LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 4

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 4

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:31 pm The club haven't posted it yet because they know they will get pelters from this forum if there isn't at least 5 world class players....
I just want something to feel optimistic about, and I don't think I'm alone in that. It's been a grim season that in all probability will get a lot worse during the 6N so I don't think it's so wrong to clamour for a little ray of sunshine. One silver lining is that if we do manage to rope in anybody special they'll be greeted like a conquering hero before they've even touched a ball.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

In any business that is stuttering badly in one crucial aspect of its entirety, then the Management that oversees it is normally cleared out.

It happens elsewhere every single day of the week, if you read the Financial Times.

Two other Clubs that are in the same boat, management not up to scratch are Newcastle United and Manchester United,
We are worse.

Its time for a complete clear out of anyone on the Board associated with the playing side.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

fortysix wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:18 am In any business that is stuttering badly in one crucial aspect of its entirety, then the Management that oversees it is normally cleared out.

It happens elsewhere every single day of the week, if you read the Financial Times.

Two other Clubs that are in the same boat, management not up to scratch are Newcastle United and Manchester United,
We are worse.

Its time for a complete clear out of anyone on the Board associated with the playing side.
Amen to that.
I'm not cynical just experienced
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

JGT57 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:20 pm To be honest, I think it is disrespectful to the loyal fans not to make statements and yet send out renewal calls for season ticket holders.
In fairness, ST renewals aren't happening until March, with no letters until Feb.

I'm starting to think, unless the club really struggle to sell tickets for Wasps and Saints at home, or we don't win a game going into the next set of league fixtures, we won't hear anything until the renewals open up.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:31 pm The club haven't posted it yet because they know they will get pelters from this forum if there isn't at least 5 world class players....
Don't forget those world class players shouldn't be missing for international periods unless we also have almost-world-class backups for them
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Would Clifford be a good signing for us? Showing some good form coming back from injury.

Rumoured to be leaving Quins, would he really want to go to Exeter when there is no guarantee he will start with the likes of Armand, Kvesic, Ewers, Simmonds etc....
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Clifford no,too much of a Hollywood player and not what we need. He would fit in perfectly with Chiefs alternating with Simmonds because there's 7 other forwards who take up the slack leaving them to do the flash stuff (I realise they have important roles,just simplifying it)
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Bath confirm they've signed Mike Williams along with Lewis Boyce, Christian Judge and Will Stuart

https://www.bathrugby.com/news/bath-rug ... -signings/
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:15 pm Bath confirm they've signed Mike Williams along with Lewis Boyce, Christian Judge and Will Stuart

https://www.bathrugby.com/news/bath-rug ... -signings/
Good. I was actually worried when the rumours surfaced that he might be staying at Tigers. When he first joined Tigers, he was my favourite player, massive physicality with a massive workrate with carries. Would carry like 15 times per match and would wear down the opposition. 2 years ago arguably one of the best flankers in the premiership and justified his EPS selection. Guy was immense.

After his double arm break though, for whatever reason, he hasn’t been the same player. Nor sadly has he looked to ever regain that form. So happy for him to go to pastures new and wish him the best of luck.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I for one am very disappointed, maybe not the player he was two years ago but he’s still one of our best outright defenders even if 4 successive head coaches continually play him out of position :smt013, I’m hoping at least one du Preez has been signed in his stead.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:06 pm I for one am very disappointed, maybe not the player he was two years ago but he’s still one of our best outright defenders even if 4 successive head coaches continually play him out of position :smt013, I’m hoping at least one du Preez has been signed in his stead.
When he connects he's good. This season he's been coming out the line and been stepped. Most notably by Morgan for his break and offload that set Thorley free.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

He is only half the player he was two seasons ago, and I for one am relieved he is leaving, but of course wish him well. That still leaves a problem at 4, 5, 7, and 8. in my opinion.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:58 pm He is only half the player he was two seasons ago, and I for one am relieved he is leaving, but of course wish him well. That still leaves a problem at 4, 5, 7, and 8. in my opinion.
It seems the club would agree if the rumours are true and we've not tried to keep Williams. Got to offload a couple in those positions to free up cap for new options.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Watching the Edinburgh v Montpellier game.. would personally give up my beloved collection of historical Tigers tops for that number 8 Mata... he looks the real deal.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:31 pm Watching the Edinburgh v Montpellier game.. would personally give up my beloved collection of historical Tigers tops for that number 8 Mata... he looks the real deal.
He does indeed. Imagine our first choice backs playing off him. If only...

Edinburgh scrum has been well on top. Shame about the Montpelier try at the end of the half but fair play to du Plessis in getting the ball down over the line.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!