Team News v Scarlets

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Team News v Scarlets

Post by Hot_Charlie »

WiggoTiger wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:47 pm Why has toomua stopped kicking duties?? :smt017
Probably because J Ford is normally the best kicker at the club. For all his limitations, it’s his dead ball kicking (out of hand or the tee) that is his strong point.

As for the rest of the match, some plus points: Evans was our best by a mile. Heyes did well despite the non-refereeing of the scrum. Olowofela draws a lots of defenders for a smaller player, such is his threat to the line.

Negatives: need a solution at 13. It’s just not working for Owen. Mapapalangi not an answer at 8. And again, more dull, stupid, play (Williams x2, not retreating from the up and under from Worth etc). Inconsistent officiating - again.
GeoffNeil

Post by GeoffNeil »

What is most hard to take is that now, some say that performance is acceptable because there was nothing to play for. For me those type of performance are becoming increasingly acceptable by the club, as they know we have no chance at winning anything let alone succeed in Europe. A measure of how far this club has fallen, and continues to fall!!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Traveller wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:59 pm

The fact that some of the chat on here is about it being a game that doesn't matter, says it all. This is Leicester Tigers playing in the Premier European tournament.
The match did not matter as neither side could qualify for the knock out stages. It gave am opportunity to rest players and give others a chance.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

A number of players are just not up to ever wearing the Tigers shirt
Again or ever...
In order.. JFord Owen Worth Wells Kitchener Williams Fitzgerald Mapalangi
.Also I personally think White has bog all chance of getting up to Premiership standard as he is far far too slow, and no pace either..
Another massive embarrassment to our name..
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

norfolkexpat wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:15 pm A number of players are just not up to ever wearing the Tigers shirt
Again or ever...
In order.. JFord Owen Worth Wells Kitchener Williams Fitzgerald Mapalangi
.Also I personally think White has bog all chance of getting up to Premiership standard as he is far far too slow, and no pace either..
Another massive embarrassment to our name..
Too slow and no pace! Wow that's harsh.
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

ellis9 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:37 pm
drc_007 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:25 pm
ellis9 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:21 pm It's like a comedy show and I don't mean the game. I'm talking about some of the comments on here about a meaningless game. :smt044
I don't regard it as meaningless, I'd expect professionals to make more effort. In addition I suspect a few of those players have blown their chance of a Tigers contract next season.
Actually, it was meaningful. Murphy can now see where these players need to improve for our Premiership matches during the Six Nations.

Much prefer to perform like that today and then correct things and then perform in the Premiership matches during the Six Nations period.
There is no such thing as a meaningless game, or if there is the players should retire immediately. No sportsman/ woman at ANY level should feel that way. They should despise the very thought of losing or quit. It is attitude which makes decent players into good players and good players into great ones.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

tigerssteve wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:41 pm
ellis9 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:37 pm
drc_007 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:25 pm

I don't regard it as meaningless, I'd expect professionals to make more effort. In addition I suspect a few of those players have blown their chance of a Tigers contract next season.
Actually, it was meaningful. Murphy can now see where these players need to improve for our Premiership matches during the Six Nations.

Much prefer to perform like that today and then correct things and then perform in the Premiership matches during the Six Nations period.
There is no such thing as a meaningless game, or if there is the players should retire immediately. No sportsman/ woman at ANY level should feel that way. They should despise the very thought of losing or quit. It is attitude which makes decent players into good players and good players into great ones.
No one in here is a professional sportsperson. (I presume).
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

There’s no such thing as a friendly game of rugby and no such thing as a meaningless game between an English side and a Welsh one. If anyone thinks the result doesn’t matter, then I suggest wearing an England shirt in Cardiff on 23rd February.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Today was one of those games that made me wish player contracts were more widely reported, so we could see who can be easily dispensed with and who we're stuck with for next season. Your could make a whole 15 out of our dead weight at the moment.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

I’m sure I’ll get some flack for this, but I’m just not impressed with George Worth. I’m quite sure he really tries and his heart is in it, but will he make the grade? Can’t see it myself. Love to be proved wrong.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Worth certainly had a poor game yesterday, but difficult to judge a young lad when seasoned pros around him seem to have given up.

He has had a couple of solid games so still in credit in my book but there should be none better than Murphy to mentor him.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

loretta wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:43 pm I’m sure I’ll get some flack for this, but I’m just not impressed with George Worth. I’m quite sure he really tries and his heart is in it, but will he make the grade? Can’t see it myself. Love to be proved wrong.
Miss judges a couple of kicks and gets slated by one eyed incompetent commentary team and all of a sudden he's not good enough? Try saver on Owens just before half time, his tactical kicking game was good, contested in the air well, made his tackles and generally worked hard. Plenty for him to work on but he's the kind of solid squad player we need.

We lost that game up front. We didn't resource the breakdown in attack and ended up with slow ball or conceding turnovers. The lineout and defence were actually much improved but you can't defend for 80 minutes. You need to put the opposition under pressure. Need to go through the phases.

All half backs on show last night kicked poorly and didn't control the game. That's also a concern.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:12 pm
Traveller wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:59 pm

The fact that some of the chat on here is about it being a game that doesn't matter, says it all. This is Leicester Tigers playing in the Premier European tournament.
The match did not matter as neither side could qualify for the knock out stages. It gave am opportunity to rest players and give others a chance.
I sure hope that logic doesn’t apply next week! It’s going to be seriously painful if it does and I can just imagine the atmosphere, more Ravenhill than Welford road. Usually, I believe in turning up and taking your lumps. However, if the club decide that conceding defeat on the team sheet at home is okay, who could blame spectators for getting the message and staying home.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:12 am
loretta wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:43 pm I’m sure I’ll get some flack for this, but I’m just not impressed with George Worth. I’m quite sure he really tries and his heart is in it, but will he make the grade? Can’t see it myself. Love to be proved wrong.
Miss judges a couple of kicks and gets slated by one eyed incompetent commentary team and all of a sudden he's not good enough? Try saver on Owens just before half time, his tactical kicking game was good, contested in the air well, made his tackles and generally worked hard. Plenty for him to work on but he's the kind of solid squad player we need.
Yes, he’s solid and works hard. Yes, he makes his tackles and all round competent. But, so far, that’s all I’ve seen . Not enough pace, flair or creativity to really make the grade. And, no, that’s not a conclusion I have reached “ all of a sudden “.
Last edited by loretta on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:43 pm No doubt Joe Ford will get the blame but the game was over before he arrived.
12-0 down at half time. It wasn't over when Joe Ford came on. It was probably over because he came on.