Coaches

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Coaches

Post by RagingBull »

Furlong ain't the anti meathead you know? He's always been a unit.

Also Irish rugby is just as bad at school level as English rugby, Irish rugby is massively about what schools you went too.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

God you're bitter about the English game BFG :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:38 pm The question is who would win a match out of the better players with worse coaches or the slightly worse players with top coaches? Easy and I know where my tenner would be going!
But who would win out of a team of 15 world class players with 8 coaches and a team of world class players with one coach. I would put my tenner on the first lot!

I agree about there being less naturally skilled players these days, but I don't agree that that is the reason why there has been an increase in the number of coaches. It's because there is a lot more money in the game and if you can afford a coach for a specific area then you employ one.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

And that there's a need for them if you want to get to the top,it really is that simple! Here's a very simple example,swap our coaching team with Exeters and think what would happen! Or swap with McCall and Sanderson,or Cullen and Lancaster etc
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:11 pm Furlong ain't the anti meathead you know? He's always been a unit.

Also Irish rugby is just as bad at school level as English rugby, Irish rugby is massively about what schools you went too.
He has not always been a unit, that is completely made up, he is only 1.85cm now!
I agree about the Irish schools, they at least favour rugby intelligence though.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

In fact heres a brilliant example! Crusaders in Super Rugby with Blackadder,won nothing in 8 years with some of the best players on the planet there,Robertson comes in and they win back to back titles without a squad overhaul.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Was still a heavy lad though.
Sinckler only 1.79m yet somehow manged to get through the RFU system despite being even smaller than the "tiny" Furlong.

So stop acting like Furlong would never have made it in England.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:24 pm Was still a heavy lad though.
Sinckler only 1.79m yet somehow manged to get through the RFU system despite being even smaller than the "tiny" Furlong.

So stop acting like Furlong would never have made it in England.
You are guessing about Furlong in my opinion, a full grown unit at 1.85cm! :smt005
Where did Sinckler school?
Sinckler isn't really a problem to me though, he is one of the rare front rows that has skills and would've been a fine prop in my day in my opinion, suffers a bit at scrum time nowadays with these massively heavy packs around and is a prime example of the battle against size and also the laws on both hookers hooking in my opinion, I could imagine a front row of Genge, Thacker and Sinckler would be absolutely brilliant to watch at international level if only the game would allow it to flourish, we have to settle for players like Hartley to even up the weight instead!

Stop acting! :smt017
It's simply an personal opinion, something that I can't prove and you can't disprove!
Seeing the likes of Clark in the game though is strong evidence in my opinion, where did he school!
Last edited by BFG on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If I might chime in. I knows theres players that get lost,I've been involved with junior rugby coaching and we had inner city players that the RFU didn't give a fig about,it's still very much an elitist sport in that sense. But at the top level I don't think it's as bad as you're making out BFG and I sense a touch of bitterness,maybe a family member overlooked? I'm very curious but please tell me to back off if I'm barking up the wrong tree or being too nosey!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I tend to agree a little bit with BFG. I spent time in the Tigers academy and when I was let go, the report I had was that all of my skills were excellent and right up there but I was released as I wasn't big enough.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:40 pm If I might chime in. I knows theres players that get lost,I've been involved with junior rugby coaching and we had inner city players that the RFU didn't give a fig about,it's still very much an elitist sport in that sense. But at the top level I don't think it's as bad as you're making out BFG and I sense a touch of bitterness,maybe a family member overlooked? I'm very curious but please tell me to back off if I'm barking up the wrong tree or being too nosey!
That's a normal type of response on here isn't it, a personal type of response that honestly you should be slightly ashamed of in my opinion, but yes you are barking up the wrong tree!
I wouldn't want my kids or any relatives playing this game at Pro level with the serious injuries suffered, I'd honestly hate it!
I like rugby but dislike rubbish rugby, and am becoming slowly disenchanted with it to be honest!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I didn't mean to be personal,I apologize but that wasn't my aim at all. No offence meant.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:51 pm I didn't mean to be personal,I apologize but that wasn't my aim at all. No offence meant.
None taken! :smt023
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

You can't say that Furlong was a decent size then shrug of Sinckler who is smaller because of his school. Furlong still went to a private school, and you where saying if Furlong was in England he wouldn't have been picked because of his size despite Sinckler proving otherwise.

I think we can all agree that England rugby isn't as efficient as it should be at academy levels.

BUT it has improved a lot recently IMO.
Clark is a good example of everything that was wrong with England rugby.
But that was over 10 years ago?
Things have improved a lot in that time.

Even at Tigers the difference between the last 3 or so season and before that is massive. A long way to go still but it's heading in the right direction.

Irish rugby benefit a lot from having GAA as the skillset from that transfer really well into Rugby, whereas Football doesn't in this country.

Some positions do suit size espically in the forwards.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:05 pm You can't say that Furlong was a decent size then shrug of Sinckler who is smaller because of his school. Furlong still went to a private school, and you where saying if Furlong was in England he wouldn't have been picked because of his size despite Sinckler proving otherwise.

I think we can all agree that England rugby isn't as efficient as it should be at academy levels.

BUT it has improved a lot recently IMO.
Clark is a good example of everything that was wrong with England rugby.
But that was over 10 years ago?
Things have improved a lot in that time.

Even at Tigers the difference between the last 3 or so season and before that is massive. A long way to go still but it's heading in the right direction.

Irish rugby benefit a lot from having GAA as the skillset from that transfer really well into Rugby, whereas Football doesn't in this country.

Some positions do suit size espically in the forwards.
To be honest I think Sinckler is a more skilled player around the park than Furlong, though not as good a scrummager.
Both players I like although I can't say that I rate Sinckler at all when he decides to have a tantrum.
Under the old laws of both hookers hooking I'd fancy Sinckler to be the better all round player.
These are rare cases though at the very peak, we should enjoy more skilled players like them on show in general in my opinion.
I think that I would certainly enjoy it more anyway.
Focus on size IMO relates to my original response to the need for mass coaching!