6th or 7th?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

6th or 7th?

Post by anz3001 »

We might make it top 4. And I’ll continue to hope for that until it’s mathamatically impossible. 5th I’d be happy with, all things considered BUT would I prefer 6th over 7th? I’m not sure, European rugby and everything that comes with it, good and bad? Which would you prefer for NEXT SEASON only.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: 6th or 7th?

Post by Mark62 »

7th for me. Would rather we played in a European competition we were competitive in and maybe even managed to rotate players in some games than in a competition we will struggle in for the next season.

I honestly don’t think it matters in terms of attracting SH players as they have little knowledge of European rugby
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Definitely top 6, I want us to be playing with and competing with the top teams, I believe we can do it, I don't think we need Southern Hemisphere players, we need a team of good players that play as a team not one divided by culture and vast differences in wages.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

6th. Don't even need to think about it. I think we'll finish higher than that anyway.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

My major concern is that we need time to rebuild and a season where we do not have to face the pressures and demands of top flight European rugby may be of benefit looking at the bigger picture.

I get that fans want us to finish as high up the premiership as possible and want to see us testing ourselves against the best sides, but then this time next season and we’re looking at a 2 and 4 or 1 and 5 in Europe how many posters will be calling for heads to roll
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:38 pm My major concern is that we need time to rebuild and a season where we do not have to face the pressures and demands of top flight European rugby may be of benefit looking at the bigger picture.

I get that fans want us to finish as high up the premiership as possible and want to see us testing ourselves against the best sides, but then this time next season and we’re looking at a 2 and 4 or 1 and 5 in Europe how many posters will be calling for heads to roll
2 and 4 or 1 and 5?

I'm confused.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

It might be 0 and 6 if we carry on with the trend!!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Sorry 2 wins and 4 losses or 1 win and 5 losses
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:06 pm Sorry 2 wins and 4 losses or 1 win and 5 losses
Oh ok
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

My wife always finds it funny the way I don't like to enter things unless I know I can win. She thinks you should have a crack and do your best. Deep down I know she is right. :smt050
As Good As It Gets
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I understand why the question is being asked but the same question was asked about top 4, now it's about ERC qualification. I see no benefit to dropping down the pecking order. Quite the opposite. I don't want the likes of Heyes to think that is the level he should be playing at. I don't want to see George Ford watching the play offs from his armchair and looking for to playing in Romania next season.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Personally i'd rather be the worst of the best than the best of the worst. No more excuses if Geordie can't make at least 6th with that squad.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

We shouldn't even be entertaining the thought of not qualifying for RCC,we are the only ever presents ! Another record about to be broken??!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Some good points made I think the OP. Said for next season not for the foreseeable future.

Clermont have played in the secondary cup this season and used it to rebuild and are challenging for the top 14 this season from I think 9th last
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I can see both sides of the argument, but I don't personally mind. The main issue is that we begin the rebuilding process successfully, regardless if whichever European competition we are in.