I’d have Adam Beard from the Ospreys and Halahalo or Lee-lo from Cardiff
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 5

Post by CitizenSmiff »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:08 pm
MikeR wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:49 am I really am not bothered whether he is or whether he isn't a Tigers player next season . We desperately need to rebalance the Squad to ensure that we do not have 6 highly paid players missing because of regular England commitments. Of the 6 I would prefer to retain Genge , Cole and May and let the others go at the earliest opportunity . It is ludicrous to have so much of the Salary Cap tied up with players who hardly play for us .
We can’t just keep ripping up the squad on a whim and expect to build anything remotely sustainable.

That’s before making the obvious counter argument that getting rid of your best players is unlikely to make things better
We need quality players who we can keep all season, and the only way that can happen is if we move on some of our current high earners who all have heavy international commitments. It's sad that we're penalised for retaining a core of star English players but it's the reality of the game in its current form.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:07 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:08 pm
MikeR wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:49 am I really am not bothered whether he is or whether he isn't a Tigers player next season . We desperately need to rebalance the Squad to ensure that we do not have 6 highly paid players missing because of regular England commitments. Of the 6 I would prefer to retain Genge , Cole and May and let the others go at the earliest opportunity . It is ludicrous to have so much of the Salary Cap tied up with players who hardly play for us .
We can’t just keep ripping up the squad on a whim and expect to build anything remotely sustainable.

That’s before making the obvious counter argument that getting rid of your best players is unlikely to make things better
We need quality players who we can keep all season, and the only way that can happen is if we move on some of our current high earners who all have heavy international commitments. It's sad that we're penalised for retaining a core of star English players but it's the reality of the game in its current form.
We've already got them.

1. Bateman
2. Youngs
4. Wells
5. Spencer
6. Thompson
7. O'Connor
8. Kalamafoni
9. Harrison
12. Eastmond
13. Tait
14. Thompstone
15. Veainu

Plus Evans, Williams, Kitchener, Smith, Worth.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Tait has retired my good sir. :smt016
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:00 pm Tait has retired my good sir. :smt016
Yeah but at the start of the season, you'd look at those players and be happy with them as a team to play during internationals.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

So you're admitting it's a coaching problem then?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

So the master plan for rebuilding the squad is to release any players who become internationals because they are expensive and miss parts of the season?

Saracens and Exeter seems to manage perfectly well when contributing numbers to international duty. The issue is with the squad players we have accumulated. At least with the academy pulling out talent in numbers we can recruit less players of more quality and plug the gap with young lads desperate to impress.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The only international I see needing getting rid of Youngs, but that will never happen because he’s a teacher’s pet to the Rugby Commitee.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Interesting, I see Jonathon Davies being lined should Manu go. That would be a fairly good replacement.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

happywomble wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:28 pm Interesting, I see Jonathon Davies being lined should Manu go. That would be a fairly good replacement.
If the regional merger us now off then the players are not likely to be looking for a move now?
As Good As It Gets
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:07 pm So you're admitting it's a coaching problem then?
Who? Me? No. Have a look at that list and tell me how many have been injured/unavailable for a good chunk of the season.
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

What about a player from Italy because it seems like they've little eligibility rules and after this six nations there are some real good players like Tommaso Allen, Braam Steyn, Jayden Haywood and Sebastien Negri, who are all still probably on little money in Italy
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Scuttle wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:23 pm
happywomble wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:28 pm Interesting, I see Jonathon Davies being lined should Manu go. That would be a fairly good replacement.
If the regional merger us now off then the players are not likely to be looking for a move now?
Maybe but for a 30 year old like Davies the stability of the club might be a worry.

Tigers have a lot of issues but stability wise is more secure than elsewhere even if we got relegated.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Richardfje wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:29 pm What about a player from Italy because it seems like they've little eligibility rules and after this six nations there are some real good players like Tommaso Allen, Braam Steyn, Jayden Haywood and Sebastien Negri, who are all still probably on little money in Italy
Negri spent a few seasons with Hartpury so he's familiar with the country but probably has more links to Gloucester in terms of friendships. He's in contract until 2020 at Treviso unfortunately. He'd slot into the squad very well as a hard hitting blindside.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

If you sign one Davies brother you want both really....
Personally I would love to see either with us, but age is against Foxy...he is arguably with Manu the best centres in the Northern hemisphere.
To win is not as important as playing with style!