LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 4

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 4

Post by ellis9 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:16 pm Are we even linked with anyone???
Our new marquee player is very likely to be a second row or flanker.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Good news! Could we be getting the DP brothers then ,wonder who Sale are after?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Well - RB has added two of them to his 'Rumours In' list!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I sincerely hope that none of the Du Preez brothers arrive as marquee signings.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:19 am I sincerely hope that none of the Du Preez brothers arrive as marquee signings.
Who are you hoping for the marquee player to be then?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

None of them. The marquee needs to be a "big money" player; a player of decent talent (and probably international caps), experience and preferably a household name (in rugby terms) to generate footfall. Jean-Luc maybe (at a push) fits that category, but is still a relatively inexperienced young player with 13 caps. Talented, but maybe lacking in experience and generating excitement (which Toomua arguably brought with him when he arrived at Welford Road matchday - until his knee went 20 minutes later).

With CVC arriving, the marquee might actually be worth pushing the boat out a little further for, just this once. A real big name player.

(But that's for Murphy/Glynn/Cohen to decide, not me :smt002 )
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:40 am None of them. The marquee needs to be a "big money" player; a player of decent talent (and probably international caps), experience and preferably a household name (in rugby terms) to generate footfall. Jean-Luc maybe (at a push) fits that category, but is still a relatively inexperienced young player with 13 caps. Talented, but maybe lacking in experience and generating excitement (which Toomua arguably brought with him when he arrived at Welford Road matchday - until his knee went 20 minutes later).

With CVC arriving, the marquee might actually be worth pushing the boat out a little further for, just this once. A real big name player.

The money from CVC isn't meant to be used on players though.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:40 am None of them. The marquee needs to be a "big money" player; a player of decent talent (and probably international caps), experience and preferably a household name (in rugby terms) to generate footfall. Jean-Luc maybe (at a push) fits that category, but is still a relatively inexperienced young player with 13 caps. Talented, but maybe lacking in experience and generating excitement (which Toomua arguably brought with him when he arrived at Welford Road matchday - until his knee went 20 minutes later).

I see your point but I would prefer a player who will be with us through the season and not be off half the time on international duty; I think continuity will help performance improve. A marquee player will have some attraction but a winning team will be a stronger pull.
As Good As It Gets
BIttySmalls

Post by BIttySmalls »

Traveller wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:45 pm Sorry guys, having read all of this. I realise now how wrong I am. The team is fine, the coaching has just been a tad iffy, the CEO is doing a cracking job. Glynn has cracked the academy. The Board have shown great insight in their recruitment and retention of DORs / Head Coach. The recruitment policy has been methodically planned. I'm just throwing a hissy fit after a poor first half of the season. The rest of the premiership clubs are fighting each other for most of our forwards. And there has been a flood of academy graduates over the last five / six years who have become regulars in the 1st XV - the last one being - Manu Tuilagi. Not a single academy graduate in the last five years has become a regular. In contrast to Exeter, Saracens, Harlequins, Wasps, Sale, Newcastle, Worcester, Newcastle, Bath, Bristol, Northampton - yep that would be everyone else.

It's just that for me if you look at just about any relevant statistic about Tigers over the last five / six years I thought the trend was obvious. I can't think of any CEO (and that is Cohen's title) in any other business who would still be in his job given the performance of 'the product' during his tenure. I thought Glynn was 'Head of Rugby Operations'?
No other posts are necessary from this point. Traveller nails it.

Forum completed.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

BIttySmalls wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:24 am
Traveller wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:45 pm Sorry guys, having read all of this. I realise now how wrong I am. The team is fine, the coaching has just been a tad iffy, the CEO is doing a cracking job. Glynn has cracked the academy. The Board have shown great insight in their recruitment and retention of DORs / Head Coach. The recruitment policy has been methodically planned. I'm just throwing a hissy fit after a poor first half of the season. The rest of the premiership clubs are fighting each other for most of our forwards. And there has been a flood of academy graduates over the last five / six years who have become regulars in the 1st XV - the last one being - Manu Tuilagi. Not a single academy graduate in the last five years has become a regular. In contrast to Exeter, Saracens, Harlequins, Wasps, Sale, Newcastle, Worcester, Newcastle, Bath, Bristol, Northampton - yep that would be everyone else.

It's just that for me if you look at just about any relevant statistic about Tigers over the last five / six years I thought the trend was obvious. I can't think of any CEO (and that is Cohen's title) in any other business who would still be in his job given the performance of 'the product' during his tenure. I thought Glynn was 'Head of Rugby Operations'?
No other posts are necessary from this point. Traveller nails it.

Forum completed.
These are my sentiments entirely, no wonder Cohen et al are all still here when we have people happy to accept such ineptitude :smt012

It is refreshing to see someone on the forum actually a realist instead of a one eyed Tigers fanboy :smt023
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I would argue Jean-Luc is marquee worthy but only at a push. Good news anyhow that they’re not staying at Sale.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Traveller wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:47 pm
ay2oh wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:46 pm Disagree. Our front row is the best in the premiership and Denton,Spencer and Thompson are quality. Coaching and game plan is the issue
Vunipola, George Koch
Vunipola is nowhere near as good a scrummager as Genge, Koch is a decent all-round player but you do realise that statistically Saracens are one of the worse scrummagers in Europe.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

I think Diamonds comments re: the DP brothers have been slightly misquoted / misunderstood. I still expect them to remain at Sale, but won't be included as part of the impending 'collection' of announcements. As contracted to the Sharks (SA, not Salford!) I think they probably have obligations to return to SA.

I could however be talking absolute *******, just my take on it all!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

TRP saying we are still looking to sign Charlie Walker, but for next season and not immediately as any injury dispensation.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Great post,nailed!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer