ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: EXTRA POINT

Post by ellis9 »

northerntiger wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:20 pm
ellis9 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:12 pm
northerntiger wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:09 pm

Not necessarily 'more' but entertaining, yes. I remember watching some awful matches, littered with mistakes. Watch the famous Baabaas game for the full 80, apart from that try it wasn't that good.
So not more entertaining? So it's already entertaining? If so, why try to change it? Which Barbarians game?
You know exactly which Barbarians game
No I don't. Why presume I do?

Edit: Oh, I've just realised. The All Blacks v Barbarians match! I thought you were talking about a Tigers match.

That was much longer than 20 years ago though.
nasher

Post by nasher »

Why not give extra points for the "big hits" the TV commentators rave about. The game has become sterile consisting of bulldozer moves to gain a yard then do it again and again till the scrum half kicks it away. At least rugby league has the six tackle rule to stop it happening ad infinitum. To make the game attractive the fundamentals need looking at not awarding points for different scores
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

A supporter would rather their team won 3-0 than lost 48-50. A neutral fan sitting at home watching on TV would usually prefer to watch a 50-48 game rather than a 3-0 so it depends on perspective. That said, the Ireland vs NZ game was relatively low scoring but compulsive viewing for all that.

Quite possibly the powers that be are trying to maximize the wider appeal of the sport by attracting millions of TV fans? (and the TV advertising revenue etc that comes with that).
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

:smt023 Exactly so.

Who wants to see the game killed off?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Not a jock wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:10 pm A supporter would rather their team won 3-0 than lost 48-50. A neutral fan sitting at home watching on TV would usually prefer to watch a 50-48 game rather than a 3-0 so it depends on perspective. That said, the Ireland vs NZ game was relatively low scoring but compulsive viewing for all that.

Quite possibly the powers that be are trying to maximize the wider appeal of the sport by attracting millions of TV fans? (and the TV advertising revenue etc that comes with that).
The game will attract people without needing to "speed it up". It may not attract as many but why does that matter? There is enough money in the game already so as long as clubs use their money sensibly, they will continue to exsist.

If they keep changing and adapting laws, people won't understand them anyway so won't bother with the game. By keeping things as simple as possible, people will understand what is going on.
Last edited by ellis9 on Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Maybe I'm incredibly old-fashioned but what do the players think?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

From what I have heard them say players are in favour of the tbp system.
I would imagine coaches prefer it as it is now as it should mean being able to replace players when the 4 try’s are scored rather than risk losing it