Gloucester 23

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Gloucester 23

Post by Scott1 »

What is this fascination with playing Williams and Fitzy back to front???!!!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

When the result of Savage's disciplinary is announced later today the Glaws team may be a bit different. Notice he is not in the team, bench or unavailable.
Hehehehehehehehe
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

It's a fair point ellis and I largely agree, but as ourla says, if only these games were played on paper......

We should win, being at home and with Gloucester having so many injuries, let's bloomin' well hope so!!!
Soggypitch
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Soggypitch wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:43 pm It's a fair point ellis and I largely agree, but as ourla says, if only these games were played on paper......

We should win, being at home and with Gloucester having so many injuries, let's bloomin' well hope so!!!
I'm confident of a Tigers bonus point win.
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

Isnt won on paper but I'll do my best.

Front Row: We have a clear edge with the starting 3 and bench too so should give scrum dominance however this means very little these days with how theyre reffed most the time.

Second Row: clear advantage with Glaws both starting and bench and with our dodgy line-out, this is a major risk.

Back-row: advantage us for sure but again an area of the game that isn't properly reffed so could go either way. Their second row will impact the breakdown more than ours.

9. Clear advantage for us on paper but Ben in a Tigers shirt these days isn't half the 9 he is for England.

10. Ford vs Williams is close but George edges it.

Centres: name a 12-13 combo on paper stronger than Toomua and Tuilagi in Europe.

Back 3: May and Holmes give us the edge but Hudson is intelligent and Thorley a massive threat.

In theory we should win this. Expecting a game similar to the Scarlets one earlier in Europe. Line-out crucial.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Looks a strong line up from Gloucester with a very good bench. They have 5 players returning from injury. Any kind of win will do : lose and boy, when the internationals return after the 6 Nations relegation will be close to reality.
Will be cheering as loudly as possible at Welford Road tomorrow but these days I never expect to win.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Ian Cant wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:17 pm Looks a strong line up from Gloucester with a very good bench. They have 5 players returning from injury. Any kind of win will do : lose and boy, when the internationals return after the 6 Nations relegation will be close to reality.
Will be cheering as loudly as possible at Welford Road tomorrow but these days I never expect to win.
Does it? I wouldn't say that Gloucester line up is that strong.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ourla wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:14 pm Gloucester Rugby: 15 Tom Hudson, 14 Charlie Sharples, 13 Billy Twelvetrees, 12 Mark Atkinson, 11 Ollie Thorley, 10. Owen Williams, 9 Callum Braley; 1 Josh Hohneck, 2 Jaco Visagie, 3 Fraser Balmain, 4 Gerbrandt Grobler, 5 Franco Mostert, 6 Freddie Clarke, 7 Gareth Evans, 8 Ben Morgan (c)

Replacements: 16 Henry Walker, 17 Paddy McAllister, 18 Ciaran Knight, 19 Ed Slater, 20 Lewis Ludlow, 21 Ben Vellacott, 22 Henry Trinder, 23 Matt Banahan

Unavailable:
Ruan Ackermann, Danny Cipriani, Gareth Denman, Ruan Dreyer, Todd Gleave, James Hanson, Willi Heinz, Jaco Kriel, Franco Marais, Tom Marshall, Jake Polledri, Henry Purdy, Val Rapava Ruskin, Will Safe, Jason Woodward
Gloucester are missing a few.
To be honest I'm used to it being the other way.
Anyone who thinks Gloucester aren't a threat should watch Thorley's form this season but I fancy a Tigers win at home.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

BFG wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:37 pm
ourla wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:14 pm Gloucester Rugby: 15 Tom Hudson, 14 Charlie Sharples, 13 Billy Twelvetrees, 12 Mark Atkinson, 11 Ollie Thorley, 10. Owen Williams, 9 Callum Braley; 1 Josh Hohneck, 2 Jaco Visagie, 3 Fraser Balmain, 4 Gerbrandt Grobler, 5 Franco Mostert, 6 Freddie Clarke, 7 Gareth Evans, 8 Ben Morgan (c)

Replacements: 16 Henry Walker, 17 Paddy McAllister, 18 Ciaran Knight, 19 Ed Slater, 20 Lewis Ludlow, 21 Ben Vellacott, 22 Henry Trinder, 23 Matt Banahan

Unavailable:
Ruan Ackermann, Danny Cipriani, Gareth Denman, Ruan Dreyer, Todd Gleave, James Hanson, Willi Heinz, Jaco Kriel, Franco Marais, Tom Marshall, Jake Polledri, Henry Purdy, Val Rapava Ruskin, Will Safe, Jason Woodward
Gloucester are missing a few.
To be honest I'm used to it being the other way.
Anyone who thinks Gloucester aren't a threat should watch Thorley's form this season but I fancy a Tigers win at home.
A good Gloucester team, hopefully we can manage a win at home. We have the players if the performance is right and on the money. I think we have the edge over them, bar the second row.

On a side note, look at the quality that Gloucester are missing in their unavailable list. Quite some squad depth there, if all fit I would imagine they will walk into the top 4.
25tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by 25tiger »

We definitely need a good first half as Gloucester have some real firepower on the bench. As always the game will be won in the forwards and expecting lots of niggle between Genge and Balmain in the scrums.

We should take this at home but we will need to front up against their physical pack.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

My prediction:

Tigers lineout to be destroyed, as is the norm these days. Thorley to grab a wonder try in the second half, busting through 14 pathetically weak tackles.

Barnes to have an excellent game with the whistle and no one on the forum to be debating his decisions post-match.

Scrum dominance, outstanding breakdown work from Evans (earning him a place in the England 6N team ahead of the overrated Shields) and clever game management from Ford to give Tigers the possession needed for the back line to flourish and seal a 34-26 bonus point win.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

However well we play and whatever shinanigans occur I hope Mr Barnes does a better job than JP did last week.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Big Dai wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:02 pm However well we play and whatever shinanigans occur I hope Mr Barnes does a better job than JP did last week.
If the Tigers play well and as they say present a 'good picture' to WB then all will be OK. If like last week they are permanently on the back-foot then expect sanctions? While JP did have a poor game by his standards it was IMO the Tigers lack of ideas that lead to their defeat against a not very good Bath side.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

I think that Tiglon will not be far off with his predictions . The Glaws 2nd row is very strong and they have a big back row . Thorley scares me - he is just back from injury but he looks an England prospect with pace , aggression and skill . We ought to be far better at half back but will Ben deliver ?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

A few of the Leicester squad not available, Tom Youngs, Spencer, Smith, Tait, Veainu, Thompson, Thompstone, Denton, Stevens, Hardwick, Fred Tuilagi and probably a few others I have not thought of.
Nice to see so many home produced players in our matchday squad.