Defence Coach

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Defence Coach

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Obviously I’m sure if he smashes it we’ll be seeing him next season. I’ve no doubt he’ll be a big hit!
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Welcome aboard then Mr Blake, well done acing what must have been a very awkward job interview. Try to steer clear of Ladbrokes this time eh.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Geordan Murphy on appointment: "We've had some new coaches join us in the week. Phil Blake has been here before and we knew him. He's come in on a short term contract to help our defence and coaching across the board".

Who are the other coaches then!
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Coops wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:05 pm Geordan Murphy on appointment: "We've had some new coaches join us in the week. Phil Blake has been here before and we knew him. He's come in on a short term contract to help our defence and coaching across the board".

Strength and Conditioning perhaps? Maybe an attack coach?

I am ever-so worried about a "short-term" contract. We can expect him to put systems in place and then set him off on his way. That doesn't work.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Coops wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:05 pm Geordan Murphy on appointment: "We've had some new coaches join us in the week. Phil Blake has been here before and we knew him. He's come in on a short term contract to help our defence and coaching across the board".

They asked him that in the radio interview and he corrected himself to "coach, I'm the other one".

Interesting he said Blake would also be helping with the restarts and sprinting. We certainly need to improve our exits from restarts but I'm unsure what sprinting he's going to help with. Hopefully line speed in defence.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

ourla wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:56 pm
strawclearer wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:38 pm Same here. Who said this was "short term"?
In the Merc
"Phil Blake has come in on a short term contract with a view to trying to help out our defence and our coaching across the board," Murphy said.

"He is very experienced in rugby. He has been around for a long time and has done defences in a lot of different environments but has also very good with regards to sprinting and attack so he is a great addition for us.

"We felt that knowing him he would be comfortable coming in and contributing to the group very quickly."
Short term until the end of the season and then Ford to take over next season doesn't seem that far fetched now does it?!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Just hope it's not MF joining next season,you think things have been bad up to now? Bachman Turner Overdrive!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

So.. let me get this right.....

1) Blake short term contract????

2) Possibly MF to be Defensive coach next season

3) players and may I add supporters are Fed up with the Coaching Merry go Round.

Do we then deduce......
1) Blake has other commitments starting end of our domestic season.
2) MF is edging his bets and if something in the International arena( near neighbours) comes a knocking he drops Tigers like a hot spud.
3) The Merry go Round continues...

I for one hope Blake is in for the long haul(Tigers not Quantas). :smt018 :smt018 Because the above does not sit well .....
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Given the nature of Blake's departure last time, I wouldn't be so surprised if he's on probation.
Hence the temporary contract.
Keeps his nose clean and the jobs likely to be his.
If the plan was to give MF the job at the end of the season, why not just do it now?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….