Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:35 pm Why is that a surprise? :smt017 😂
It’s because he from near Wigan
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Captain

Post by Scott1 »

Owen Farrell confuses me,he can be petulant and his captaincy can be questioned but I thought it was superb captaincy when he once questioned a Stephen Moore? try for Oz and got it chalked off.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

BigDan50 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:39 pm Who do you think should be captain next year, for me someone who has the respect of all the players and carries out the instructions of the coaches, but who?
For me, Guy Thompson is the one who has really impressed me since him joining, he certainly leads by example but I don't know what he leadership is like, another who springs to mind is Dave Denton (if he ever returns)
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Spicer wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:15 pm I'd be tempted to give it to Cole, leads by example and on the couple of occasions he has been captain seems to have dealt respectfully which the referees. It will be probably be Ford.
Along with Ford he is probably one of the few players who you can guarantee will play in the First XV
He certainly seems to have been more vocal on the pitch this season.

I'm not sure that the front row is the ideal place to captain a side from as much of your work is done with your head buried in a scrum which makes it harder to convince the ref you have seen something you need to bring to his attention. Yes Sean Fitzpatrick was an exception!

Back row is probably the optimum position to captain from. Scrum half too busy and the backs in general are often too far from the controversial action to be influence the ref. (A bit like a fielder appealing for LBW from square leg - to quote Steve Bucknor "What do you think you can see from there boy?")
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ourla wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:32 pm The fact that we are struggling for candidates tells it's own story.
Are we. After all, Ford has captained England too.

OTY has been a great servant to the club but I think all-round Ford may be a better long term bet. Better rapport with the man in the middle, arguably better tactically if we see him with a run long term and it appears a natural leader within the group.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

BFG wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:27 pm I remember a time when any of the fifteen players taking to the field could've genuinely been Captain!
Like!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

mol2 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:49 pm
Spicer wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:15 pm I'd be tempted to give it to Cole, leads by example and on the couple of occasions he has been captain seems to have dealt respectfully which the referees. It will be probably be Ford.
Along with Ford he is probably one of the few players who you can guarantee will play in the First XV
He certainly seems to have been more vocal on the pitch this season.

I'm not sure that the front row is the ideal place to captain a side from as much of your work is done with your head buried in a scrum which makes it harder to convince the ref you have seen something you need to bring to his attention. Yes Sean Fitzpatrick was an exception!

Back row is probably the optimum position to captain from. Scrum half too busy and the backs in general are often too far from the controversial action to be influence the ref. (A bit like a fielder appealing for LBW from square leg - to quote Steve Bucknor "What do you think you can see from there boy?")
Nuttin. Dat's why ahm axing you.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:29 pm
ourla wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:32 pm The fact that we are struggling for candidates tells it's own story.
Are we. After all, Ford has captained England too.

OTY has been a great servant to the club but I think all-round Ford may be a better long term bet. Better rapport with the man in the middle, arguably better tactically if we see him with a run long term and it appears a natural leader within the group.
So that is one candidate to take over from Tom Youngs?
nasher

Post by nasher »

Please not GF , he will be away with Eddie jones and co for too long. When he does return (if not injured)he will need to learn to play for tigers not England.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

nasher wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:28 pm Please not GF , he will be away with Eddie jones and co for too long. When he does return (if not injured)he will need to learn to play for tigers not England.
If he's got the respect of his peers and is the best man for the job, that's fine by me. Imagine if we'd said that to Johnno?
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

nasher wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:28 pm Please not GF , he will be away with Eddie jones and co for too long. When he does return (if not injured)he will need to learn to play for tigers not England.
I've said in an earlier post, GF, like him or not, is a class act. He's in a position, as outside half, to control the game. Either with the guidance of the head coach, or by what's happening in front of him. He's young enough, and good enough, to build around. That's got to harder for someone who should spend most of the game with their head down and their :censored: in the air. While he's away with EJ, he should be learning, and bringing experience back to the club. Should he be considered as captain, and he's got a few years left in him yet, perhaps more consideration should be given to who could be vice captain, take over while he's away. Step into the boots one day. Stability can be good.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

It will be G.F. again although I would rather have a back five as leader, such as D.D.