Pub Advice for Visiting Fans (Leicester v Ulster Jan 19th)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

neill_m

Pub Advice for Visiting Fans (Leicester v Ulster Jan 19th)

Post by neill_m »

Hello,

I will be travelling to Leicester for the game on the 19th. I have been a couple of times before and am just looking to refresh my pub knowledge. Where is the best place to watch the other Heineken Cup Games? Last time it was the Slug and Lettuce from memory. What are other pubs would you recommend for the Friday night and pre-match on the Saturday?

Many Thanks

Neill
ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Pub Advice for Visiting Fans (Leicester v Ulster Jan 19th)

Post by ourla »

Good real ale pubs:

Kings Head
Blue Boar
Ale Wagon
Parcel Yard
Criterion
Salmon
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The train into Birmingham :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

This could be the one day it all comes together for Tigers-------a bit like Castres last year-----and Ulster go home 50 points in the red...

After that, doom and gloom as we hit the 6 Nations with a team that wouldnt beat Bedford or Jersey...
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

neill_m wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:03 am Hello,

I will be travelling to Leicester for the game on the 19th. I have been a couple of times before and am just looking to refresh my pub knowledge. Where is the best place to watch the other Heineken Cup Games? Last time it was the Slug and Lettuce from memory. What are other pubs would you recommend for the Friday night and pre-match on the Saturday?

Many Thanks

Neill
Welcome to Leicester. I am not sure where the best location is for televising the other games, but if you want a decent pint (= real ale) for Friday then try Head of Steam on Market St. (part of a chain, has website, vast beer selection), Marquis on London Rd (also does food, though various good curry options on London Rd too). Lansdowne on London Rd may suit more depending on what kind of pub/beer/age group you’re after, or the Parcel Yard near the train station. If you want a decent pint pre-game then possibly Broood on King Street/New Walk, or indeed the Kings Head on King Street but anything in this area is likely busy pre-game, and probably busy Friday night too.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

The Two Tailed Lion do some excellent beer, on Millstone Lane just down from the Blue Boar which do good real ale.

The ground normally has screens on with rugby coverage. The Slug and Lettuce is no more but I think the replacement pub does have screens with sport and a better selection of beer so could be a win.

For food Kayal just down from the station is very good.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:06 am
I would second that. But likely v busy on a Friday.

The link and map available at https://leicester.camra.org.uk/pubs/pub-guides/ might help get around! The map lists locations with sport TV and Tigers stadium is on it too...which might be useful after a couple of jars.
Last edited by markharbtiger on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:06 am The Two Tailed Lion do some excellent beer, on Millstone Lane just down from the Blue Boar which do good real ale.

The ground normally has screens on with rugby coverage. The Slug and Lettuce is no more but I think the replacement pub does have screens with sport and a better selection of beer so could be a win.

Agree the suggestion of Kayal if you are looking for food; for an alternative the same people have opened Herb across the road. This is all vegetarian Kerala food. I am not a vegetarian but I have to say the things they can do with a vegetable and herbs is amazing.
As Good As It Gets
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Interestingly, Leicester’s local craft brewery does some kind of event on the 3rd Friday of every month - see https://www.frameworkbrewery.com, which by my reckoning would be the 18th. So this might be another option. Having noticed this I might go myself!
neill_m

Post by neill_m »

Many Thanks for all the information. Duffys at the minute seems to be the place to watch the other games. Will no doubt end up in a few of your suggestions. Is the post-game music underneath the now H&B stand still as good as ever?