Captain

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Captain

Post by BigDan50 »

Who do you think should be captain next year, for me someone who has the respect of all the players and carries out the instructions of the coaches, but who?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Captain

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I suspect George Ford will be the captain for the majority of next season and possibly beyond. As long as OTY keeps playing in around the 1st XV, I expect he will remain "Club Captain". :smt001
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

Unless there's a change afoot, which no one can see coming, it must be George Ford. He's the only player in the squad around which a team can be built. And in my humble opinion, that's a good place to start. I think he's got his best to come as he matures.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Coleshillad wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:03 am Unless there's a change afoot, which no one can see coming, it must be George Ford. He's the only player in the squad around which a team can be built. And in my humble opinion, that's a good place to start. I think he's got his best to come as he matures.
Agreed.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Whoever we bring in as our marquee forward. GF doesn't build enough of a raport with referees for me.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

TTRITH wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:23 am Whoever we bring in as our marquee forward. GF doesn't build enough of a raport with referees for me.
Fair comment. GF's learning. His credibility with referees can't be bad, his attitude seems good. He doesn't strike me as a shrinking violet either. Like his game, he can learn and mature. Perhaps good coaching can play a big part.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

BigDan50 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:39 pm Who do you think should be captain next year, for me someone who has the respect of all the players and carries out the instructions of the coaches, but who?
So you believe Tom Youngs doesn't have the respect of all the players and doesn't carry out instructions of the coaches?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Coleshillad wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:03 am Unless there's a change afoot, which no one can see coming, it must be George Ford. He's the only player in the squad around which a team can be built. And in my humble opinion, that's a good place to start. I think he's got his best to come as he matures.
Wow, he could be the best fly half in the world then. He's already a top class fly half, so if there's even more to come from him, then we are in for even more of a treat than we already get from him!
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:41 am
Wow, he could be the best fly half in the world then. He's already a top class fly half, so if there's even more to come from him, then we are in for even more of a treat than we already get from him!
I will apologise now if my thoughts of a hint of sarcasm are misplaced. He is still relatively young, and there's no reason why maturity can't positively affect his game. As a professional sportsman he should be constantly striving to improve anyway, and it's that, which has no doubt got him to where his is today.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I remember a time when any of the fifteen players taking to the field could've genuinely been Captain!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:36 am
BigDan50 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:39 pm Who do you think should be captain next year, for me someone who has the respect of all the players and carries out the instructions of the coaches, but who?
So you believe Tom Youngs doesn't have the respect of all the players and doesn't carry out instructions of the coaches?
He doesn’t seem to communicate in a positive way with the referees.
Should he really our first choice hooker?

Those are probably more significant considerations for our on the field captain.

As for club captaincy I have no doubt that OTY remains the obvious choice but not for the 1st 15.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

I'd be tempted to give it to Cole, leads by example and on the couple of occasions he has been captain seems to have dealt respectfully which the referees. It will be probably be Ford.
Along with Ford he is probably one of the few players who you can guarantee will play in the First XV
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

The fact that we are struggling for candidates tells it's own story.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Spicer wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:15 pm I'd be tempted to give it to Cole, leads by example and on the couple of occasions he has been captain seems to have dealt respectfully which the referees. It will be probably be Ford.
Along with Ford he is probably one of the few players who you can guarantee will play in the First XV
Agreed Coley would make a good captain in the MJ mould, doesn’t say much but you’d follow him into the trenches. It’s interesting that Dan is not a fan of social media but he has given a number of interviews recently.
It probably will be GF as 10 is as good a place as any to skipper from.
On the subject of communicating with refs did anyone else hear Farrell being told by the ref at the weekend he didn’t like the way he was addressing him
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Why is that a surprise? :smt017 😂
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni