Dead rubber v Ulster

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Dead dead rubber v Ulster

Post by Ian Cant »

Murphy also said, “Genge is struggling with a knock or two, Cole could do with more rest and Harrison is still struggling!”
He sounded really dejected about the injuries and the fact that Holmes will be away with Wales.
You do wonder who will play in the backs for the 6 Nations: have to hope Varndell and Sarto can somehow produce brilliant performances along with whoever is fit.
Somehow Tigers have to really dig in and pick up whatever points they can.
Will be there on Saturday v Ulster hoping to put up some resistance and please no more injuries.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

So by the sounds of it we will be playing a similar team as injuries and international squads are largely forcing our hand. Which leaves a team of something like:

Bateman, Kerr, Heyes, Wells, Kitchener, O'Connor, Evans, Kalamafoni, Youngs, Ford, May, Toomua, Tuilangi, Olowofela, Holmes

Subs: McMillan, Gigena, Faeo, Williams, Fitzgerald, White, Worth,(Owen/Varndell/Sarto/Aspland-Robinson)

It could possibly be weaker than this as well if internationals are totally not selected.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Best runner up slots are looking very competitive so Ulster will be gunning hard for their own BP, could get very messy indeed. Not sure I've got it in me to watch more Sarries games than I absolutely have to so i think I'll concentrate on cheering Worcester in the challenge whatsit for the rest of the European season.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I'll be cheering on Munster v Chiefs :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Take away the injuries, and the likelihood of Internationals not playing, and it will be a drastically weakened team, as opposed to full strength. The players who are picked will have to prove themselves if we are to win, and that is something has not happened so far, this season. I just hope we don't haemorrhage points once again.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

It will be interesting to see who's in the match day squad.
Chance for players to step up to the plate and make a name for themselves.
Who knows ? I'm just looking for young talent to turn up and take an opportunity.
I can't see us turning Ulster over, but I would prefer a dog fight than capitulation.(Metaphorically).

Another humiliation is not acceptable.......

Also interesting to see the Ulster selection... :smt022 :smt022
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Dangerous4 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:53 pm Take away the injuries, and the likelihood of Internationals not playing, and it will be a drastically weakened team, as opposed to full strength. The players who are picked will have to prove themselves if we are to win, and that is something has not happened so far, this season. I just hope we don't haemorrhage points once again.
If we do not field our best team available, including internationals, we will definitely haemorrhage points. It'll be ugly. And what's the point in resting the internationals - it's not like we have to save them for the weeks ahead.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

This should 100% be our strongest 23 available including all internationals. Zero point resting any of them.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

loretta wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:58 am
Dangerous4 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:53 pm Take away the injuries, and the likelihood of Internationals not playing, and it will be a drastically weakened team, as opposed to full strength. The players who are picked will have to prove themselves if we are to win, and that is something has not happened so far, this season. I just hope we don't haemorrhage points once again.
If we do not field our best team available, including internationals, we will definitely haemorrhage points. It'll be ugly. And what's the point in resting the internationals - it's not like we have to save them for the weeks ahead.
+1 :smt039
In my opinion Internationals are signed to a club and therefore that must be the first priority. A call up is an honour and should represent how you are delivering for your club. ( al la Cole)
Therefore resting club players for International duty for me is a nonsense.They may not start for the country, be benched,play 10 mins or may even be saved for the next game .Invariably come back injured and out for a period anyways.
Therefore club priority first get the job done. :smt017
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

wellstiger wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:49 am It will be interesting to see who's in the match day squad.
Who knows ? I'm just looking for young talent to turn up and take an opportunity.
I can't see us turning Ulster over, but I would prefer a dog fight than capitulation.(Metaphorically).

What if our young players turn up, try their hardest and play well but have 50 points out past them?

Surely you wouldn't call that unacceptable if they did all they could but got beaten by a better team?
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

ellis9 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:18 amWhat if our young players turn up, try their hardest and play well but have 50 points out past them? Surely you wouldn't call that unacceptable if they did all they could but got beaten by a better team?
Players commitment is never in doubt, but if Murphy starts the game with a weak squad as he did against Scarlets who had 70% possession, how do you expect any youngster to learn anything? Start strong with a bias towards 1st IV then feed in the youngsters so they at least have a competitive platform to build from. Another drubbing will just destroy confidence.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

ellis9 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:18 am
wellstiger wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:49 am It will be interesting to see who's in the match day squad.

What if our young players turn up, try their hardest and play well but have 50 points out past them?

Surely you wouldn't call that unacceptable if they did all they could but got beaten by a better team?
"I'm just looking for young talent to turn up and take an opportunity."

But yes if they get beaten by a better team. It would be acceptable.
Unacceptable for our strongest team, Not in a dog fight to have "as you quote 50 out points past them".

( Note to self - Must Explain myself more fully in the future )
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Leicester Tigers (v Ulster Rugby, Welford Road, Saturday 3.15pm)
15 Jonah Holmes       
14 Jonny May
13 Manu Tuilagi         
12 Matt Toomua        
11 Jordan Olowofela
10 George Ford (c)    
9 Ben Youngs
1 Greg Bateman
2 Jake Kerr
3 Dan Cole     
4 Mike Fitzgerald
5 Graham Kitchener
6 Mike Williams
7 Brendon O’Connor
8 Sione Kalamafoni   
Replacements
16 Ross McMillan
17 Facundo Gigena   
18 Joe Heyes
19 Harry Wells
20 Will Evans
21 Ben White
22 Joe Ford
23 Sam Aspland-Robinson
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Ben Youngs, Jonny May, Manu Tuilagi, George Ford and Dan Cole all return to the starting line-up after missing the defeat to the Scarlets last weekend.

Geordan is not messing around. He clearly wants to Welford Road back as it should be... a :censored: hard place to come to.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Ulster Rugby:

15 Louis Ludik, 14 Robert Baloucoune, 13 Will Addison, 12 Stuart McCloskey, 11 Jacob Stockdale, 10 Billy Burns, 9 David Shanahan; 1 Eric O'Sullivan, 2 Rory Best (c), 3 Marty Moore, 4 Iain Henderson, 5 Kieran Treadwell, 6 Sean Reidy, 7 Jordi Murphy, 8 Marcell Coetzee

Replacements: 16 Rob Herring, 17 Andy Warwick, 18 Ross Kane, 19 Alan O'Connor, 20 Nick Timoney, 21 John Cooney, 22 Michael Lowry, 23 Darren Cave

Henderson in the only change from last week. Gulp.