Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 5

Post by RagingBull »

Where's the rumour about Fred T going?

Also wouldn't be holding your breaths about the "Marquee" locks just yet.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

My mind started wandering and let's pretend Manu stays,he wouldn't start with Taute imo,too blunt. So would it be worth trying to replicate Manu and Slade with Manu and Worth?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:13 pm Where's the rumour about Fred T going?
He'll be 22 in the summer and hasn't had much game time or made much impact. It's pretty routine speculation when a player's at an age where they need to be getting regular game time to improve.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

ABClub wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:43 pm
RagingBull wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:13 pm Where's the rumour about Fred T going?
He'll be 22 in the summer and hasn't had much game time or made much impact. It's pretty routine speculation when a player's at an age where they need to be getting regular game time to improve.
So just putting 2 + 2 together?
22 and cheap.

I would be surprised if we let him go just yet. Especially after that Saints game in the prem cup.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:24 pm My mind started wandering and let's pretend Manu stays,he wouldn't start with Taute imo,too blunt. So would it be worth trying to replicate Manu and Slade with Manu and Worth?
I'd assume that Reid will slot into the 12 shirt as a direct replacement for Toomua. Taute will be there to rotate with Manu and cover during the international periods. We certainly need a second direct option in the midfield especially if Smith is retiring and Owen moving on. Reid should offer a good running threat and the ability to create a bit off Ford.

On current form I'd be tempted to keep Worth at 15 and have him cover centre as and when. He's looked really strong under the high ball and if he keeps refining his kicking game we can start controlling territory far better than in recent years where we've relied on our fullback to run it back and create something. Coming into the line and linking with the wingers as he did against Sarries offers us more creation out wide as well. With young Steward on the way through with his big boot as well the role of a kicking 15 could be more of a fixture.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:09 pm
ABClub wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:43 pm
So just putting 2 + 2 together?
22 and cheap.

I would be surprised if we let him go just yet. Especially after that Saints game in the prem cup.
Yep, just supposition on my part. A few others have said they expect him to leave but that seems linked to Manu's future being up in the air.

At his age there is also the question of whether he will want to look elsewhere for game time as well as whether the club see him as part of the future.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

denton still struggling with HIA issues. Is he now a worry?
cheers
Rich
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:13 pm Also wouldn't be holding your breaths about the "Marquee" locks just yet.
Struggling to get one over the line or not actually looking at one.

Would be very surprised if the club aren't looking at one though?

Plus if Fitz joins Williams and Kitchener heading out the door, leaves us very short in that department, even with Green allegedly coming in.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:19 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:24 pm My mind started wandering and let's pretend Manu stays,he wouldn't start with Taute imo,too blunt. So would it be worth trying to replicate Manu and Slade with Manu and Worth?
I'd assume that Reid will slot into the 12 shirt as a direct replacement for Toomua. Taute will be there to rotate with Manu and cover during the international periods. We certainly need a second direct option in the midfield especially if Smith is retiring and Owen moving on. Reid should offer a good running threat and the ability to create a bit off Ford.

On current form I'd be tempted to keep Worth at 15 and have him cover centre as and when. He's looked really strong under the high ball and if he keeps refining his kicking game we can start controlling territory far better than in recent years where we've relied on our fullback to run it back and create something. Coming into the line and linking with the wingers as he did against Sarries offers us more creation out wide as well. With young Steward on the way through with his big boot as well the role of a kicking 15 could be more of a fixture.
I would imagine first choice centres would be Manu now at 12 with Taute at 13. Reid on the bench who can cover 10 and 12. Plus Eastmond, that is a good crop of centres who can all rotate into the XV when needed.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rugby pass saying Manu has signed a 830,000 a year deal for Racing.

Even with England money we would’ve had to have offered around 600,000 + a season to match it.
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

I agree with this, I suspect that with everyone available Reid goes to 12 and Manu 13, presumably with GM trying to get Hardwick more involved at 10/12 where possible and Taute covering 13? A "World Cup" backline of White, Hardwick, Olo, Reid, Taute/Eastmond, TV and Worth (/Thompstone) would be green but good to see the younger lads coming through. The conveyer belt of talent looks good at both U20 and U18 so hopefully we try and "do an Exeter", so we can capitalise when the other less sustainable clubs realise that they've spent £500k on a player who might play 8 times a season for them!

I'm interested to see what happens with Smith, Tait, Varndell and Sarto, and whether this leads to a raft of "squad player" additional signings. Always prefer to twist rather than stick in the backs, (as it might get you a player like Jonah Holmes) but the club does need some stability...

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:19 pm

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Also wouldn't be holding your breaths about the "Marquee" locks just yet.
I’m probably being a bit mischievous RB but it’s well known that Manu is happiest with family round him so wouldn’t be surprised to see Fred go with him. I don’t honestly know how the French clubs are set up but if Racing have a development squad maybe there or a second tier French side
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

If Manu is off then that's hugely disappointing. I think the club will need to have a serious replacement in mind plus a few more exciting signings if they want fans to believe we're still serious about competing at the top level.

On one hand, I don't blame Manu but on the other hand, how many England internationals at other clubs are leaving for France? Not many. I'm concerned that his departure might be a sign of a much deeper malaise at Tigers. There was a time when players only left if we let them go.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Realistically this could be Manu’s last shot at a World Cup and the way England are playing it could be a good one. Therefore it makes a lot of sense for him to go now rather than in another two years when his worth will likely have diminished. I would wish him luck and then say to the squad let’s prove we are greater than just one player! :smt023