Dead rubber v Ulster

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Dead rubber v Ulster

Post by Scott1 »

Nothing untoward there for me,just honesty! The usual anti Tigers stuff from other fans then by the sounds of it.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I saw a comment regarding the bench.
They didn't do enough in my opinion.
In a one point game at home you'd expect a bit more finishing pressure on the opposition.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Where did you see that BFG?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:34 pm Where did you see that BFG?
Tigers Twitter..."I was disappointed with our bench and think that they may have taken away from the feel of the game. I was disappointed with their the impact on the team."

To be honest I do agree with it.
Like I said before, a one point match at home, it's a massive opportunity to go and do the business.
Opportunities just don't come any better than that in my opinion.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

So why did Geordon put them on then, Cole most certainly did not want to come off and left field saying, "Why why why"?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

LE18 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:44 pm So why did Geordon put them on then, Cole most certainly did not want to come off and left field saying, "Why why why"?
To be fair every man and his dog have been barking that players like Cole are overplayed and the youngsters don't get enough good opportunities.
Well in my opinion the opportunities don't come any better than yesterday.
Also to be fair to the coaches you'd expect a bit more hunger and pressure to be applied at Welford Road in the finishing stages of a one point match.
Coaches are often damned if they do and damned if they don't.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Replacing the entire front row en masse was an odd manoeuvre I thought, did Geordie really expect Ross McMillan to be a game changer? Evans and Wells held their own against seasoned campaigners, White and Aspland-Robinson are youngsters in development not given much to do and Joe Ford did us all a favour and stayed in his seat, what more could we expect?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Given that Tigers have only got one more game before 16th Feb, this was an ideal opportunity to give the bench some game time.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:37 pm Replacing the entire front row en masse was an odd manoeuvre I thought, did Geordie really expect Ross McMillan to be a game changer? Evans and Wells held their own against seasoned campaigners, White and Aspland-Robinson are youngsters in development not given much to do and Joe Ford did us all a favour and stayed in his seat, what more could we expect?
Kerr looked tired in the second half and Bateman has only recently returned to playing. We needed some fresh blood. Made sense to replace the front row en masse as pre game they'd have all been scrumming as units so they'd be ready to play together. Dan needs protecting from himself, he plays a lot of minutes and needs to manage his fitness. Giving Heyes who's looked decent so far some minutes to continue his development isn't a bad thing.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Just watched the highlights and the chat with Geordie afterwards.

"A real lack of effort off the ball..."

If anyone doubts his ability to tell the players some hard truths - there's your answer.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:59 pm Just watched the highlights and the chat with Geordie afterwards.

"A real lack of effort off the ball..."

If anyone doubts his ability to tell the players some hard truths - there's your answer.
In attack he's absolutely spot on. We made breaks but nobody got on the shoulder for an offload. When those include breaks by Bateman and Cole there's no excuse.

Murphy is a proud man who doesn't like losing. I don't think he's a man who will accept mediocrity.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

If you expect to get around the corner after only one or two phases of play then the only outcome will be that the ball will travel lateral until the defence is sucked in to allow space. The Tigers were not smart enough. BY was poor and did not help matters. Only the glue of GF held it together yet again? IMO not enough 'umph' from the scrum back 5 to make the space? Wells showed the way when he came on. Finally to fluff the drive to the line that would have won it was a real blow. Henderson was amazingly good, just coming back too, Tigers forwards should take note?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Dead dead rubber v Ulster

Post by Dangerous4 »

ellis9 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:41 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:34 pm I also do not believe that Holmes best position is full back. We need a full back who can read the game quickly and set up attacks that pin the ears back of the opposition. The "rumble wagon" (scrum) performed better today, but still looks as though the back five are not up to standard.
We've got one! He's out injured.
Yup. DD of course, if he can stay fit. :smt023
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

QF confirmed
Sarries v Glasgow
Edinburgh v Munster
Leinster v Ulster
R92 v Toulouse

Might be two away winners there in Munster and Toulouse
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Away to Racing is the best chance Toulouse have of making the semis, and I'd not be at all surprised if they won.
Going to either Sarries or Leinster would've been nigh on impossible.
Munster will probably be too tough a hurdle to cross for Embra and Ulster will only be going to Dublin for the beer.
Semis of Toulouse, Sarries, Munster and Leinster for me.
Semper in excretia