Have we missed a trick?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

rich1576

Have we missed a trick?

Post by rich1576 »

Just putting this out there. Saw today that Nathan Hughes is moving from Wasps to Bristol at the end of the season. I know he's had his injury problems, but he's a hell of a ball carrier and enforcer. Have we missed an opportunity to bring some needed bulk into the Tigers' pack?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Have we missed a trick?

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Maybe. But given his rumoured 500k per year salary at Bristol, we would never have been able to match that. Is he worth that much money in today’s market, not a chance. Would have also blown our wage structure out the water.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

rich1576 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:43 pm Just putting this out there. Saw today that Nathan Hughes is moving from Wasps to Bristol at the end of the season. I know he's had his injury problems, but he's a hell of a ball carrier and enforcer. Have we missed an opportunity to bring some needed bulk into the Tigers' pack?
To be honest I'm not convinced about Hughes, and I'm certain not at £500k and maybe missing for internationals (which he certainly shouldn't be anywhere near IMHO)
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

At £500k he's way overpriced.

If Tigers are spending Toomua's salary and marquee spot on forward then they could just about match that but there's better players you can get for that money. Hughes goes missing for large spells too often.

Pieter-Steph du Doit, Lood de Jager, Pablo Matera, Bill Mata, Peceli Yato, etc. Those are the quality of forwards I hope the board are looking at for that marquee spot.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

He's getting the big bucks off Bristol's tax-evading sugar daddy because they still believe he can be Billy Vunipola v.2. Myself I don't think he's ever lived up to that expectation but I'd be happy to be proven wrong at the world cup.
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

Do we know for certain that he's got £500k?
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

ABClub wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:03 pm At £500k he's way overpriced.

If Tigers are spending Toomua's salary and marquee spot on forward then they could just about match that but there's better players you can get for that money. Hughes goes missing for large spells too often.

Pieter-Steph du Doit, Lood de Jager, Pablo Matera, Bill Mata, Peceli Yato, etc. Those are the quality of forwards I hope the board are looking at for that marquee spot.
Leave him alone. :smt018
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Why what's a Mata with you? :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

His break and offload at the weekend was ridiculous. Cockers has said that he would sell one of his kid's kidneys to keep him at Edinburgh
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I said this 18 or so months ago but we should be going after Yato imo , I also said Amanaki Mafi but I think he’s no longer an option 😬
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni