Dead rubber v Ulster

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerssteve

Re: Dead dead rubber v Ulster

Post by tigerssteve »

ellis9 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:08 am
MrPartridge wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:30 am Just a small comment. Fielding a stronger team today is no surprise.

It was the same last year... all of the loyal fans we went to Castres in Rnd 5 had to suck up a weakened team and a chastening loss. Then in the Rnd 6 home dead rubber O’Connor put out the best team. Same this year for Scarlets and Ulster.

Again the away fans get a raw deal but we clearly must keep all the home fans happy with a strong side!

I vaguely understand the approach today but this is a meaningless game, same as last week. We get 1/2 of our key players injured today and the policy will look a bit silly won’t it? We have one priority for me: the league. Top 4 is the primary aim, Top 6 is the minimum requirement. Winning by 1 today or losing by 30 doesn’t change anything in the Pool for us.

There might even be a good argument to play the team most likely to feature in our next league game... it certainly won’t look much like today’s side!
Firstly, those that go to away games, have a choice. No one makes you go, you choose to. Just as I did for the Bristol game. You're going there to support Tigers, irrelevant of what players pull on the shirt.

Secondly, it makes a huge difference whether we win by 1 point or lose by 30. If we lose by 30, people on here will believe we are the worst team in the history of the game. We win by one and it's just about bearable on here.
The fans who go to home matches have a choice too! I agree with your second point though.
TigerAwood

Post by TigerAwood »

Watching on TV not bad for a "dead game" lots of errors from both sides but good "entertainment ".
Could we be on the mend?
Don't answer that question as I think I know what some will say.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

"ANOTHER" loss! How many is that now under GM?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Oh Lord, we've let them back. :smt022
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Oh well,another plucky loss,we will look at the tapes Monday,parts of our game were good yawwwwnnnn!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
newport tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by newport tiger »

We seem to have this knack of finding hookers who can't throw into the line-out.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

How many tries have we conceded this season whereby our hooker has thrown it straight to the opposition when we're defending close to our line? I'm a big fan of Jake Kerr but this has happened so many times regardless of who is throwing.

I thought we played well but we need Telusa back and for Holmes to go back on the wing. Olowofela looks steady but has a habit of getting pushed into touch too easily and doesn't seem to make many breaks. I'm sure he'll get better the more he plays.

Disappointing that virtually our strongest team have lost at home again. There's green shoots but ultimately handing errors have cost us again.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Summarisers very critical of Holmes for the try and Olowefela in general.

Their bench had a greater impact.
On the whole much better but the major failing was poor presentation of the ball at rucks
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Unfortunate Irish biase on BT commentary and summarising not giving Tigers much, if any, credit for a good performance!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Very disappointing, when Ulster upped their game some Tigers players simply went into their shell.

Pack (including hooker) seem to lose focus when under pressure.

Will Evans looks class
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Another loss at home, half empty stadium and bottom of the table, how the mighty have fallen.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Same old, same old, another brain dead game in a dead rubber. Not the worst performance this season but apart from one good via the kick through generally second best to an average Ulster side. Can't see it getting better this season or next. :smt009

PS: Saw loads of empty seats.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Looking at the stats, they outplayed us in every department. Not good at all.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Close......but no cigar......or Remy. Slow ball and fumbles at critical times cost us a win. Thought Ford, Cole, Evans and O'Connor were good today and it's a shame Williams is going to Bath.

Manu wasn't on the same page as the rest of the team today and his errors cost us the first try.......or at least the field position that led to it.

On the whole....... better....with a few injury reinforcements to come back there's hope.....still wondering about Youngs though....
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

G.K wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:14 pm Same old, same old, another brain dead game in a dead rubber. Not the worst performance this season but apart from one good via the kick through generally second best to an average Ulster side. Can't see it getting better this season or next. :smt009

PS: Saw loads of empty seats.
An average Ulster side that beat Racing 92 last week ? :smt017