Madness

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SirGordonRamsey

Madness

Post by SirGordonRamsey »

Look at Edinburgh, we sacked Cockerill for coming in 4th? IN 4TH?!

Our succesion plan was to eventually sack interim head coach Mauger, and hire Matt O'connor. Someone with Tigers DNA, but who clearly had no place running a team, turning up two weeks late to preseason.

Surely sacking seasoned European Cup winning Cockerill would warrent a massive improvement in his replacement, even potentially an ex-international coach to see us get to prem finals again, but to go for the untested Reds attack coach, seems like such poor judgement.

Who is making these decision, and how are they still in a job when they're so catastrophiclly bad?
Egg Chasers Rugby Podcast: 'Tigers Jeresy, its like getting into an E Type Jag'
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Madness

Post by Mark62 »

The issue is you are not comparing like with like.
It would be like London having 1 rugby team and the current London teams feeding into it. Combine that with the rfu then telling the players what games they can play in with the Gallagher premiership being very much the third tier of fixtures after internationals and Europe.

Also and I know the Cockerill fans will not agree but the end of his stewardship was very much the start of where the current decline began and there’s an argument to say he stayed at least a season too long
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Things had stagnated under Cockerill and we tried to mix things up with different head coaches working underneath him without success. We needed a clean start.

The decision to appoint MOC was a complete calamity. Even the most casual rugby fan would have picked it either Van Graan or Ackerman as more suitable replacements.

Cockerill is still a high quality coach and it's great to see him having success north of the border.
SirGordonRamsey

I do agree that things had stagnated somewhat under Cockerill, but do we remeber the quality of the team?

Manu stuck in long term injury, with the likes of Seremia Bia as our starting inside centre, and Loamanu starting. I seem to remember there being little help from the board in opening up the wallet aswell.

Im not suggesting we should have kept him but in retrospect the combination of DOR Cockerill and attack coach Murphy sound pretty dangerous.

I think we can all agree decision making from the board has been attrocious.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

SirGordonRamsey wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:55 pm I do agree that things had stagnated somewhat under Cockerill, but do we remeber the quality of the team?

Manu stuck in long term injury, with the likes of Seremia Bia as our starting inside centre, and Loamanu starting. I seem to remember there being little help from the board in opening up the wallet aswell.

Im not suggesting we should have kept him but in retrospect the combination of DOR Cockerill and attack coach Murphy sound pretty dangerous.

The huge mess was created by the way Mauger was treated and then the appointment of O’Connor.. I think Murphy is the right choice but it isn’t going to happen overnight.
Will the ney sayers give him the time
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

SirGordonRamsey wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:55 pm I do agree that things had stagnated somewhat under Cockerill, but do we remeber the quality of the team?

Bai left before Cockers and Laomano was never a starter.

You could argue that Cockers got a great start to his career with a juggernaut of a pack to work with packed with experienced winners.

Had we appointed a DOR with a history of developing aggressive and attacking packs then we might have got somewhere and moved on.

Our transfer dealings have been hit and miss and until our recent academy changes we've not made the most of the available talent.
SirGordonRamsey

Our transfer dealings are still hit and miss *cough* Joe Ford *cough-cough*.

The ney sayers don't have a choice but to believe, can't continue the stream of sackings. And you're right it won't happen over night. I think more experience is needed in the coaching set up.

Apparently there was talk of Mike Ford taking some sort of position.

Sam you are right about 'moving on', and looking for someone to develop aggression in the pack. Looking for people constantly with Tigers DNA has held us back for years.

And yes Bai left before Cockers but to have someone of that 'calibre' in the Tigers back line was embarrasing. And again yes, Cockers did have a warm seat to settle into after being promoted from interim but he was and is DOR, not this weird combination of Ged Glynn :smt019 and a head coach.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

SirGordonRamsey wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:16 pm Our transfer dealings are still hit and miss *cough* Joe Ford *cough-cough*.

The ney sayers don't have a choice but to believe, can't continue the stream of sackings. And you're right it won't happen over night. I think more experience is needed in the coaching set up.

Apparently there was talk of Mike Ford taking some sort of position.

Sam you are right about 'moving on', and looking for someone to develop aggression in the pack. Looking for people constantly with Tigers DNA has held us back for years.

And yes Bai left before Cockers but to have someone of that 'calibre' in the Tigers back line was embarrasing. And again yes, Cockers did have a warm seat to settle into after being promoted from interim but he was and is DOR, not this weird combination of Ged Glynn :smt019 and a head coach.
I'm unsure on Ged Glynn. Some of the dodgy squad players we've signed have been disappointing, however, he's credited with turfing out the old bullies that were running the academy into the ground. Those big changes are starting to pay dividends.

When I say hit and miss for every Ma'afu and Joe Ford we've got a Genge, Spencer and Thompson. Last summer was better and if the rumours are true and we're off loading a few forwards to make room for some fresh blood then Murphy might have a chance next season. A pre season will make a big difference as well.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Talk about Brexit.......some will NEVER accept that the BoD treated Cockers badly long before he departed, for at least 3 or 4 seasons, and he was and is a coach of passion and intelligence, and Mauger a lightweight.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

You all know my thoughts on the situation. From Cockers to Mauger to MoC was operation out of the frying pan into the fire,a comedy of errors that will make a great tragic play one day! Cohen should've done what he said and scoured the world for that world class DOR we/I wanted. I don't think this "Tigers" way will work anymore ,I sincerely hope I'm wrong because I love GM but I think our time at the top has truly gone and won't return until there is a full clearout. RCC qualification isnt even a certainty this season.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
milesanderson
Tiger Cub

Post by milesanderson »

SirGordonRamsey wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:21 pm Look at Edinburgh, we sacked Cockerill for coming in 4th? IN 4TH?!

Our succesion plan was to eventually sack interim head coach Mauger, and hire Matt O'connor. Someone with Tigers DNA, but who clearly had no place running a team, turning up two weeks late to preseason.

Surely sacking seasoned European Cup winning Cockerill would warrent a massive improvement in his replacement, even potentially an ex-international coach to see us get to prem finals again, but to go for the untested Reds attack coach, seems like such poor judgement.

Who is making these decision, and how are they still in a job when they're so catastrophiclly bad?
Well we should have got rid of Murphy, when after a moment of sanity the Board sacked O'Connor. RC must be cock a hoop he's got Edinburgh in to the quarter finals of the Heineken, what a stupid blunder to have ever got rid of him!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:37 pm The issue is you are not comparing like with like.
It would be like London having 1 rugby team and the current London teams feeding into it. Combine that with the rfu then telling the players what games they can play in with the Gallagher premiership being very much the third tier of fixtures after internationals and Europe.

Also and I know the Cockerill fans will not agree but the end of his stewardship was very much the start of where the current decline began and there’s an argument to say he stayed at least a season too long
The population of Leicester's academy catchment area is nearly 4,500,000 and pretty close to the entire population of 5,300,000 in Scotland.
There are about 1,990,000 registered players in England compared to 38500 in Scotland.
Watching Edinburgh tonight I'd say that they work very hard and mostly play very smart which makes the most of what they have got and quite possibly comes from the head coach in my opinion.
SirGordonRamsey

Why would GM have to go? Surely theres not reason behind that opinion.

Glynn may have routed out the bullies, but he still sits at the helm of some really under whelming and seeingly pointless purchases. Why Get a Joe Ford when surely there is a championship 10 out there with great potential. Sarries have the staff to find Christian Judge from Pirates who Bath have signed, where was our last smart purchase like this?

Genge was a product of RC and really came because he was causing trouble at Bristol, RC and the Tigers forwards put him in his place, (Evidence to prove this :smt002 ).
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Let's all have a deep breath please! At the end of November Cockers rested all his team for a trip to Munster where they were destroyed conceding 8 tries and nearly 50 points ,including that night they hadn't won an away PRO14 game so far that season! He did this because he had Newcastle the week after at home in Europe and there is ZERO threat of relegation in their league!
Conversely let's look at Newcastle who were on course for a fairytale European adventure but HAD to sadly give up on it because of the threat of said relegation . Now they still might go down but let's have some perspective please. The top 3 out of each conference qualify for the RCC but Cardiff qualified this season in 4th because the Cheetahs who finished 3rd are ineligible while Treviso in the other conference didn't while still amassing more points than Cardiff. It's farcical! Their league is so geared up for Europe it's laughable!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

SirGordonRamsey wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:02 pm Why would GM have to go? Surely theres not reason behind that opinion.

Glynn may have routed out the bullies, but he still sits at the helm of some really under whelming and seeingly pointless purchases. Why Get a Joe Ford when surely there is a championship 10 out there with great potential. Sarries have the staff to find Christian Judge from Pirates who Bath have signed, where was our last smart purchase like this?

Genge was a product of RC and really came because he was causing trouble at Bristol, RC and the Tigers forwards put him in his place, (Evidence to prove this :smt002 ).
Genge was a prop with a huge amount of potential he just needed the right environment and mentors.

We signed an unknown player from Scarlets after scouting him in the LV, now a Welsh international, Owen Williams. Jake Kerr was playing and studying at Loughborough University when we brought him in as a development player. Fe'ao and Goneva were in the French second division. Ed Slater playing semi pro in Australia. We have unearthed some gems. We've also signed some players that weren't good enough.

I do think we tend to recruit badly from the Championship, there's talent down there and we don't tend to be the ones identifying it and bringing it to the premiership. We looked at both Kalamafoni and Thompson were looked at or trialled before signing for other AP clubs first.