LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 4

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 4

Post by Scott1 »

12 signings in January for Sale with the two DP brothers looking likely according to Dimes!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:49 am Thompson and BoC are very able too,in fact we've got some very good options if we can fix our lineout woes!
On our own ball, yes, but we don't ever put pressure on the opposition ball. I know he was an exceptional operator, but we've never replaced Crofty as someone who can attack and steal opposition ball. We only ever seem to nick their ball due to a mistake we don't go up and nab it. You can count the genuine number of lineout steals since Crofty retired on the fingers of one hand.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

A tad harsh! Kitchener was the AP top lineout stealer over the course of a whole season and Wells this season and last has stolen some very good ball. It's the inconsistency on our own and opponents ball that's killing us!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:02 am 12 signings in January for Sale with the two DP brothers looking likely according to Dimes!
I thought he said it was looking like Robert, the fly half, was likely to sign with them long term. Hopefully we have got the backrowers, Jean-Luc and Dan.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Personally I don't think Jim has got his info right on the DP brothers to us.
Also can see Dan joining Sale, (Not sure why but they like having 50 back rowers).

Can see Beaumont leaving Sale, we got close to signing him last time before Sale offered him the captaincy, wasted at lock played his best rugby at 8.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I've read about Beaumont to us somewhere else RB,why not? There's a player in there he's just gone stale.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Reading a piece about Niall Morris in the Irish press, currently coaching at Blackrock College might be worth slipping him a few £££ under the table to get some extra scouting....
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Beaumont as an 8 would help the line-out woes, he's a fantastic jumper.

It wouldn't help with bulk in the forwards but we need a signing such as Green alongside a big second row investment either way.

Whether it's a lock, blindside (Matera?) or number 8 (Jean-Luc du Preez?) a significant chunk of Toomua's wage needs to go into the forwards.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

We have signed Sarto.
https://www.rugbymeet.com/it/news/merca ... ter-tigers

I did Kind of leave a clue in the previous thread but no one picked up on it.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

RagingBull wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:51 am We have signed Sarto.
https://www.rugbymeet.com/it/news/merca ... ter-tigers

I did Kind of leave a clue in the previous thread but no one picked up on it.
Injury dispensation or for next season? Or both?
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Signed until end of season - injury dispensation do we think on TV and/or MTait?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Does this mean the Charlie Walker deal is off?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:06 pm Does this mean the Charlie Walker deal is off?
No, we have more than just Veainu out for a while.
Thompstone will be out for a few months most likely, Murphy comments sort of confirmed it for me.

Both would be cheap.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I read a lot on here about various forwards leaving and just wondered if it is just speculation/hoping? More urgent for me is another quality centre who can be a decent backup FH. It will be even more important if Manu leaves and still think we need one even if he stays

I think we will lose only a few of our forwards either to the 6N or world cup but will lose most of our backs - Forwards for the 6N would probably be Denton, Genge and maybe Coles only but I grant you that the world cup will take many more but the backs for the 6N will be many more - May, Youngs, Ford, Tuilagi and possibly Holmes. WC is almost impossible to cover with real quality but would not want to tie us into long term contracts with run of the mill players when we have reasonably good players already - Williams, Kitchener, Fitzgerald, O'Connor, Thomson and Wells, none of whom are likely to feature in either competition. If some of them are leaving, and we will soon know, then of course, they will need to be replaced but our marque money should be a centre/FH from the SH and be available during the 6N for the next couple of years. Harumichi Tatekawa or Elton Jantjies would fit the bill nicely for me but think they may prove to be pie in the sky
Hehehehehehehehe
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Coops wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:55 am Signed until end of season - injury dispensation do we think on TV and/or MTait?
Knowing our luck he will now be called up by Italy for the six nations :smt003
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity