LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 4

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 4

Post by BFG »

Be good if Mako and Genge could combine to form strong depth for rotation purposes.
I wouldn't enjoy seeing another Corbisiero type injury situation develop for one.
Moon has been really good but is more of a tight player.
Horses for courses but they are all really good options.
Not surprised that Marler stopped, he isn't in their league and went on too long anyway in my opinion.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Genge is to inconsistent with his scrummaging and in the loose to be first choice in front of Vinipola, I thought he had a bad day against Thomas in the game against Bath. Thomas matched him in the scrum and totally outplayed him in open field, for me Genge is not the top prop a few on here think he is, good club player but not top international class. I await the abuse as I am convinced there are to many one eyed fans on this forum, we are not as good as many here think we are.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

BigDan50 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:00 pm Genge is to inconsistent with his scrummaging and in the loose to be first choice in front of Vinipola, I thought he had a bad day against Thomas in the game against Bath. Thomas matched him in the scrum and totally outplayed him in open field, for me Genge is not the top prop a few on here think he is, good club player but not top international class. I await the abuse as I am convinced there are to many one eyed fans on this forum, we are not as good as many here think we are.
Genge is fairly recently back from long term injury. Before that he was arguably one of our most effective and influential players. With regards to how good we are, we are 9th which I think sums it up.
I'm not cynical just experienced
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Scuttle wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:36 pm
WildGoose wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:28 pm Also what are people thinking will happen with Manu? Maybe a one year extension to ensure he could play in the RWC, before a wheelbarrow full of cash takes him off to France?

Or will he stick around?
I would not be surprised to see Tuilagi, May, Holmes and Genge leave at the end of this season.
May and Genge are under contract for next year.
Smurf all but confirmed Holmes agreed a new deal before his Wales call up.
Manu has been quoted in the press as wanting to see his career out at Tigers.

I await RB or Ellis to correct me, but I can't imagine all four of those will be off.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

chewbacca wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:16 pm
BigDan50 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:00 pm Genge is to inconsistent with his scrummaging and in the loose to be first choice in front of Vinipola, I thought he had a bad day against Thomas in the game against Bath. Thomas matched him in the scrum and totally outplayed him in open field, for me Genge is not the top prop a few on here think he is, good club player but not top international class. I await the abuse as I am convinced there are to many one eyed fans on this forum, we are not as good as many here think we are.
Genge is fairly recently back from long term injury. Before that he was arguably one of our most effective and influential players. With regards to how good we are, we are 9th which I think sums it up.
Yes Genge has been thrown straight back into it with the unfortunate injury to Bateman.
I thought that he looked a little tired against Bath, but it's understandable given all the circumstances with return from injury, the way the Bath match was played out under defensive pressure, Bateman missing, and the way Genge plays with 100% effort and the fact that he isn't really that old himself!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Bateman is training though so I hope he’s going to feature this weekend.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

JP14 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:40 am
Traveller wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:47 pm
ay2oh wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:46 pm Disagree. Our front row is the best in the premiership and Denton,Spencer and Thompson are quality. Coaching and game plan is the issue
Vunipola, George Koch
Vunipola is nowhere near as good a scrummager as Genge, Koch is a decent all-round player but you do realise that statistically Saracens are one of the worse scrummagers in Europe.
So the 1st choice British Lion Test Loose Head in a drawn series against the ABs isn't as good a prop as Genge (who is not even first choice for England). Gatland and Jones seem to prefer MV. George the other 1st choice British Lion Test Hooker in the Sarries front row, presumably is not quite as good as TPN (who is in and out of a weak Aussie team), Kerr or Youngs. Although Gatland and Jones don't seem to think so. Which leaves Koch v Cole.
Any thoughts on the relative merits of Edwards and John v Young and Ford?

Genge, TPN and Cole are all very fine players, and Kerr looks like a fine prospect. The three make an impressive front row. I just don't think the statement that Genge, TPN and Cole are the best in the premiership stacks up. But thats the fun of the forum. So Happy New Year 2019 - all Tigers fans anyway.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I'd say best scrummaging front row with Chiefs second. Shame it's not the olden days where scrummaging win games!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

6 signings to be announced apparently.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

WildGoose wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:28 pm Also what are people thinking will happen with Manu? Maybe a one year extension to ensure he could play in the RWC, before a wheelbarrow full of cash takes him off to France?

Or will he stick around?
I would not be surprised to see Tuilagi, May, Holmes and Genge leave at the end of this season.
May I suggest that people do their homework regarding the length of players contracts before posting pathetic comments on here
A2O
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:48 pm I'd say best scrummaging front row with Chiefs second. Shame it's not the olden days where scrummaging win games!
and that is now critical, I can't remember the last time I saw a pushover try.

In the match against Bath there were 14 scrums (5 with Tigers put in), but there were 350 breakdowns.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:59 pm

Or will he stick around?
May I suggest that people do their homework regarding the length of players contracts before posting pathetic comments on here
To be fair, Tigers don't announce the length of players contracts so even if they do try and research it, they won't find the answer. (Although it's common knowledge Tuilagi's contract expires this season.)
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ellis9 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:20 am

The money from CVC isn't meant to be used on players though.
Has anyone specified what any CVC windfall can or can’t be spent on? Certainly there has been no appetite to raise the salary cap, but the marquee falls outside of this anyway. Telling clubs what they could spend the money on could be very difficult considering the majority have been running at a significant loss for most of their recent history.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Scuttle wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:28 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:15 pm
Scuttle wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:39 am
I see your point but I would prefer a player who will be with us through the season and not be off half the time on international duty
Like Toomua? Oh... :smt003

Hopefully a better written contract!
Indeed. You can tell I am not a fan of stacking the shelves with internationals
The best ones are the non-marquee types: Scott Hamilton, Newby, Betham. A few caps under their belt but not breaking the bank.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Yes but it is common knowledge for those who do their homework that Genge and Holmes are contracted for next season at least
A2O