Dave Ward incident

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Dave Ward incident

Post by strawclearer »

Neck roll; treading on ankle - yellow cards.

The spit:

Anyone remember when Chris Broad hit his stumps over in anger at being given out? As a Cricket Coach, I had to spend a long time convincing kids this was the wrong thing to do. Good luck to you Rugby Coaches over the next few weeks.

It might be interesting to ask the Head Coach of Guildford RFC what he thinks...

https://www.guildfordrugbyclub.co.uk/teams/1st-xv/
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:13 am Did you know that Shields is 0-7 in a Wasps shirt?!
And he was skipper yesterday ahead of Daley. Possible indication of Daley’s move to Saracens
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Daley hasn't been right for ages,petulant,forcing things, making crazy onfield decisions. Hes gone!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Harlequins Statement:

FOLLOWING THE PREMIERSHIP MATCH BETWEEN HARLEQUINS AND WASPS AT TWICKENHAM ON 29TH DECEMBER THE CLUB HAS REVIEWED AN INCIDENT INVOLVING DAVE WARD AND THOMAS YOUNG IN THE 10TH MINUTE, WHICH LED TO A YELLOW CARD FOR WARD.

Following this review the Club has decided to give Dave Ward a one game suspension for treading on Thomas Young's ankle.

Harlequins Head of Rugby Paul Gustard said: "We have reviewed this episode as a club and I have spoken with Dave.

"We do not coach, condone or accept foul play and on behalf of the team and the Club, I apologise to Thomas, Dai and Wasps for this incident. It was an unnecessary and regrettable incident in what was a tightly contested match at Twickenham."

The Club also reviewed an alleged spitting incident involving Dave Ward and are satisfied that there is no case to answer.

Ward said: "I apologise unreservedly to Thomas Young, Wasps and everyone at Harlequins for my yellow card yesterday.

"I would also like to make clear that I did not spit on another player during the match yesterday. Regardless of what the television footage looks like I know that I have never spat on a player in all my career and will never do so."
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Clever by Gustard! Still needs looking into though
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

He said he had been near the ruck as part of a match which was "all about the search for 5 points".

Asked about the spitting incident, he said he was present at the spot when spit may have been spat but added: "I don't think I was actually involved in it".
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:24 am What’s everyone’s opinion on this?

In my view, it’s been a bit blown out of proportion, I’ve not seen the spitting so I can’t comment on that but the stamp was hardly a stamp and the way in which Thomas Young reacted the pair should’ve been yellow carded too.

People are also in flames about his earlier neckroll, I’m sorry but if he ends up getting banned for that too that is just bordering on disgraceful, the whole Exeter and Sale team should get banned too if that happens.
Regarding the neck roll, I'd liken the neck roll in seriousness to the seat belt tackle, both need taking out of the game but they are much less dangerous than diving into the ruck off feet or a tackle with direct contact to the head.

Treading on the opposition players ankle was deliberate.
There are enough injuries these days without this kind of thing, we don't need more of it and the players certainly don't, but it's up to the players to decide how they treat eachother as they are the people suffering the consequences of injuries!

I'd suggest you watch the spitting incident, what can't speak can't lie!
It should've been a red card on its own, filthy behaviour that ruined a big rugby occasion.

Combine all three in one match and it does give the impression of a very poor standard of morality!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Did he spit though or was it a case of say it don't spray it and it flew out of his mouth while shouting something? Not condoning it either way but it can/does happen.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

He definitely spat but is there conclusive evidence it was at/on the player?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I know he definitely spat but was it as he shouted something or was it a normal spit?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:53 pm I know he definitely spat but was it as he shouted something or was it a normal spit?
I saw no speech and it looked like spitting to me.
Combined with treading on the players ankle at the same time it looked like a dirty attempt at antagonising the opponent.
In days past self policing would've dealt with this, but that would've created an a extremely nasty brawl.
Today's players are reliant on the officials to do the right thing, they bottled this one in my opinion, the commentators spotted it immediately.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Thanks BFG,if it is the case let's hope it's a big ban!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

anz3001 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:47 pm He definitely spat but is there conclusive evidence it was at/on the player?
To be fair, if Ward's spit hit Young it was clearly by accident because if he aimed for him he'd miss.... cow's posterior and banjo springs to mind.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:28 pm Clever by Gustard! Still needs looking into though
Used to be quite common by Tigers too, although the process is quite slick now so I’m not entirely sure what they hope to achieve, other than reducing the “headline” of the ban by a week (I think he’ll get more than a week).
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Only if they can prove the spitting incident though I think. That "stamp" won't be upgraded to a red imo.