Bath next week ....

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Bath next week ....

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Does anyone know Evans’ stats off the bench? Must have made more metres than most of our starting forwards!
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:11 pm
WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:07 pm
kend wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:50 pmDoyle had an interesting day, quite right about the illegality of the jump but then fails to tmo more obvious questions. What were his TJ's looking at? Stops the game for no injury, but allows play to head to a prone player resulting in a further injury. I presume some questions will be asked....
AR called the knock on in the build up to Bath's 2nd try and, I believe, also mentioned it again after the try award - JPD ignored him by the looks of it.
no JP claimed the knock on was caused by Worth not letting go of the ball and that's why he allowed it
The point being that the knock-on still happened.

If Worth held on too long and was a factor in causing a knock-on, then it could be a penalty to Bath. But no try. Because the ball was knocked on. And that's not even debatable - the footage clearly showed Underhill pick the ball off the ground, lose control and drop it forward. If the ref thinks that was because of Worth holding on, then it's a penalty to Bath. If it's simply a knock-on then it's a scrum to Tigers. Those are the only two options.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:19 am
drc_007 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:54 am Final match stats.

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/matchstats? ... gue=267979

39 missed tackles, Genge missed 5, Wells 5, Fitzpatrick 4 worst offenders.

Lack of ball carrying by forwards very clear.
Depends on how and where the tackles were missed. If you hit someone and drive them back as part of a two man tackle but release before the other man takes them to floor does that count as a missed tackle because you haven't completed it?

Wells made 15 and Fitzgerald a hat full as well. Throwing themselves at everything. Genge did make way earlier than I expected, maybe he was tiring and slipping off tackles. As a team we were generally still a big high going into contact, Vuna managed to bounce through a few tackles towards the end as we tired and went high.
Bear in mind that one (or more) of those missed tackles will be the 'missed' tackle on Roberts that successfully took him to ground well short of the line...
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:53 pm Does anyone know Evans’ stats off the bench? Must have made more metres than most of our starting forwards!
http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/playerstats ... gue=267979

3 carries for 15m. Not actually a lot, but eye-catching because of the metres per carry. Made slightly less ground than Polota-Nau and Kitchener, but with fewer carries.

Kalamafoni doing a lot better than he's given credit for in the carrying stakes (53m in 10 carries). Possibly because of the number of times he got turned over at the end of those carries....
TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerS2 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:46 pm Yes I can never be one of those happy clappers/sheep/seals who carry on as if nothing is happening. It's just not me,I couldn't lie to myself. I'm sorry of that offends anyone.
Me neither...
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Roberts crawled after the tackle was made and released. The tackle was not broken nor did he release the ball and get back to his feet before playing it. No try and penalty to Leicester.

The other was a clear knock on therefore no try -> scrum to Leicester. If the knock on was as a consequence of a Leicester player holding on illegally then two other options come into play- either a penalty to Bath or a penalty Try to Bath if the holding on was done to prevent a try from being scored. Allowing play to continue and award a try to Bath is not an option unless the ref felt the ball had gone back from a Leicester hand rather than forward from a Bath hand. However the ref stated that it was a knock on.

Schoolboy errors by the officials.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

mol2 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:48 am Roberts crawled after the tackle was made and released. The tackle was not broken nor did he release the ball and get back to his feet before playing it. No try and penalty to Leicester.

The other was a clear knock on therefore no try -> scrum to Leicester. If the knock on was as a consequence of a Leicester player holding on illegally then two other options come into play- either a penalty to Bath or a penalty Try to Bath if the holding on was done to prevent a try from being scored. Allowing play to continue and award a try to Bath is not an option unless the ref felt the ball had gone back from a Leicester hand rather than forward from a Bath hand. However the ref stated that it was a knock on.

Schoolboy errors by the officials.
Think it's time to close the book on this. As pointed out on the unnoffy, we failed to clear our lines or build any phases so shipping some points became inevitable. Generally the D was good. We need to put all the components of our game together. We can't be relying on officials to get everything bang on.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

.........but we should be. The TMO was brought in to stop howlers. It ain't working. Now it's the forwards who decide who wins the game and the ref by how many. (Someone else's line......but I'll steal with pride.)
Professional refs for a professional era.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Quite! Poor decisions but Bath thoroughly deserved their victory,like I said I'm happy with the LBP to keep ticking over. Tomorrow is a must win though! Both Wuss and Newcastle will win imo and Bristol or Sale might even spring a surprise!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Big Dai wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:42 am .........but we should be. The TMO was brought in to stop howlers. It ain't working. Now it's the forwards who decide who wins the game and the ref by how many. (Someone else's line......but I'll steal with pride.)
Where they howlers though? If you read around what non-Tigers and non-Bath fans are saying there are differing opinions. An howler would be where the on field decision is clearly wrong. The TMO is also used to allow the ref to see things he was unsighted on. Neither of which seem to apply here.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

ourla wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:57 am
Big Dai wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:42 am .........but we should be. The TMO was brought in to stop howlers. It ain't working. Now it's the forwards who decide who wins the game and the ref by how many. (Someone else's line......but I'll steal with pride.)
Where they howlers though? If you read around what non-Tigers and non-Bath fans are saying there are differing opinions. An howler would be where the on field decision is clearly wrong. The TMO is also used to allow the ref to see things he was unsighted on. Neither of which seem to apply here.
Knock on? Double movement? Simple non application of the laws of the game. QED Howler. IMHO, etc etc.

You can add offsides, forward passes, squint put ins and throw ins, hookers feet on the pitch. The game seems determined to ruin itself. I will admit Bath were the better side but if they can't execute within the laws of the game then they should not get the points.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Big Dai wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:43 pm Knock on?
Worth holding on illegally?
Big Dai wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:43 pmDouble movement?
Not held?
Big Dai wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:43 pmSimple non application of the laws of the game.
Simple disagreement over whether the laws have been infringed?
Big Dai wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:43 pmYou can add offsides, forward passes, squint put ins and throw ins, hookers feet on the pitch.
You can. Many decisions are debatable
Big Dai wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:43 pmThe game seems determined to ruin itself.
Exaggerrating?
Big Dai wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:43 pmI will admit Bath were the better side
Hurts, doesn't it :smt002 :smt003
Big Dai wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:43 pmbut if they can't execute within the laws of the game then they should not get the points.
Do you mean your interpretation of them?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Roberts was held, if Worth did cause the knock-on then it should have been a Bath penalty but the try shouldn’t have stood. Regardless, Bath went off their feet counter-rucking, that was more obvious than the knock-on.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

My god, are we discussing that game, we lost, move on, decisions even themselves up throughout the season.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Stop Thief! :smt075
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.