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Call me an old fart but, on reflection, I rather enjoyed the days when rugby was more 'local'. Watching Westleigh and Stoneygate batter each other to a standstill was always great fun!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

OK - you're an old fart if not a very old fart :smt007
Hehehehehehehehe
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

What other world wide sport plays in an international league?
The travel and time zone changes would make it a difficult proposition and would effectively produce a year round season for those involved.

Isn't that the point of the world cup. It brings the nations together for a few weeks to minimise the travel and disruption to the clubs and leagues the players play in.

The only beneficiaries would be the TV companies. Top level club rugby would become entirely separated from the international game and it would be a case of club or country. Given that careers are short, international selection fickle the choice for players may be difficult. Some of the smaller nations would struggle to field a team as big clubs may well offer much more cash than their national side can.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

trendylfj wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:10 am OK - you're an old fart if not a very old fart :smt007
I resemble that remark! Less of the 'very'! :smt019
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Interesting that many players oppose it. Looks like locking out the developing nations and the Pacific Islanders.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.