The England Squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: The England Squad

Post by Scott1 »

Teds I remember that! How did they used to get away with it?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

The 'fourth front rower' was a tactic England seemed to use for a while as well. Robshaw and Wood being the usual proponents. I sometimes wondered if it was a crude way of giving a false impression of the England scrum advancing. I.e. the flankers are moving forwards so they must be on top.

Thankfully the refs clamped down on it before it became a pet peeve.

I just wish they'd do the same about hookers taking a step towards their lineout after both lines have been set. Hence a 'straight' throw can go directly to their jumper rather than down the tunnel. Tommy Taylor is a big one for that.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Soggypitch wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:14 pm
teds wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:11 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:55 pm No one seems to remember Sinckler's god-awful set piece performance in the reverse fixture last year then :smt017?
I remember not so long ago Sinckler being so poor at scrummaging that Luke Wallace slid up along side him to be the fourth member of the front row - extra loose head on the tight head side.
Well he did pretty well in the Autumn against some pretty tasty southern hemisphere loose heads.
While Moon allowed him to withstand the Kiwis and the Saffas, his best performance in the tight came against the Wallabies who since Greg Holmes left have really struggled in the scrum.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

ABClub wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:36 pm I just wish they'd do the same about hookers taking a step towards their lineout after both lines have been set. Hence a 'straight' throw can go directly to their jumper rather than down the tunnel. Tommy Taylor is a big one for that.
And while they are at it they can make sure the 9 put the ball into the tunnel and not straight into the 2nd rows feet.
I'm not cynical just experienced
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

ABClub wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:36 pm The 'fourth front rower' was a tactic England seemed to use for a while as well. Robshaw and Wood being the usual proponents. I sometimes wondered if it was a crude way of giving a false impression of the England scrum advancing. I.e. the flankers are moving forwards so they must be on top.

Thankfully the refs clamped down on it before it became a pet peeve.

I just wish they'd do the same about hookers taking a step towards their lineout after both lines have been set. Hence a 'straight' throw can go directly to their jumper rather than down the tunnel. Tommy Taylor is a big one for that.
Agreed! That drives me mad. Not just Tommy Taylor either, it’s happening in most games.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I know this thread is England but as Holmes has not made the Welsh team, I assume he will be released back to us asap?????????
Hehehehehehehehe
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:15 pm Teds I remember that! How did they used to get away with it?!
I have no idea! Add it to the list on inexplicable officiating decisions. Maybe one day Oliver Sacks will write a story about the neurological source of the cognitive disfunction of rugby officials. “The referee who mistook his wife for a haka”.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

teds wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:38 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:15 pm Teds I remember that! How did they used to get away with it?!
I have no idea! Add it to the list on inexplicable officiating decisions. Maybe one day Oliver Sacks will write a story about the neurological source of the cognitive disfunction of rugby officials. “The referee who mistook his wife for a haka”.
That would be a miracle since Sacks is dead.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:00 pm
teds wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:38 pm
That would be a miracle since Sacks is dead.
:smt005
That's even funnier than an extra loose head, on the tight head side!
:smt005