LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 5

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 5

Post by DingDong »

Welcome back Charlie Clare, good to see Murphy bringing even more former Tigers back into the system to reinvigorate that old Tigers snarl. Wouldn't mind one or two more especially Slater!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

DingDong wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:31 pm Welcome back Charlie Clare, good to see Murphy bringing even more former Tigers back into the system to reinvigorate that old Tigers snarl. Wouldn't mind one or two more especially Slater!
I am liking the cut of Smurf's jib more and more. It's as if he sat back and watched the BoD founder, picking losers, while relegated to a minor role, especially by MOC. Telling he keeps the line open to RC as well as to Leinster (Leo?)and elsewhere. Picking up the old boys who made good or got discarded wrongly, really boosting the U20 and below into senior demands (Heyes!), hope he has Ryan Olowefela on contract post 7s......I am genuinely excited about this, the boy knows what he wants. Think we will only make top 6 by the skin of the teeth this year, but in the next 2 years climb into permanent top 4 again, and better.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I would dearly love to see big Ed Slater back in the Tiger's den.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Dangerous4 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:24 pm I would dearly love to see big Ed Slater back in the Tiger's den.
Should've never gone. :smt009
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:06 pm I am liking the cut of Smurf's jib more and more. It's as if he sat back and watched the BoD founder, picking losers, while relegated to a minor role, especially by MOC. Telling he keeps the line open to RC as well as to Leinster (Leo?)and elsewhere. Picking up the old boys who made good or got discarded wrongly, really boosting the U20 and below into senior demands (Heyes!), hope he has Ryan Olowefela on contract post 7s......I am genuinely excited about this, the boy knows what he wants. Think we will only make top 6 by the skin of the teeth this year, but in the next 2 years climb into permanent top 4 again, and better.
Agree 100% with this post, but that perhaps only brings us level with the teams around us; level playing field. However I'm confident that GM knows what he wants and has robust plans to climb above those other teams around us; all the other teams will be looking to kick on from their current status.

:smt023 :smt023
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

watched the lttv interview last night and GM seemed pretty happy that we have signed soem big names. Can't wait for the announcements.
cheers
Rich
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Rykard wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:51 am watched the lttv interview last night and GM seemed pretty happy that we have signed soem big names. Can't wait for the announcements.
I thought the same. GM seemed very happy with the recruitment and was adamant there were some big names! Can’t wait to see who we’ve got!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I think I'm going to approach this season now as essentially a free hit and start judging from next season. That doesn't mean I want us to fall away but without a preseason fully in charge and only just able to recruit his own players I don't think it would be fair on GM to produce too much in the time he's had. Anyone else feel the same way?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:11 pm I think I'm going to approach this season now as essentially a free hit and start judging from next season. That doesn't mean I want us to fall away but without a preseason fully in charge and only just able to recruit his own players I don't think it would be fair on GM to produce too much in the time he's had. Anyone else feel the same way?
I feel the same way. The last couple of seasons have been messy from a coaching point of view and it is easy to underestimate the effect that has on the players. With a more settled coaching unit I feel things will stabilise on the playing side, even if not actually producing the specific high points we would like; this and some good signings mean it augurs well for the future.
As Good As It Gets
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

I wrongly put a few pages back that I though Taute was mainly a 12. However, seen some clips and he appears to be best played at 13. Therefore I wonder if we’ll see Tuilagi played at 12.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Another comment on Manu's possible future - https://intheloose.com/2019/02/12/tuila ... -interest/

lets hope they are wrong
Hehehehehehehehe
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I suppose it comes down to whether England are prepared to invoke their special circumstances rule. If they do he will be off imo,if not then he will stay because playing for England means a lot to him and the £250k? per season you can earn in an England shirt will make up some of the shortfall in salary. Plus he owes us bigtime imo.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Scott1 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:59 pm I suppose it comes down to whether England are prepared to invoke their special circumstances rule. If they do he will be off imo,if not then he will stay because playing for England means a lot to him and the £250k? per season you can earn in an England shirt will make up some of the shortfall in salary. Plus he owes us bigtime imo.
Don’t think he owes us anything to be honest. Days of loyalty are long gone, both from a player and from the clubs perspective. From what I’ve heard he’s worked hard as anybody to come back fit, so what more can be asked from him. Not to get injured?

However, I’m hoping he will stay. He’s just had a baby and is settled in the area. Plus he’s back in the England fold and no doubt the contract we’ve offered is still a sizeable salary.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:33 pm Another comment on Manu's possible future - https://intheloose.com/2019/02/12/tuila ... -interest/

lets hope they are wrong
I have mentioned a couple of times in the last few weeks that I have a hunch on Racing for Manu. No evidence at all, just a hunch based on body language and interaction in our home game with them. I think it was on then. It would be a shame but one person does not make a team good; it depends on their replacement and other signings; get those right and we will be fine. Confident if wrong 😂!!
As Good As It Gets
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Manu needs to do what is best for himself and his family. That doesn't always mean taking the biggest pay cheque. He doesn't owe the club anything his rehab was rugby business not philanthropy.
I'm not cynical just experienced