World league of nations

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Re: World league of nations

Post by TTRITH »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:19 pm Interesting that many players oppose it. Looks like locking out the developing nations and the Pacific Islanders.
Looks like? It's exactly what it's doing. Can't risk the "big" nations missing out and therefore the revenue that comes with that. Utterly pathetic suggestion. Would be the six nations, plus New Zealand, South Africa, Australia, Argentina, Japan and AMERICA?! This is all about how much money World Rugby can make and nothing to do with making the game better.

Thats excluding Georgia, Russia, Romania, Samoa, Fiji, Tonga and they are just the nations off the top of my head. What about nations like Germany and Portugal where the participation numbers are growing??

On top of that, it sounds like a TV deal has already been agreed so the Six Nations would be thrown behind a pay wall. Theres an obvious reason as to why the Unions have agreed to these proposals, and the bank managers will be rubbing their hands with glee.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Seriously disappointed about the Six Nations going behind a paywall, it was bad enough with the ITV coverage!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

JP14 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:50 pm Seriously disappointed about the Six Nations going behind a paywall, it was bad enough with the ITV coverage!
RFU not happy......
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
upandunder
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by upandunder »

Bad, bad idea.
- player welfare. There are too many games already.
- impact on Premier league. We already suffer from loss of key players.
- exclusion of Pacific Islands is a disgrace and to actually consider it as an option is unbelievable.
- used to look forward to the occasional big international but now it’s overdone and the expectation is diminished.
- we already have a major global event. It’s called the World Cup and it’s a pretty inclusive competition and looked forward to.
- saturation. You can have too much of a good thing which dilutes the excitement.
Please don’t ruin a good sport.
I love my Tigers and I love my Rugby but that does not mean I want to see it every 5 minutes.
Disappointed in you world Rugby if this is your forward thinking.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

strawclearer wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:08 pm
trendylfj wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:10 am OK - you're an old fart if not a very old fart :smt007
I resemble that remark! Less of the 'very'! :smt019
In my case I am like an old car...it's not the years that count, it's the mileage!
As Good As It Gets
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

upandunder wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:03 am Bad, bad idea.
- exclusion of Pacific Islands is a disgrace and to actually consider it as an option is unbelievable.
- used to look forward to the occasional big international but now it’s overdone and the expectation is diminished.
- we already have a major global event. It’s called the World Cup and it’s a pretty inclusive competition and looked forward to.
- saturation. You can have too much of a good thing which dilutes the excitement.
I love my Tigers and I love my Rugby but that does not mean I want to see it every 5 minutes.
:smt023 :smt023 :smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47418895

Pacific Islands set to boycott World Cup?
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:01 am
upandunder wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:03 am Bad, bad idea.
:smt023 :smt023 :smt023
+++ :smt100 :smt100
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I think it's a bad idea and more money chasing.
I don't think the Pacific Nations players help their own nations causes though as when I look at the amount of players across the world who could be playing for their country but they selfishly choose to chase the money instead playing for European clubs for huge sums of money and choosing to play for richer nations on the residency rules etc.
I mean watching Bristol last night says it all, these players could be pioneering players for their own nations but they chase the quicker cash.
There's so much talent that leaves but these nations could be contesting World Cup finals and then wouldn't be left out of anything, they would be the big drawer.
If their game is going to grow then their players also need to take some individual responsibility in growing it.
I know they are poorer countries but they need to know that we all used to play for nothing in this country and many still do, volunteers are the backbone of our game.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The problems are that the Pacific Island nations are not as financially well off as the major nations.....I remember Alex and Manu going to a World Cup some years back. Manu was given everything by England whilst Alex had to pay out for a large amount to play fro Samoa.
www.matthampson.co.uk
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Cash Cow for TV syndicates.
Away days for paid pundits and an added expense for fans.
Rather have the 6N, World cup and reduced Autumn internationals.
Club rugby is the foundation of the sport, creaming off the top at costs to the clubs.
Yes relegation from 6N could promote the likes of Georgia and Germany.

Either leave alone or have England Rugby as a club.With players purchased , paying the wages and footing the injury/recovery bill.
Then you can play as many games as required any where without clubs limited by players missing.
( I know .... it'll never happen...World rugby a la FIFA )

Aus and NZ have always pooled from the Pacific Islands at the detriment of those countries own International ambitions.
So its no surprise they are yet again excluded.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:55 am The problems are that the Pacific Island nations are not as financially well off as the major nations.....I remember Alex and Manu going to a World Cup some years back. Manu was given everything by England whilst Alex had to pay out for a large amount to play fro Samoa.
That they don't have their own super rugby clubs in any of the Pacific Nations is just terrible in this day and age, but they won't help fund it or stick it out long enough to grow it.
Just look at their players, they are so talented but they chase the cash and bank it.
If they stuck together then they'd grow together and probably be almost unbeatable.
IMO we forget and they don't appreciate how poor our game once was here and the dedication it took to grow it.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

BFG wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:48 am I think it's a bad idea and more money chasing.
I don't think the Pacific Nations players help their own nations causes though as when I look at the amount of players across the world who could be playing for their country but they selfishly choose to chase the money instead playing for European clubs for huge sums of money and choosing to play for richer nations on the residency rules etc.
I mean watching Bristol last night says it all, these players could be pioneering players for their own nations but they chase the quicker cash.
There's so much talent that leaves but these nations could be contesting World Cup finals and then wouldn't be left out of anything, they would be the big drawer.
If their game is going to grow then their players also need to take some individual responsibility in growing it.
I know they are poorer countries but they need to know that we all used to play for nothing in this country and many still do, volunteers are the backbone of our game.
Very easy to sit in our comfortable first world existence and criticise those who have chosen similar comfort! Yes, we did play for free, but we also had good jobs and could afford it. If I was an islander, and blessed with talent, I'd do the same
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

northerntiger wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:11 am
BFG wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:48 am I think it's a bad idea and more money chasing.
Very easy to sit in our comfortable first world existence and criticise those who have chosen similar comfort! Yes, we did play for free, but we also had good jobs and could afford it. If I was an islander, and blessed with talent, I'd do the same
It's all too easy now isn't it but it wasn't always, I still remember and appreciate the past players who it actually worked to fund to play and grew our game.
I'm not totally heartless regarding the Pacific Nations situation, I know there is poverty and being offered good money abroad is a way out, but they don't take the lead and invest it back, but they are happy for us to do so.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I dont think that the bigger nations are fair with the Pacific Islands.....they get very little financial return when playing these countries and I cannot recall tours taking place in these Islands....The All Blacks charge just to turn up for a game
www.matthampson.co.uk