New Coach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: New Coach?

Post by Scott1 »

The decision becomes even worse if the stories about turning down Ackerman,Van Graan etc end up being true!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I’m not sure if van Graan was on the list, I think Ackermann was. Pretty sure he was never interviewed though. Whatever the case, the decision to bring in MOC was a rash decision and made too quickly at the behest of senior players who just wanted asssurance of being selected, and O’Connor’s recent track record was brushed under the carpet in favour of the stats from his 1st spell.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Why o why is this rearing it’s head again.
Yes mistakes have been made previously but Geordan needs till the end of next season before he is judged. If that means European challenge cup for a season then so be it. I’m sure both Saracens and Exeter have played in that comp and they don’t change their coaches like last nights boxers and seem to be doing ok.
Give a whole season with his squad and his style and then judge him otherwise get over to the king power
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

100% agree with Mark 62.. Geordan Murphy I believe is the right man for the job and deserves the time needed to get the team playing his way and players necessary to implement his systems. On Friday with about 19 players unavailable due to international call up and injury we put out a largely inexperienced team against a squad lacking very few from their regular first team, We performed well at first and were in the game up to the point of the red card. We lost heavily and were under the cosh at the end but the lads were still trying, there was no surrender.
Many quote the settled coaching teams at Saracens and Bath as reasons for their success, strangely successful coaches keep their jobs but neither coaching team was an overnight success, time and patience from their employers and the fans coupled with a lot of hard work got them where they are, the same is needed at Leicester. Undoubtedly there have been mistakes made in the past but the past cannot be changed, we must just get on with the future whatever te rest of the season has in store for us.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I find that concerning, given that you have backed every mistake all the way!
Let's hope that you are right this time!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The current situation stems from promoting RC above his level (now I think he would be the correct person to lead the coaching team, but only because of his intervening experience), some of the knee jerk/football club style decisions since have been utterly awful & have been used to look as if the BOD know what they are doing but evidently not& the bending over for the players has been embarrassing.
GM deserves a full preseason (although with RWC he doesn't get that) & should be judged on next season & the performance as much as the end result & the type & quality of players recruited. I would personally like a very experienced DOR to come in for at least 12 months to assist & guide GM.
We appear to be a fair way up a certain creek right no, but at present we are just about holding onto the paddle, but another daft move from the BOD & the paddle will surely slip away.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

As I’m not, nor even have been, a professional rugby coach, I have no good basis to say whether coaches should stay or go. But I don’t see much reason for optimism at the moment.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Gotta say ring fencing looks a pretty attractive proposition at the moment. With no risk of relegation the BoD can make as many bloopers as they like and not need to spend more than we can afford.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

Is anyone else bored with this debate again??? :smt015

But here's my twopenneth!

I'm assuming Geordie and his coaching team will have their shopping list and that negotiations on player acquisitions are ongoing or in the majority of cases completed. Given the number of players who look to be leaving there are surely more official announcements on new arrivals to come. There will almost certainly be more changes next season as existing contracts expire.

- So currently Geordie is working predominantly with a group of players selected by a previous coach.
- I think the majority are agreed that the current playing squad is not strong enough.
- Injuries to some key players and the number of injuries have exposed the lack of depth in the squad.
- There is no guarantee that the changes in the squad for next season will work but they might.
- If there isn't a significant improvement by Christmas then critiscm of the coach will have more validity.

There seems to be a significant number of supporters who are not prepared to consider any of the above points and want coaching changes now. As most of the recruitment for next season is probably done this would mean a new coach inheriting a squad that wasn't his own. Therefore another season before they could select their own squad.

So what does change now get us? A better finishing position this season, maybe. An improved squad from changes to recruitment for next season, unlikely. An extended 'transition' period to allow a new coach to implement his approach, almost certainly. A guarantee of success, no.

I've no idea if Geordie will turn out to be a top head coach or not, there's only one way to find out and that's to give him more time. For me how long that is will depend on results, not this season but next.

Isn't sacking Geordie now going from frying pan to fire? In this thread there are calls for Ackerman who is coming to the end of his second year at Gloucester....remind me what he's won? The return of Cockers, a legend but it's in the past....he's doing ok with half the Scottish national team but yet to win anything. Bath have been quoted....haven't been close to winning anything for years.

I'm trying to remove personalities and sentiment from the argument and when I do I'm struggling to see any benefit in changing the coach now.
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:38 pm Absolutely spot on! And we had the chance too when Cockers then Mauger went. It should have been a fresh pair of eyes coming in not the constant inbreeding.
+1 :smt023. However that is not the 'Tiger's Way' apparently?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I do not believe Geordan is up to the job, as I have previously stated, but I do believe he should be given more time.
Give him the first six games next season, and if the situation remains the same as it is now, then remove him.

One thing is certain, and that is there is no quick fix for our problems. We need to restructure throughout the club.
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:08 pm Why o why is this rearing it’s head again.
Yes mistakes have been made previously but Geordan needs till the end of next season before he is judged. If that means European challenge cup for a season then so be it. I’m sure both Saracens and Exeter have played in that comp and they don’t change their coaches like last nights boxers and seem to be doing ok.
Give a whole season with his squad and his style and then judge him otherwise get over to the king power
Some refreshing common sense at last on here!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:08 pm Why o why is this rearing it’s head again.
:smt023 :smt023 :smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

I see little to be gained in changing head coach yet again. In an ideal world the head coach would have a squad of his choosing playing in a manner and style of his preference. Geordie doesn't have that luxury and we have been decimated by injuries and international absences but it could also be argued that the very best coaches adapt to make the very best use of the available resources.
I'm not cynical just experienced
pipkoi

Post by pipkoi »

Well said
Pip