LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 5

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 5

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:14 pm I believe a top club needs 4 good locks and Spencer,Slater,marquee,Wells would make up a very good foursome.
Spencer, Slater, Green, Wells, Voss then the development guys Jordan and Lewis with Martin on his way through. That's plenty of good locks. If Green and Slater returned we wouldn't need another marquee lock.

That marquee money could be spent elsewhere. Even if that's moving a current big earner to the marquee slot just to allow us to increase the quality of the squad. Whilst it would be nice to have a big horrible international class brute it's more important to have a strong squad, no average squad filler though.

I think Kalamafoni covered lock a little got Glaws on his final season there. As he's getting on that might become a more regular occurrence.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Voss could feature next season too. PSDT is a better option than De Jager imo for the reasons you state.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes Sam I agree,Slater or Marquee not both.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Myself I shall be utilising positive mental attitude, vision boarding, The Secret and possibly transcendental meditation to try and make Brodie Retallick a Tiger.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I think to have good squad with depth you need ideally 5 locks. Now I think some people are a bit biased when it comes to Wells as he came through the academy. Yes he’s a good player but for me he’s only a good squad depth player and I’d say fifth choice. With injuries and rotation he’ll still get gametime but if we want to make top 4 we need better.

Green and Spencer are both very good locks, but neither are international class. No doubt they will perform in a Tigers shirt but I feel like to truly challenge we need a marquee lock with a great partner like Slater.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:27 pm I think to have good squad with depth you need ideally 5 locks. Now I think some people are a bit biased when it comes to Wells as he came through the academy. Yes he’s a good player but for me he’s only a good squad depth player and I’d say fifth choice. With injuries and rotation he’ll still get gametime but if we want to make top 4 we need better.

Green and Spencer are both very good locks, but neither are international class. No doubt they will perform in a Tigers shirt but I feel like to truly challenge we need a marquee lock with a great partner like Slater.
That's very harsh on Wells. He's been our best lock for the last two seasons. Now I agree you don't want him as first choice but he's the ideal kind of squad man you know you can bring in and know he can do a good job.

To have another lock on top of Slater, Spencer, Wells and Green would be a lot of resources spent on five players of which only two can play (three in the squad). With the young talent on the way through that's also a lot of players in between them and a chance in the first team.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ABClub wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:27 pm
A marquee will be away for international duty then 4 quality locks plus a big tent forward would be great squad balance.
Not necessarily. With the marquee you can possibly afford to cover the money they'd lose by not playing international matches. So, if they earned £15-20K per international match, say 10 per year, you can cover that without denting the cap...

...as long as you write a solid contract that ensures their union can't poach them back against their own "rules".
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I would say there is next to no chance of Slater returning for next season.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:01 pm I would say there is next to no chance of Slater returning for next season.
Would you? Not sure I would. I think you’re very right!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think Sam Lewis has the potential to become the next Jamie Gibson, before he decided to bog off to Saints.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

JP14 wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:54 am I think Sam Lewis has the potential to become the next Jamie Gibson, before he decided to bog off to Saints.
That one still irks.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

TTRITH wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:58 am
JP14 wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:54 am I think Sam Lewis has the potential to become the next Jamie Gibson, before he decided to bog off to Saints.
That one still irks.
Given he is one of a very few who features on nobody's social media ( unlike Fred, Ed, Niki, Logo etc) perhaps the gossip about not getting on with the rest is true?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:36 am
That one still irks.
Given he is one of a very few who features on nobody's social media ( unlike Fred, Ed, Niki, Logo etc) perhaps the gossip about not getting on with the rest is true?
I never fully convinced cockerill actually liked him that much as a player.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I was told that there was a choice between Croft and Gibson and the bod picked Croft. I don't know how true that is though
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:42 am
jgriffin wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:36 am

That one still irks.
I never fully convinced cockerill actually liked him that much as a player.
I rember one of Gibson neighbours telling me that he and Cockers didn’t get on at all. 2 people very much cut from different clothes and Gibson didn’t get on at all with Cockerill mam management style