Coaches

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Coaches

Post by JP14 »

Whilst private school bias still lingers is not as bad as it used to be but for me the real problem in the Tigers DPP and Academy is the emphasis on physique over skillset, but from what I hear selectors did this very reluctantly, acting on instructions from the top.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

My view is that there is in fact a systematic process of over coaching players to the point that it eliminates player's natural skills and ability. If, for example Les Cusworth was playing today, his magical skills would be toned down by today's coaching system.

In a nutshell, yes, I believe we do have too many coaches in today's game, but it's not going to change.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:01 pm
RagingBull wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:05 pm You can't say that Furlong was a decent size then shrug of Sinckler who is smaller because of his school. Furlong still went to a private school, and you where saying if Furlong was in England he wouldn't have been picked because of his size despite Sinckler proving otherwise.

I think we can all agree that England rugby isn't as efficient as it should be at academy levels.

BUT it has improved a lot recently IMO.
Clark is a good example of everything that was wrong with England rugby.
But that was over 10 years ago?
Things have improved a lot in that time.

Even at Tigers the difference between the last 3 or so season and before that is massive. A long way to go still but it's heading in the right direction.

Irish rugby benefit a lot from having GAA as the skillset from that transfer really well into Rugby, whereas Football doesn't in this country.

Some positions do suit size espically in the forwards.
To be honest I think Sinckler is a more skilled player around the park than Furlong, though not as good a scrummager.
Both players I like although I can't say that I rate Sinckler at all when he decides to have a tantrum.
Under the old laws of both hookers hooking I'd fancy Sinckler to be the better all round player.
These are rare cases though at the very peak, we should enjoy more skilled players like them on show in general in my opinion.
I think that I would certainly enjoy it more anyway.
Focus on size IMO relates to my original response to the need for mass coaching!
Furlong is one of the best tightheads in the world for me. Sinckler I'm not sure is the best tighthead in England. To be fair Sinckler does play better for England than Quins where his scrummaging seems to be easily exposed. Furlong is a very good all round player, not any obvious weaknesses in his game.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes Furlong is miles ahead of Sinckler in every aspect,so much so that Ireland use him very regularly as first receiver. And not just because he can crash it up.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:53 pm Whilst private school bias still lingers is not as bad as it used to be but for me the real problem in the Tigers DPP and Academy is the emphasis on physique over skillset, but from what I hear selectors did this very reluctantly, acting on instructions from the top.
It's a catch 22 situation for clubs that is due to farcical law changes that favour bigger less skilled players thus increasing the need for coaching.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Also cheaper.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:12 pm God you're bitter about the English game BFG :smt005
He is not the only one. Discussions on here in the past with previous posters who coach have come to the same conclusion. I have witnessed it first hand.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:53 pm Whilst private school bias still lingers is not as bad as it used to be but for me the real problem in the Tigers DPP and Academy is the emphasis on physique over skillset, but from what I hear selectors did this very reluctantly, acting on instructions from the top.
Yet in the rugby school I used to teach in the complaint was that public schools were recruiting monsters, and duty of care meant not letting smaller skilful players get injured trying to stop them. That was 5 years ago.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.