LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 4

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 4

Post by chewbacca »

So it's now posts on an internet forum that's to blame for players not wanting to come to Tigers. Nothing to do with a decline which has seen us go from perenial semi-finalists as a minimum to relegation contenders. We've had changes to head coach/DoR, players and coaches over the years of decline with no improvement. What we havent seen is a change where it is most needed. Somebody who is not a coach nor a player is responsible for and has overseen this decline. Priority identify them and get rid ASAP.
I'm not cynical just experienced
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

chewbacca wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:23 pm So it's now posts on an internet forum that's to blame for players not wanting to come to Tigers. Nothing to do with a decline which has seen us go from perenial semi-finalists as a minimum to relegation contenders. We've had changes to head coach/DoR, players and coaches over the years of decline with no improvement. What we havent seen is a change where it is most needed. Somebody who is not a coach nor a player is responsible for and has overseen this decline. Priority identify them and get rid ASAP.
Turkeys never vote for Christmas :smt013
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Given the quality of squad the likes of Glos, Sale, Bristol, Wasps and Sarries have and or are currently building I am utterly discombobulated as to why we are incapable of doing likewise as after all we are supposed to be spending upto the cap??
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Sapajoe said:
Given the quality of squad the likes of Glos, Sale, Bristol, Wasps and Sarries have and or are currently building I am utterly discombobulated as to why we are incapable of doing likewise as after all we are supposed to be spending up to the cap??

But clearly one or two clubs get round the cap. Sarries being the leading example. Where are they in the league? Exactly.
A life long Tiger
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

chewbacca wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:23 pm So it's now posts on an internet forum that's to blame for players not wanting to come to Tigers. Nothing to do with a decline which has seen us go from perenial semi-finalists as a minimum to relegation contenders. We've had changes to head coach/DoR, players and coaches over the years of decline with no improvement. What we havent seen is a change where it is most needed. Somebody who is not a coach nor a player is responsible for and has overseen this decline. Priority identify them and get rid ASAP.
But please do not blame the usual suspect. It is the BoD to blame and particularly the two directors responsible for the playing side (BK & RU)
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:11 pm
But please do not blame the usual suspect. It is the BoD to blame and particularly the two directors responsible for the playing side (BK & RU)
The rugby committee (Pete Tom, Simon Cohen, Ben Kay, Rory Underwood, Ged Glynn and I think Dusty Hare) are all responsible. Dusty is a relatively new appointment, Pete Tom has recently been re-voted in and Simon Cohen is probably untouchable.

Ben Kay and Rory Underwood probably could have done more, but at the same time how much influence do they have? Ged Glynn is head of Rugby Operations and surely, academy aside, that's just nose diving?

Don't expect changes on that front, folks.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:11 pm But please do not blame the usual suspect. It is the BoD to blame and particularly the two directors responsible for the playing side (BK & RU)
I would never blame a player(apart from once wishing GF tackled like Toomua, and he has improved) nor a coach (Ok I never wanted MoC and was happy to see him go). Although statistcal correlation does not guarantee identifaction of a cause I have a feeling that our decline started around the time Peter Wheeler left. I'm not blaming him btw. :smt002
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

chewbacca wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:37 pm
jgriffin wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:11 pm But please do not blame the usual suspect. It is the BoD to blame and particularly the two directors responsible for the playing side (BK & RU)
I would never blame a player(apart from once wishing GF tackled like Toomua, and he has improved) nor a coach (Ok I never wanted MoC and was happy to see him go). Although statistcal correlation does not guarantee identifaction of a cause I have a feeling that our decline started around the time Peter Wheeler left. I'm not blaming him btw. :smt002
Must’ve been living on the dark side of the moon cos I didn’t even know Wheeler had left!! Where’s he gone ?
Semper in excretia
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Peter retired in 2015.
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

Good correlation, don't think Peter Wheeler would have let things slip this badly.He must cringe at the back 5 forwards overall weaknesses, jacks of all trades and masters of none. We need to go back to basics, frightening forwards and ultra quick backs.Maybe Gengey has some brothers and sisters who can help out.We need 8 of him.
Alandrin75
Tiger Cub

Post by Alandrin75 »

TTRITH wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:33 pm
The rugby committee (Pete Tom, Simon Cohen, Ben Kay, Rory Underwood, Ged Glynn and I think Dusty Hare) are all responsible. Dusty is a relatively new appointment, Pete Tom has recently been re-voted in and Simon Cohen is probably untouchable.

Ben Kay and Rory Underwood probably could have done more, but at the same time how much influence do they have? Ged Glynn is head of Rugby Operations and surely, academy aside, that's just nose diving?

Is the academy nose diving? I thought they have won every game so far this season and have a number of players from our academy coming into the first team currently
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Alandrin75 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:32 pm
TTRITH wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:33 pm

Is the academy nose diving? I thought they have won every game so far this season and have a number of players from our academy coming into the first team currently
That's why I specifically said Academy aside.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Jonah Holmes (or as the BBC call him Jason!) has been included in the Wales squad of 39 players for the 6Nations - I suppose a lot rests on Halfpenny's recovery and others.
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/46877296
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

wormus wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:01 pm Jonah Holmes (or as the BBC call him Jason!) has been included in the Wales squad of 39 players for the 6Nations - I suppose a lot rests on Halfpenny's recovery and others.
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/46877296
Halfpenny is out for another 5 weeks IIRC, which would mean missing at least the two opening games.

Probably going to be Liam Williams starting at fullback but then there's a lot of ways of covering him from the bench; Jonah & Amos who also cover wing or Anscombe & Patchell who can cover fly half and full back
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Worth to Wasps seems to be growing - https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/rug ... ps-2429161
Hehehehehehehehe