ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Bath next week ....

Post by ellis9 »

BFG wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:25 am
ellis9 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:53 pm
kend wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:41 pm
Lowe had both feet off the ground, a pretty good definition of a jump rather than a step! I have seen a really nasty facial injury from exactly the same position. Jumping over, or for that matter into, the tackle is dangerous play.

You might not like the chop (neither do I, particularly if I have to watch one of my own execute it!), but provided it involves a wrap then, at present, it is legal? It's also been part of the pro and pro-am game for years, so if the data showed significant injury risk surely it would be apparent by now?
"I thought Louw took off over the tackle with one foot still planted."

Have you ever seen the 110m hurdles? That's how you jump over something/someone when you're running. You take off using one foot.
Yes precisely, rugby is a game of evasion, if players can't tackle properly then that's their problem!
If the tackler wraps his man with his arms then it's not an issue, but he didn't because he missed, and then Louw stepped over the diving tackler, play on and a try in my opinion, and the commentators also thought that so I'm in decent company!
You can't tackle a player who has jumped over you.

I don't care if the commentators share the same opinion as you. They're wrong too.

You cannot jump to avoid a tackle.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Clear knock on in the build up to Baths second try.

https://sport.bt.com/video/highlights-b ... 4321731086
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Ok disappointing not to get a win but could have been worse. Defending was mostly aggressive and resolute preventing Bath gaining a TBP and we managed to gain a LBP leaving us 9th. Hopefully a win at the weekend.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

tigerssteve wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:40 am
G.K wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:45 pm
MikeR wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:59 pm Some of the forwards (bar the front row) are not good enough at this level . Kalamofoni and Fitzgerald just make too many basic errors and the incompetence of the lineout beggars belief . As our marquee player you would expect that Toomua would have more influence on the game but is merely a spectator . As for Ben Youngs - has so much talent yet is slow and indecisive - he always seems to be outplayed by his opposite number these days . Defence is better , I think Kerr will make the grade , and another good game from GF - not much else could be called positive .
Yes that's about it.
Toomua has already left. May as well let him do Manu's job; sweep the dressing room. Huge shame about Denton and Thomson. Would have made a difference.
Toomua is reminding me a little of Stimpson, whose head went to Perpignan about two months before his body.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:30 am
BFG wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:25 am
ellis9 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:53 pm

"I thought Louw took off over the tackle with one foot still planted."

Have you ever seen the 110m hurdles? That's how you jump over something/someone when you're running. You take off using one foot.
Yes precisely, rugby is a game of evasion, if players can't tackle properly then that's their problem!
If the tackler wraps his man with his arms then it's not an issue, but he didn't because he missed, and then Louw stepped over the diving tackler, play on and a try in my opinion, and the commentators also thought that so I'm in decent company!
You can't tackle a player who has jumped over you.

I don't care if the commentators share the same opinion as you. They're wrong too.

You cannot jump to avoid a tackle.
Did make me chuckle when they mentioned it was a no arms tackle on the TV. I’m like how’s he supposed to have wrapped his arms around thin air. It was a clear jump.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

drc_007 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:54 am Final match stats.

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/matchstats? ... gue=267979

39 missed tackles, Genge missed 5, Wells 5, Fitzpatrick 4 worst offenders.

Lack of ball carrying by forwards very clear.
Depends on how and where the tackles were missed. If you hit someone and drive them back as part of a two man tackle but release before the other man takes them to floor does that count as a missed tackle because you haven't completed it?

Wells made 15 and Fitzgerald a hat full as well. Throwing themselves at everything. Genge did make way earlier than I expected, maybe he was tiring and slipping off tackles. As a team we were generally still a big high going into contact, Vuna managed to bounce through a few tackles towards the end as we tired and went high.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Thought Genge went early because he had had a difficult time in the scrum and was well matched by Thomas if not bettered sometimes, not one of his best games.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BigDan50 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:33 am Thought Genge went early because he had had a difficult time in the scrum and was well matched by Thomas if not bettered sometimes, not one of his best games.
I think Genge had Thomas where he wanted him and was getting increasingly frustrated by the lack of reward he was getting from Doyle.
It was mentioned in commentary that Doyle doesn’t enjoy reffing scrums and that showed yesterday
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

100% agree with Ellis! Can't jump over a tackle,never a try! Roberts wasn't either,it was a blatantly completed tackle and the other try was a knock on too in the leadup! Still Bath deserved the win though
Last edited by Scott1 on Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:46 am
BigDan50 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:33 am Thought Genge went early because he had had a difficult time in the scrum and was well matched by Thomas if not bettered sometimes, not one of his best games.
I think Genge had Thomas where he wanted him and was getting increasingly frustrated by the lack of reward he was getting from Doyle.
It was mentioned in commentary that Doyle doesn’t enjoy reffing scrums and that showed yesterday
JP doesn't like scums because he doesn't understand what's happening / what players are doing. And before anyone says this is just ref bashing it isn't. I have it on good authority from someone who is working his way through the refereeing grades and is invited to and has attended "elite" referee meetings. He is an ex-prop who could prop both sides. JP and a number of other premiership referees admitted they have little or no knowledge of what is going on in the scrum. Some even said that they "guess" or once the ball is in give the decision to the side that appears to be going forward.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Just can't believe that a premier referee would say to a up an coming ref that they guess at scrumtime.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I'm still sticking with my thoughts on BY though,he's gone stale now sadly. What i wouldn't give for a Faf,or a Reinhach,or a Houghard,or even Chudley. You're 9s gotta have snap ,be excitable etc. He just looks like he's going through the motions to me. Would he smash it at his new club if he left? Most probably,that's why he should go imo,for us and himself. This isn't a windup either,it's my genuine thoughts. It would be best all round I feel...
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

BigDan50 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:26 am Just can't believe that a premier referee would say to a up an coming ref that they guess at scrumtime.
Believe me it happened. My informant is trustworthy.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:02 pm
BigDan50 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:26 am Just can't believe that a premier referee would say to a up an coming ref that they guess at scrumtime.
Believe me it happened. My informant is trustworthy.
I’m guessing Nick Wood
Louis

Post by Louis »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:56 pm The forum is being over run by footy fans!
That was a gutsy performance today given the circumstances. Part of the rebuilding process.. a great defensive effort.........we've been moaning about poor defence for how long, the boys put a shift in against a top notch back row and still we moan.

I'm going to have a lie down in a dark room before I get very angry......Bill, where are you mate!
This.

Fixing the decline takes time. Dare I (an evangelical atheist) suggest we keep the faith somewhat?