Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 5

Post by sam16111986 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:42 am
Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:23 pm Genge will go,not sure about the other 3.
I thought Genge was still under contract too?

Either way why do you think he’ll leave?
Genge is here for next season. He's a Bristol boy and Bristol will make him a very good offer to return home.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes thanks Sam,I think he's disillusioned and at times embarrassed too with most of our performances. If there isn't a significant upturn next season it will be his last imo.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I remember his yellow card at R92 last season too,you could see the utter frustration on his face at how dreadful we were,it really stuck with me. He was trying to single handedly turn us around on his own that day!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Not to rehash an old argument but the overwhelming feelings from rugby supporters who are not Tigers are that Manu owes us! It's not my intention to stir the nest but just to see the difference in feelings when he's not your player.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

Hopefully with the conf of GM and the new signings it will convince some of those that are out of contract to stay.

it must be soul destroying when you are giving your all and others around you aren't and the results are not coming...
cheers
Rich
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:15 am Yes thanks Sam,I think he's disillusioned and at times embarrassed too with most of our performances. If there isn't a significant upturn next season it will be his last imo.
A year is a long time in rugby so all is not lost.

I think given a summer of far better recruitment to follow Taufau, the ongoing development of the younger players and what I fully expect to be a better start to next season (with some continuing progress between now and then I hasten to add) the likes of Genge & Veianu will see Leicester as a good place to stay as we rebuild.

Bristol may have to wait another 4-5 years before he goes there by which time I reckon the damage of the past 10 years will be turned around and if we are winning trophies he'll stay anyway.

Sport tends to go in cycles and all being well the next 12-18 months will demonstrate the club is getting its house in order and in another 4-5 years we'll be back at the top domestically and in Europe as the likes of Exeter and Sarries drop off just through the very cyclical nature of sport.
Lammy

Post by Lammy »

TTRITH wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:18 am
RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:28 pm i'm pretty sure Veainu is still in contract end of next season.

polota nau is.
Dan Cole, Matt Toomua, Telusa Veaniu, Mike Williams and Greg Bateman all re-signed, and announced on the same day, in the 17-18 season.

I'd have imagined that Cole and Veaniu would have been on 3 year deals. I'd suggest Bateman might be out of contract at the end of next season though.
Bateman signed a three year deal.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Scott 1 we were not dreadful at Racing last season, we were the season before but last year we got an LB, I am not saying we were good but we were not dreadful. Genge is part of a team, he is a good player but he still has lots to learn. Bristol maybe his team and he may well finish his career there or he may decide Leicester is his new home. As a professional he needs to be where the rewards, be it in pay packet or in job satisfaction are best, of course if kids come into the reckoning as it may for any young guy other factors come into play.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Maybe it was the season before then,but we were very poor. It was the game with our comical rolling mauls where we botched about 3 in very promising positions
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

It's all gone very quiet on this thread. :smt017 :smt005 :smt005
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

:smt017
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I feel I'm one of the few who feels positive from the rumours that I've heard.

From the more reliable rumours going around I am positive - Green, Reid and Taute would be excellent additions to the squad. Taufua is a great signing and the youngsters extending were very important for the clubs future.

If Fitzgerald, O'Connor, Evans, Mapapalangi and Fred T are joining Kitchener and Williams as moving on then there is a lot of cap to play with in the area where this squad needs most improvement. Add a potential marquee forward to that as well.

From the rumoured outgoings in the forwards the only one I'd consider a real blow is Evans. He's a cracking talent but with Reffell, Gough and Eveleigh coming through there is talent to replace him. The rest are largely players that most fans have complained about for a long time - either guys who haven't kicked on or simply aren't offering enough on the field.

A lack of pace and depth in the back three has been lamented but adding Charlie Walker and Sarto for next season could go a long way to helping that.

From what little we've heard it sounds like the club are targeting recruitment in the areas that most of the fans are screaming for improvement.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

So would everyone be happy with this starting pack?

Genge
Youngs
Cole
Spencer
Marquee
Taufua
Thompson
Denton
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

personally I think TPN is better than Youngs now but as a starting 8 that's decent
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes good shout on TPN!