Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Ellis Genge: An Inspiration

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:05 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:17 am I don't entirely disagree with BFG, I have often stated that I would like to see the A League finished and replaced by an under 23 League that mirrored first team fixtures, with an agreed number of over age players permitted. Unfortunately I believe that a young back employed on a part time basis by one club would be poached by another offering a full time wage even if it was under another Union. I don't think it would be legal to deny anyone over eighteen an adult wage if an employer was prepared to offer it.
Totally agree money talks. You only have to look at the movement of players between the 3 local teams in Nat 2 north to see that the youngsters follow the bucks
There has to be much more financial recompense for player development between clubs in my opinion otherwise the incentive to develop is just not as strong as it should be.
I've seen this with coaches not keen to replace older trusted players with better younger players simply because a relationship of trust does not exist.
The catch 22 is that the youngsters can't build trust without the chance when others are seen to move for a quick buck.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Ellis is a prime example of where blood, sweat and tears can get you, if you have that fire in your belly to take you forward and achieve the goal you have set yourself. A superb example to others, and a real "War Horse".
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Old Hob wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:38 am My grandson is at a private school. He is 9. His day starts at 08 25 and rarely finishes before16 30. Even the secondary pupils round here who go to state schools are home by 14 30/ 15 00, and after assembly, their school day does not start until 09 35.
Not at the school I still teach at. 0845 start 1515 finish then clubs and sports.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:38 pm
Old Hob wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:38 am My grandson is at a private school. He is 9. His day starts at 08 25 and rarely finishes before16 30. Even the secondary pupils round here who go to state schools are home by 14 30/ 15 00, and after assembly, their school day does not start until 09 35.
Not at the school I still teach at. 0845 start 1515 finish then clubs and sports.
That's the kind of view that state schooled lads are often up against in my opinion, home from school by 1430 and that's it! :smt013
Ignored are the countless times that they cycle or walk home from training soaking wet muddy and frozen in the dark because the showers can only be afforded on match days.
They are a different breed to the namby-pamby bunch with warm showers and soft towels, training suppers and Home James!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

My post was more a comment on staff attitudes and the lack of willingness to stretch pupils in state schools. And don't forget, I'm talking about primary age children primarily.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

You have to remember, competitive sport is not a priority for comprehensive schools. We are ruled by of stead criteria, and sport is looked at solely as part of the PE curriculum, which is essentially an intro to lots of different sports. Any teams are after school, so both staff and pupils have to do it voluntarily. Added to that, there is no infrastructure for rugby at all. Private and Grammar schools have regular fixtures set in stone.
I ran a rugby team at my first school. It never really got going due to lack of fixtures. I think I managed to get about two in the whole year. RFU help, zero.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

"RFU help, zero." Yep,that's about the size of it!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

What I wanted were some fixtures. The football teams had leagues and cups. I was ringing round local schools asking if they had a team. The rfu 'help' was to run 6 week coaching sessions and donate some balls. Useful, but did not address the main issue, which was 'Sir, when have we got a match'
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

BFG wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:46 pm I think all u23's should be part time johnthegriff.
We can't know their physical or indeed mental potential until all full grown, and it takes something away in not allowing young lads to grow up and gain life experience in my opinion.
It would make them all focus more on an alternative career, and save these young blokes getting such serious injuries in mixing with pro's so early.
When you look at Genge' injuries so far at just 23 years old, and players like Manu and Launchbury, then I think that forcing it at such a young age can not only be harmful to them personally but also their potential future level for both club and country.
+1 :smt023

We take a willing horse and flog it to death. If some one is talented we raise them up, praise them, overwork/overload them and then knock them down.
Sport is a short career. Abuse adds a mental stress along with the physical demands and stress. Only a few mature through sport into veteran status.
It shouldn't be about Culture ,creed or academic ability. So credit to EG. Reminds me of a young Guscott. (Barff)
Troubled, working class but highly respected for his ability. :smt054

I was lucky. My two teachers Maths and football Ron Jackson (Leicester City) Rugby - Rob Barker ( Tigers)
That in the semi pro/Amateur era when sports persons had to work for a living.
Both promoted me into sport. The first line of talent spotting. Could it happen today....NAAAAHHHH
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Old Hob wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:18 pm My post was more a comment on staff attitudes and the lack of willingness to stretch pupils in state schools. And don't forget, I'm talking about primary age children primarily.
Wow - 'lack of willingness'. Guess independent schooling obscures the fact that state schools, its teachers, its budgets and its pupils are stretched in ways (primarily by decisions taken by, you guessed it, independently schooled folk) not felt by those who are in a privileged enough provision to be able to pay for their education. But I'm sure those teachers and students really appreciate the insinuation that they're lazy and discarded, respectively!
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:54 pm
Old Hob wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:18 pm My post was more a comment on staff attitudes and the lack of willingness to stretch pupils in state schools. And don't forget, I'm talking about primary age children primarily.
Wow - 'lack of willingness'. Guess independent schooling obscures the fact that state schools, its teachers, its budgets and its pupils are stretched in ways (primarily by decisions taken by, you guessed it, independently schooled folk) not felt by those who are in a privileged enough provision to be able to pay for their education. But I'm sure those teachers and students really appreciate the insinuation that they're lazy and discarded, respectively!

Yeah, lack of willingness! My job, for which I'm paid, is to teach my subject. Any coaching I do is unpaid and in my own time. Which I was willing to do, but in the absence of any support from anyone, in or out of the school, it was a little soul destroying. So I coached at my club instead, again in my own time and unpaid, but with much more support.

Oh yes, the final straw was when a had a complaint from a parent because their son had stayed behind after school for rugby without their permission, for which I recieved a formal warning.