LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 4

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 4

Post by Cagey Tiger »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:57 pm Diamond quoted by Sky...

"Diamond said he is preparing to announce a string of contract extensions and the signings of five new internationals to take the club up to the cap and - he hopes - into the top four.

Those internationals will not include the Du Preez brothers, who only joined on short-term deals, but could include one England player."

And in the Grauniad:

"South African brothers Rob and Jean-Luc de Preez are due to leave the club when their short-term deals expire."
And in The Times :

"He said that the new signings did not include the three Du Preez brothers."
"Next season they are expected to play at Leicester Tigers"
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:14 am
strawclearer wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:57 pm Diamond quoted by Sky...

"Diamond said he is preparing to announce a string of contract extensions and the signings of five new internationals to take the club up to the cap and - he hopes - into the top four.

Those internationals will not include the Du Preez brothers, who only joined on short-term deals, but could include one England player."

And in the Grauniad:

"South African brothers Rob and Jean-Luc de Preez are due to leave the club when their short-term deals expire."
And in The Times :

"He said that the new signings did not include the three Du Preez brothers."
"Next season they are expected to play at Leicester Tigers"
Is that a direct quote from Diamond or the Times journalist?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:02 am Well - RB has added two of them to his 'Rumours In' list!
Don't read too much into that it's past the threshold needed to be on it BUT I have heard more sources say Sale.
Generally the Rumours in isn't anything definitive but list is more what you'd call "guidelines"

For example I know a couple players deemed to have signed that no one has mentioned or has linked to us in the media, that I have not added.

SA have odd transfer rules about when their players can officially sign for another club so this might be Diamonds way of distancing himself, if indeed the Times and Sky are right.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:04 pm
strawclearer wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:02 am Well - RB has added two of them to his 'Rumours In' list!
Don't read too much into that it's past the threshold needed to be on it BUT I have heard more sources say Sale.
Generally the Rumours in isn't anything definitive but list is more what you'd call "guidelines"

For example I know a couple players deemed to have signed that no one has mentioned or has linked to us in the media, that I have not added.

SA have odd transfer rules about when their players can officially sign for another club so this might be Diamonds way of distancing himself, if indeed the Times and Sky are right.
Like knowing we’ve signed Du Toit as our marquee player next season? :smt002
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Scuttle wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:39 am
I see your point but I would prefer a player who will be with us through the season and not be off half the time on international duty
Like Toomua? Oh... :smt003

Hopefully a better written contract!
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:15 pm
Scuttle wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:39 am
I see your point but I would prefer a player who will be with us through the season and not be off half the time on international duty
Like Toomua? Oh... :smt003

Hopefully a better written contract!
Indeed. You can tell I am not a fan of stacking the shelves with internationals
As Good As It Gets
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

JP14 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:40 am
Traveller wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:47 pm
ay2oh wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:46 pm Disagree. Our front row is the best in the premiership and Denton,Spencer and Thompson are quality. Coaching and game plan is the issue
Vunipola, George Koch
Vunipola is nowhere near as good a scrummager as Genge, Koch is a decent all-round player but you do realise that statistically Saracens are one of the worse scrummagers in Europe.
My mistake again. I was under the impression that Vunipola was a Lions Test Prop and Genge (superb prospect though he is) - isn't in the England team yet.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Vunipola is a Lions test prop because of his work rate, experience and looseplay not because of his scrummaging.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

Traveller wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:04 pm
JP14 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:40 am
Traveller wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:47 pm

Vunipola, George Koch
Vunipola is nowhere near as good a scrummager as Genge, Koch is a decent all-round player but you do realise that statistically Saracens are one of the worse scrummagers in Europe.
My mistake again. I was under the impression that Vunipola was a Lions Test Prop and Genge (superb prospect though he is) - isn't in the England team yet.
To be fair, when Marler was on the Pod the other day he was pretty clear that it was Mako, Genge then everyone else as a reason England were fine at Loosehead - Genge clearly is the preferred "finisher" for EJ when fit.

Not going to argue with a lot of the other stuff, but Genge is genuinely elite level. That interview just before Xmas does make it doubtful he'll stay long term mind...
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

Also what are people thinking will happen with Manu? Maybe a one year extension to ensure he could play in the RWC, before a wheelbarrow full of cash takes him off to France?

Or will he stick around?
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

WildGoose wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:28 pm Also what are people thinking will happen with Manu? Maybe a one year extension to ensure he could play in the RWC, before a wheelbarrow full of cash takes him off to France?

Or will he stick around?
I would not be surprised to see Tuilagi, May, Holmes and Genge leave at the end of this season.
As Good As It Gets
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scuttle wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:36 pm
WildGoose wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:28 pm Also what are people thinking will happen with Manu? Maybe a one year extension to ensure he could play in the RWC, before a wheelbarrow full of cash takes him off to France?

Or will he stick around?
I would not be surprised to see Tuilagi, May, Holmes and Genge leave at the end of this season.
I would. Three of them are under contract for next season as far as I'm aware. Manu despite the speculation has Tigers at heart and will want to stay, particularly with a new born and a girlfriend from the area. It's all just haggling over the details. Tigers will be trying to reduce the contract whilst Manu will be trying to maintain or increase it.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Scuttle wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:36 pm

Or will he stick around?
Holmes signed a new deal just before he received his call up to the Wales squad.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

JP14 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:16 pm Vunipola is a Lions test prop because of his work rate, experience and looseplay not because of his scrummaging.
And Genge has 5 England caps.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:03 pm
JP14 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:16 pm Vunipola is a Lions test prop because of his work rate, experience and looseplay not because of his scrummaging.
And Genge has 5 England caps.
Don Armand, percieved by many to be the best flanker in the Premiership, has only 2 caps. Although in my opinion he’s anything but.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni