Severity of injuries and high tackles (official figures)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Severity of injuries and high tackles (official figures)

Post by JP14 »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:04 am
JP14 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:56 am
ellis9 wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:31 am

Austin Healey got it right when he said it's up to players to take responsibility for getting their tackling technique correct. If players tackled like they're taught as children, concussion would be less common.
This links back to players being selected by size over skill, and also perhaps mediocre investment in coaching in mini rugby
Mini rugby coaches have always been volunteer coaches so investment in them isn't an issue.
Ellis I know that I was referring to the lack of attention and impetus from the RFU to try to get people to volunteer and to coach correctly. At the moment there’s this Core Values thing and that’s about it!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Severity of injuries and high tackles (official figures)

Post by jgriffin »

Had a feeling this might happen when several of us posted about attackers dropping into tackles to gain penalties, at the time it was suggested that if you bent to 90 degrees at the waist you were almost untacklable except head on or a chop, both with significant concussion risk. I'm with BFG on offside lines, increases time to develop attack, increases uncertainty in defence, etc. Very much for high tackle rule, BUT still think there are significant risks with current tackle/ruck interpretations - hand contact first in all cases? Also agree with the accumulation of micro-injuries theory. The reality is that what looks better is mostly what used to be. Familiar?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.