Bath next week ....

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Bath next week ....

Post by JP14 »

Fitzgerald has played well at 6 but Bath will more than likely field a backrow of Tom Ellis, Underhill and Louw at 8. We need to field two breakdown operators to counteract their threat.

On reflection I can’t remember why I didn’t bench Fitzgerald so I’ll change it now.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If Spencer's out I'd be tempted to start Fitzy if Williams is locking.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

We could start a backrow of Fitz, O’Connor and Thompson as I think Kalamafoni left the field in the 79th minute for a head knock as he was replaced by Genge.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Fitz is a 2nd row who can play 6, he only played 6 in NZ due to injuries (& got found out on defense of scrums in Super Rugby more than once.)
If Spencer out then Wells not Kitch to 5.
I would be tempted by Thompson at 8, BOC 7.
Backs if fit pick themselves. Is Eastmond back this week?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:11 am Fitz is a 2nd row who can play 6, he only played 6 in NZ due to injuries (& got found out on defense of scrums in Super Rugby more than once.)
If Spencer out then Wells not Kitch to 5.
I would be tempted by Thompson at 8, BOC 7.
Backs if fit pick themselves. Is Eastmond back this week?
Next week is the last fixture of his ban, so no.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I am aware of that but regardless of NZ Fitzy has performed far better for us at blindside than lock and that's all that interests me at present.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

I understand the suggestion that we need 2 breakdown operators against Bath but neither BOC not Guy Thompson seem capable of playing 80 minutes, so I imagine it will be one or the other to start, unless Evans is paired with one. In fact, we seem to have a number of forwards with questions over fitness levels, good players all but rarely able to complete a game (i.e. Williams, BOC, Spencer, Thompson, Denton).
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Hinckley Bob wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:53 pm I understand the suggestion that we need 2 breakdown operators against Bath but neither BOC not Guy Thompson seem capable of playing 80 minutes, so I imagine it will be one or the other to start, unless Evans is paired with one. In fact, we seem to have a number of forwards with questions over fitness levels, good players all but rarely able to complete a game (i.e. Williams, BOC, Spencer, Thompson, Denton).
Not entirely sure that they are not able to complete 80 mins, surely its giving another player of equal ability game time, so they are changed with 15 mins or so to go to keep the other player interested or blood a youngster?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Oh no! JPD with the whistle and Pearce running the line,double whammy!
wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wardy »

And Terheege as TMO. It's a conspiracy I tell you. :smt022
Give blood, play rugby!!
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

LE18 wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:02 pm
Hinckley Bob wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:53 pm I understand the suggestion that we need 2 breakdown operators against Bath but neither BOC not Guy Thompson seem capable of playing 80 minutes, so I imagine it will be one or the other to start, unless Evans is paired with one. In fact, we seem to have a number of forwards with questions over fitness levels, good players all but rarely able to complete a game (i.e. Williams, BOC, Spencer, Thompson, Denton).
Not entirely sure that they are not able to complete 80 mins, surely its giving another player of equal ability game time, so they are changed with 15 mins or so to go to keep the other player interested or blood a youngster?
Perhaps it's because they have given everything but they are usually limping off.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:16 pm Oh no! JPD with the whistle and Pearce running the line,double whammy!
But if Bath don't have a front row at the moment, and JPD if reffing, we play territory and win in multiples of three following each scrum.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Thomas is a poor TH (at scrumtime) but dont sleep on Catt,tore JCW a new one in the Wasps game. Hes a very good scrummager!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Thomas is better than he used to be, but yes Cole will have his work cut out with Catt.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Our front row will have to scrummage well as their back five is far better than ours.