Back to Europe

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Back to Europe

Post by kpj tiger »

I suspect we may be seeing a weakened side fielded against Scarlets as Jonny May hinted he's going on holiday after the game today, what side would people like to see?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Back to Europe

Post by Scott1 »

As I said earlier,I'd like to see some combinations tried ready for when we lose our 6N players

Bateman
Kerr
Heyes
Williams
Wells
Fitzy
Evans
Kala
White
Toomua
Olowefella
Eastmond
Tuilagi
Sarto/Varndell
Worth

Genge,TPN,Cole,Kitchener,Reffell,Youngs,Ford,Holmes
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

It's a tough one, play the best players and hope they build confidence as a unit, or rest/don't risk injuring them as we are realistically out of Europe. Considering we will lose a few players to the six nations anyway I probably lean towards the later.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

The forwards I'd keep largely the same as we are only likely to lose Genge to the 6 Nations. I'd build some stability there.

In the backs it's an ideal game to build some new partnerships and get some minutes into the back three players that we will need to cover the definite loss of May along with the possible absence of Jonah and Manu.

1.Genge 2.Kerr 3.Cole 4.Wells 5.Kitchener 6.Williams 7.Evans 8.Kalamafoni
9.White 10.Toomua 11.Olowofela 12.Eastmond 13.Tuilagi 14.Sarto 15.Worth

16.TPN 17.Bateman 18.Heyes 19.Fitzgerald 20.O'Connor 21.Youngs 22.G Ford 23.Holmes

Something like that would cover the bases well.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:23 pm As I said earlier,I'd like to see some combinations tried ready for when we lose our 6N players

Bateman
Kerr
Heyes
Williams
Wells
Fitzy
Evans
Kala
White
Toomua
Olowefella
Eastmond
Tuilagi
Sarto/Varndell
Worth

Genge,TPN,Cole,Kitchener,Reffell,Youngs,Ford,Holmes
I don't think that's far off. Possibly a time to rest Youngs, G Ford and May (maybe Tuilagi too) and bring Shazam back into the squad. A chance to bring in Aspland-Robinson on to the bench with Holmes and Olowofela on the wings (as I'm not sure if we have the permitted number of changes left in the ERCC squad to add Varndell or Sarto). Argument to rest Cole as well and put Feao/Cortes/Gigena on the bench. Depending on TPN we may need MacMillan on the bench too.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Good shout about the squads,forgot about that!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

1 Genge
2 Kerr
3 Heyes
4 Williams
5 Wells
6 Evans
7 O’Connor
8 Kalamafoni
9 White
10 Toomua
11 Olowofela
12 Eastmond
13 Worth
14 Holmes
15 Apsland-Robinson
16 TPN/McMillan
17 Bateman
18 Fe’ao
19 Mapapalangi
20 Reffell
21 Shazam
22 J. Ford
23 Owen
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

My biggest worry currently is Scotland have a bit of a injury problem at hooker, and with Kerr playing well in televised games I wouldn't be surprised if he gets called up.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Time to be experimental methinks. All of the above look ok.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tom Youngs Water boy yesterday, TPN line throws very poor and also injured, so Tom could be back!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:29 pm My biggest worry currently is Scotland have a bit of a injury problem at hooker, and with Kerr playing well in televised games I wouldn't be surprised if he gets called up.
The injury crisis is mainly for Glasgow rather than Scotland. Fraser Brown and George Turner both getting injured has left them very thin. Both are due back midway through the 6 Nations though.

McInally is fit currently and I wouldn't be surprised if Toonie kept him as skipper. Ford is also fit and has been around the squads as a reserve so will be next in line as cover.

After that Kerr could have an outside shot at being in the training squads but with Brown and Turner due back during the tournament Townsend will be more likely to call-up from within the two pro teams. Cameron Fenton and Grant Stewart are well considered and selecting players from the Scottish Rugby Academy (formerly Elite Development Programme) will please the Scottish Premiership clubs during a tumultuous time for Scottish Rugby with the 'Super 6' coming into effect next season.

If McInally or Ford get injured things could get interesting, as Toonie will then be looking for a hooker to step into the 23 rather than the training squads.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Can we ensure Kerr has a decent contract extension before any Scotland squad is announced!
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

LE18 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:34 pm Tom Youngs Water boy yesterday, TPN line throws very poor and also injured, so Tom could be back!
Tom Youngs was de-registered and is currently not in the squad and given we have several hookers available then Tom is better still on the water bottles encouraging & recuperating.
Current squad - https://www.epcrugby.com/club/leicester-tigers/#players
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:41 am I don't think that's far off. Possibly a time to rest Youngs, G Ford and May (maybe Tuilagi too) and bring Shazam back into the squad. A chance to bring in Aspland-Robinson on to the bench with Holmes and Olowofela on the wings (as I'm not sure if we have the permitted number of changes left in the ERCC squad to add Varndell or Sarto). Argument to rest Cole as well and put Feao/Cortes/Gigena on the bench. Depending on TPN we may need MacMillan on the bench too.
Sam H still a couple of weeks away from playing. Might be ok for Ulster.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scarlets could have an interesting line up.
To win is not as important as playing with style!