6th or 7th?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 6th or 7th?

Post by fortysix »

We allegedly have been rebuilding for five years...

Happy Clappers, please see some common sense, we need to improve--------------and very very quickly..

Unfortunately apart from Heyes, I cannot see one up and coming youngster. Evans, yes, but he is apparantly leaving, and who can blame him if his salary improves 50%

The others, are all far far too slow, too slight, and just not at Premiership level. Maybe in five years, but Leicester Tigers cant wait that long.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

In order to get as high as 7th we need wins, and all the teams above us are going stronger than we are. I'm not a doom monger I'm just a realist and I do wish people would stop going on like things are magically going to turn around.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:08 am In order to get as high as 7th we need wins, and all the teams above us are going stronger than we are. I'm not a doom monger I'm just a realist and I do wish people would stop going on like things are magically going to turn around.
Bring a realist I'm sure you'll have noticed that 4 of the 6 teams currently above us only have 1 more win than we do and are just as inconsistent as we are?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

fortysix wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:52 pm We allegedly have been rebuilding for five years...

Happy Clappers, please see some common sense, we need to improve--------------and very very quickly..

Unfortunately apart from Heyes, I cannot see one up and coming youngster. Evans, yes, but he is apparantly leaving, and who can blame him if his salary improves 50%

The others, are all far far too slow, too slight, and just not at Premiership level. Maybe in five years, but Leicester Tigers cant wait that long.
I think Worth has looked a steady squad player and Owolofela looks to have potential to kick in again next season. Not from the academy but he did go into the development squad originally, Kerr has been a revelation this season. White has improved notably since the start of the season and we still have Simmons to come back, Hardwick looks to be coming through well also. Reffell has impressed when given opportunity and he's got a second year of captaining Wales under 20s ahead of him.

Whilst we do need to improve now developing the youngsters is essential for next season. We need to develop the squad depth to cover for the RWC period and having reliable youngsters filling out the squad places should mean that we need less senior numbers and can perhaps trim the senior player numbers by one or two in certain areas and bring in more quality instead.

Quick illustration; Heyes development at tighthead could save us a fortune as it means we could release Cortes and Ma'afu in the summer, bring in the big Samoan who covers both sides and still have some money then to reinvest in the centres or back five of the scrum. Same with Kerr, we should be able to release one of Stevens or McMillan and then that's some more cap freed up with TPN (once the RWC is over), Youngs and Stevens/McMillan giving us still four senior options. Better still if Mahoney looks the business today off the bench as that is another option meaning the summer after next etc...
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mahoney 100% would have played in preseason and earlier in the competition if it wasn’t for concussion, great prospect, very speedy hooker.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:57 am Mahoney 100% would have played in preseason and earlier in the competition if it wasn’t for concussion, great prospect, very speedy hooker.
He does look an excellent prospect. Given game time he should become even better.