Bath next week ....

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: Bath next week ....

Post by Tigerbeat »

Tigers have made Geordan head coach and are offering him the resources that he needs.....younger players are being given opportunities and this is not going to turn around overnight.....it is better than it was at the start of the season.....defence getting better and a defence coach on his way....small steps and allow Geordan to have his own players.....my be painful at the moment.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

He’s been poor for a long time! A shadow of the player he was! Here's a tip ,Ford's best ever AP season was with Stringer ,you know a SH who gets the ball too him quickly not after the defence has had 5/6 seconds to realign!!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think tactically the coaches have to have a really hard look at themselves, perhaps some of the kicks were justifiable, but we needed possession and the chance to exert pressure, but hey-ho let’s just give Bath even more possession because that’s really what the Tigers Tight 5 want.
Last edited by JP14 on Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:48 pm Tigers have made Geordan head coach and are offering him the resources that he needs.....younger players are being given opportunities and this is not going to turn around overnight.....it is better than it was at the start of the season.....defence getting better and a defence coach on his way....small steps and allow Geordan to have his own players.....my be painful at the moment.

Its been "painful" for the last 5 seasons and its getting unbearable. No sign for me that the patient makes it out of intensive care anytime soon.
Last edited by sapajo on Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:47 pm
ellis9 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:45 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:43 pm

Why? Tell me on what boundaries should Ben Youngs be anywhere near the starting XV at the moment.
He's our best scrum half and is the best at mixing it up. He's experienced and has a great relationship with Ford.

Also, he is nowhere near the low standard that people say he is on here.
I know Ford and Youngs are “besties” but I’m sure Ford can cope without him, he seemed to do fine in France!
Of course he can but that isn't the only reason I gave as to why Youngs should play.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

On a positive note, Tuilagi has been in rich form recently, scoring tries galore but that defensive intervention is what will catch Eddie Jones’ eye. That’s a demonstration of how much he loves his club!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:52 pm
ellis9 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:45 pm

He's our best scrum half and is the best at mixing it up. He's experienced and has a great relationship with Ford.

Also, he is nowhere near the low standard that people say he is on here.
I know Ford and Youngs are “besties” but I’m sure Ford can cope without him, he seemed to do fine in France!
Of course he can but that isn't the only reason I gave as to why Youngs should play.
No way is he our best scrum half, has consistently been it since 2013 and his play is so one-dimensional. Mixing it up? I saw no compelling evidence of that today, he took two quick taps I believe but they were so obvious and laboured we had lost the element of surprise as soon as Ben’s foot touched the ball.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:43 pm
anz3001 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:41 pm Heard all this :censored: last year and we finished 5, narrowly missing the playoffs.

It’s not great but support, where is the support? I can’t understand the tireless condemnation from supposed supporters.

We didn’t really got in to the game today but put a huge defensive effort in, an area we’ve struggled in of late, that’s a positive. A LBP is something. We’re 4 points behind 4th, positive.

Or, let’s just ‘support’ our team by envisaging every worst case scenario.
There's not many people who can see positives unfortunately.
When a side plays 'hang on' rugby for 77 minutes there are no positives! A huge defensive effort - yes against an under performing Bath side!! Nothing positive to be taken from the Tigers performance at all!! The inability to turn the pressure around shows the lack of ideas not a lack of effort!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:54 pm
ellis9 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:52 pm
No way is he our best scrum half, has consistently been it since 2013 and his play is so one-dimensional. Mixing it up? I saw no compelling evidence of that today, he took two quick taps I believe but they were so obvious and laboured we had lost the element of surprise as soon as Ben’s foot touched the ball.
Yes. He is.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

The forum is being over run by footy fans!
That was a gutsy performance today given the circumstances. Part of the rebuilding process.. a great defensive effort.........we've been moaning about poor defence for how long, the boys put a shift in against a top notch back row and still we moan.

I'm going to have a lie down in a dark room before I get very angry......Bill, where are you mate!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

TigerCam wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:55 pm
ellis9 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:43 pm
anz3001 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:41 pm Heard all this :censored: last year and we finished 5, narrowly missing the playoffs.

It’s not great but support, where is the support? I can’t understand the tireless condemnation from supposed supporters.

We didn’t really got in to the game today but put a huge defensive effort in, an area we’ve struggled in of late, that’s a positive. A LBP is something. We’re 4 points behind 4th, positive.

Or, let’s just ‘support’ our team by envisaging every worst case scenario.
There's not many people who can see positives unfortunately.
When a side plays 'hang on' rugby for 77 minutes there are no positives! A huge defensive effort - yes against an under performing Bath side!! Nothing positive to be taken from the Tigers performance at all!! The inability to turn the pressure around shows the lack of ideas not a lack of effort!!
No positives? So you wouldn't say well done on our defence and our effort? Wow!
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Some of the forwards (bar the front row) are not good enough at this level . Kalamofoni and Fitzgerald just make too many basic errors and the incompetence of the lineout beggars belief . As our marquee player you would expect that Toomua would have more influence on the game but is merely a spectator . As for Ben Youngs - has so much talent yet is slow and indecisive - he always seems to be outplayed by his opposite number these days . Defence is better , I think Kerr will make the grade , and another good game from GF - not much else could be called positive .
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

The Youngs debate just goes to show the point I have made on another post.
He can only give quick ball if the forwards produce it for him, part of his job is to protect his 10 and not ship bad ball.
Until we have an 8 capable of producing quick clean ball you have the great Gareth Edwards at 9 and it wouldn’t make a blind bit of difference
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Oh the irony ! Defence coach with fresh ideas no doubt about to be announced.......But our defence on the whole today was committed and organised. A bit more composure in attack and we could easily have won that. This is what has happened to Gloucester, Sale, Bath etc for the last few years. Confidence is low, you’re under pressure and that’s when mistakes get made and decisions go against you. Next week is a must win again, to stop Gloucester extending their points difference over us.
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:56 pm The forum is being over run by footy fans!
That was a gutsy performance today given the circumstances. Part of the rebuilding process.. a great defensive effort.........we've been moaning about poor defence for how long, the boys put a shift in against a top notch back row and still we moan.

I'm going to have a lie down in a dark room before I get very angry......Bill, where are you mate!
Agreed, it was a much improved defensive effort. It looks as though they want to play for Geordan. The issue was the same as in other recent matches against Bath, we can’t match their back row.