Bath next week ....

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Bath next week ....

Post by strawclearer »

Just for a different 'take' on things, this tweet from Bath's Kit man...

"Total respect for Manu Tuilagi today. Last man left in @LeicesterTigers dressing room today, swept it clean and placed all rubbish in the bins. Even congratulated @bathrugby on our win! #unseenhero"

The accompanying pic shows Manu clearing up. Good for him!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

I do crazy stuff when I'm fed up too!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Shame he didn't clean up on the pitch......

I'm joking, I'm joking! :smt003
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:53 pm All I ask is for progress and improvement and in spirit, attitude, desire and defence it was there to see.

Issues with line out, attack and kick chase are also there for all to see but 2-3 weeks ago we would have got smashed on the scoreboard with the amount of defending and effort we had to put in.

If people think any Head Coach or DoR can wave a magic wand and make us brilliant then they are forever going to be disappointed because it’s a huge task to right the wrongs that have occurred over many years.

Not perfect, was always unlikely to be so, but there are improvements in key areas.

If we can get some consistency in the basics, we’ll be there or thereabouts around 4-6th at the end of the season and building for the future which is what I think is needed at the moment after a long period of decline
Leave the forum at once!! This post is far too reasoned and sensible and has no place on here :smt003

Joking aside I cannot help but agree with you DD :smt023
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

BFG wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:24 pm
ellis9 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:13 pm
BFG wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:00 pm

I thought that was a try, if players are going to chop tackle then it's fair enough that attackers will try and step over it, otherwise we will be seeing more broken legs!
So even though there's a law stating you cannot jump into tackles or over players to avoid a tackle, you thought it was ok

If they want players to tackle low, people jumping over tacklers need to be punished.
I don't particularly like the chop tackle.
The simple fact is that if players are going to dive head first only a couple of inches above the floor then it's to be expected that it's a natural reaction that stepping over the tackler to avoid the tackle will happen, so if the chop tackler doesn't use his arms properly to grab (misses) and relies on the force to bring the ball carrier down then it's his own fault if he gets stepped over by the ball carrier.
You may disagree and that's your prerogative, but for me I think this chop tackling will eventually end someone's career with a very serious (high profile) injury!
Lowe had both feet off the ground, a pretty good definition of a jump rather than a step! I have seen a really nasty facial injury from exactly the same position. Jumping over, or for that matter into, the tackle is dangerous play.

You might not like the chop (neither do I, particularly if I have to watch one of my own execute it!), but provided it involves a wrap then, at present, it is legal? It's also been part of the pro and pro-am game for years, so if the data showed significant injury risk surely it would be apparent by now?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

kend wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:41 pm

So even though there's a law stating you cannot jump into tackles or over players to avoid a tackle, you thought it was ok

If they want players to tackle low, people jumping over tacklers need to be punished.
The simple fact is that if players are going to dive head first only a couple of inches above the floor then it's to be expected that it's a natural reaction that stepping over the tackler to avoid the tackle will happen, so if the chop tackler doesn't use his arms properly to grab (misses) and relies on the force to bring the ball carrier down then it's his own fault if he gets stepped over by the ball carrier.
You may disagree and that's your prerogative, but for me I think this chop tackling will eventually end someone's career with a very serious (high profile) injury!
Lowe had both feet off the ground, a pretty good definition of a jump rather than a step! I have seen a really nasty facial injury from exactly the same position. Jumping over, or for that matter into, the tackle is dangerous play.

You might not like the chop (neither do I, particularly if I have to watch one of my own execute it!), but provided it involves a wrap then, at present, it is legal? It's also been part of the pro and pro-am game for years, so if the data showed significant injury risk surely it would be apparent by now?
I thought Louw took off over the tackle with one foot still planted.
No doubt that Louw takes off over the tackle, but at the same time if the tackler missed with the arm wrap then it's play on in my opinion, otherwise tacklers may as well just dive straight at legs and if the carrier runs/steps/leaps/jumps over the top then it'd be penalised in any instance all over the pitch.
We could end up with players just diving under ball carriers and it'd be an instant infringement to go over the "attempted" but incomplete tackle.
I've seen a broken neck at a lower level.
The chop is becoming more prevalent and coaches are coaching it more now, like diving low off feet in the ruck, and I think we will see a rise in chop tackle related incidents in matches in the future, but we shall see!
Last edited by BFG on Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Bit of a disappointing visit to the Rec today. Performance was neither as good as I was hoping nor as bad as I fearing. Too many errors from Tigers at critical points in the game including several missed cover tackles. I did think there was a bit of a double movement on one of Bath’s tries which was v close to where I was sitting. Not sure I agree with the criticisms of Ben Youngs and our scrum in this forum...
On a more positive note, the Bath supporters were very friendly with lots of good natured banter as the game progressed - several were seriously impressed by Ellis...
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

"I thought Louw took off over the tackle with one foot still planted."

Have you ever seen the 110m hurdles? That's how you jump over something/someone when you're running. You take off using one foot.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:25 pm Just for a different 'take' on things, this tweet from Bath's Kit man...

"Total respect for Manu Tuilagi today. Last man left in @LeicesterTigers dressing room today, swept it clean and placed all rubbish in the bins. Even congratulated @bathrugby on our win! #unseenhero"

The accompanying pic shows Manu clearing up. Good for him!
Disgraceful think of all the poor cleaning staff that would be out of work if every player did this :smt003
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:53 pm

"I thought Louw took off over the tackle with one foot still planted."

Have you ever seen the 110m hurdles? That's how you jump over something/someone when you're running. You take off using one foot.
Yes precisely, rugby is a game of evasion, if players can't tackle properly then that's their problem!
If the tackler wraps his man with his arms then it's not an issue, but he didn't because he missed, and then Louw stepped over the diving tackler, play on and a try in my opinion, and the commentators also thought that so I'm in decent company!
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Watched the match with my son at the Rec yesterday who lives and works in Bath, he was showing me the design of the proposed stadium that Bath want to build and I must say it looks pretty impressive, the atmosphere there yesterday was brilliant and if they manage to build the stadium and get the full 18.000 capacity it's going to be an iconic place to watch rugby.
I know lots on here will say it's smaller than are ground etc etc etc but you've got to give Bruce Craig credit if he manages to get the stadium built.
What a great place Bath is to live and visit also be able to watch rugby in the city centre.
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:39 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:53 pm All I ask is for progress and improvement and in spirit, attitude, desire and defence it was there to see.

Issues with line out, attack and kick chase are also there for all to see but 2-3 weeks ago we would have got smashed on the scoreboard with the amount of defending and effort we had to put in.

If people think any Head Coach or DoR can wave a magic wand and make us brilliant then they are forever going to be disappointed because it’s a huge task to right the wrongs that have occurred over many years.

Not perfect, was always unlikely to be so, but there are improvements in key areas.

If we can get some consistency in the basics, we’ll be there or thereabouts around 4-6th at the end of the season and building for the future which is what I think is needed at the moment after a long period of decline
Leave the forum at once!! This post is far too reasoned and sensible and has no place on here :smt003

Joking aside I cannot help but agree with you DD :smt023

100% correct. The change in attitude is fantastic. Shame it had to go so low beforehand but C'est la vie.
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

G.K wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:45 pm
MikeR wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:59 pm Some of the forwards (bar the front row) are not good enough at this level . Kalamofoni and Fitzgerald just make too many basic errors and the incompetence of the lineout beggars belief . As our marquee player you would expect that Toomua would have more influence on the game but is merely a spectator . As for Ben Youngs - has so much talent yet is slow and indecisive - he always seems to be outplayed by his opposite number these days . Defence is better , I think Kerr will make the grade , and another good game from GF - not much else could be called positive .
Yes that's about it.
Toomua has already left. May as well let him do Manu's job; sweep the dressing room. Huge shame about Denton and Thomson. Would have made a difference.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Final match stats.

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/matchstats? ... gue=267979

39 missed tackles, Genge missed 5, Wells 5, Fitzpatrick 4 worst offenders.

Lack of ball carrying by forwards very clear.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Surprised at Genge missing 5 tackles, he is usually a pretty sound tackler, I bet he gets a lot of the mickey taking at training this week after being handed off by a winger.