Dan Cole

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

newport tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Dan Cole

Post by newport tiger »

I thought Dan was outstanding yesterday, in a game that had very few scrums you might expect a tighthead to be anonymous he was anything but. Having been dropped from the England team instead of sulking and announcing his international retirement as many have done in the past, he seems to have taken a lot of the criticism onboard and come back a stronger player. He is without doubt the best scrummaging tighthead England have and in his current form i don't see how Eddie can leave him out of the six nations and therefore guarantee his place on the plane to Japan.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Dan Cole

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I don't think any of us would expect anything less of Dan. He's been written off by many, both in and outside of the club, before and has always come back a stronger and better player. The summer off will have done him the world of good too.

Do we see a Castro / Cole mentorship going on with Cole / Heyes? I do expect one big difference, however, when the apprentice surpasses the master. Coley is Tigers through and through and I'd be massively surprised if Coley did a Castro sulk when that time does arrive.
Last edited by longlivethecrumbie on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Cole definitely seems to have upped his game. Carrying is still not the strongest part, he’s not going to give you what Genge/Mulipola do/did for us, but he’s definitely become cleaner and more efficient around the breakdown. Tackle count seems to have gone up too. Looks to be playing with less pressure and enjoying himself.
On the topic of front row, I was definitely impressed with Heyes’s cameo, but also Jake Kerr, throwing was on the money, and busy round the park.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

The fountains of the win did seem to be the Tigers old guard of Cole, Kitchener and Williams who really stepped up for this game. All were massive in defence.

Shout out to Kerr and Heyes too, great young prospects who look already in their element at premiership level.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Cole has been exceptional all season. Slight blip against Racing at home but even then he dominated in the scrum.

Yesterday he was fantastic in the loose and that try saving tackle, any of the backs would have been pleased with that.

Full pre season has done him the world of good. Hopefully Heyes can keep finishing the games strong so Dan doesn't have to play full 80s and can come off after an hour. Will help keep him fresh. Heyes looks like the successor in waiting but he's going to have to develop into one hell of a prop to take that shirt from Dan. Nice to see a 19 year old tighthead go through his experienced opposite number at scrum time.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Heyes reminds me of Brookes, and I wish he didn't!
Few scrums yesterday and Cole had much more to give, just goes to show how much he gives at scrum time.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:25 am Heyes reminds me of Brookes, and I wish he didn't!
Few scrums yesterday and Cole had much more to give, just goes to show how much he gives at scrum time.
In build maybe. In terms of one involvement then disappearing for five minutes not so much. Heyes work rate has impressed me looks to get involved often and doesn't go hiding behind the ruck.

Agree it certainly shows how much effort Cole puts into winning all those scrum penalties to out us in the front foot. If we can cut out the handling errors then we might see more of him in the loose.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I thought BY had a good game too,was snappy and looked with it. He's looked a bit lethargic lately
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Cole developed well as there was no Tim pressure to do so with those on front of him, Heyes where possible needs the same treatment, in some ways he could do with time away on loan at a Championship club to play longer.
Balmain didn't get that introduction due to injuries & that has affected his development.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I'd leave Heyes where he is ,hes holding his own already
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Big Dan has always given 100%, but his game performance yesterday was outstanding. :smt023
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Perhaps EJ said, hey Dan I'm going to give you the winter off to keep you fresh for the WC, go and work on a bit of this and that, but you are coming to Japan as my 1st choice, i'm just seeing what these others can do for 2/3rd choices?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Heyes is fine right here.
Balmain development wasn't a problem till Saracens away (Which I still put a sizeable blame on Thacker) and we got destroyed in the scrum, Cockers just refused to play him more after that.

Don't really see the comparison between Brookes and Heyes either other than size.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Hands off Eddie Jones as we need Cole more than England - especially in the 6 Nations period when apart from Sarries we will be up against virtually unaffected squads.
Cole was excellent again yesterday showing a Genge he still has a lot to learn about what it means to be a GREAT TIGER. Cole, Williams and Manu put in some awesome tackles.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:24 pm I'd leave Heyes where he is ,hes holding his own already
+1 :smt023. I hope he does very well in the U20 6Ns?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat