Murphy appointed head coach

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Murphy appointed head coach

Post by wellstiger »

Are we seriously talking OPEN AND TRANSPARENT.

I'd be totally surprised if GM is given free reign and would eat my Tigers shirt if the case was proved.
Now lets get open and transparent regarding shortlist for his coaching team.
Cause Quins and Bath are coming up fast. :smt013 :smt013
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:07 pm Agree with what Goode has written - but is Ford really on more than Williams and Burns together? Surely not! Maybe he means what they were on at Tigers, which probably wouldn't have been enough to keep them.

The idea of having committees to run this sort of business is ridiculous, and strikes me as the BoD playing at governance and self importance rather than allowing the experts they employ to have a firm grip on the operations, as is typical of out-dated organisations like the RFU and FA.
Goode always does that, he mixes up Ford's wage to what Bath was wanting to release him.
Ford is on about 25K more than Williams.
Now Ford with his England payments is prob on what both Burns and Williams are on together but we don't pay anything for England.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Hirings and firings amongst the playing and coaching staff has to be Smurph's decision. We've had the gnu of a committee which is why we are where we are. Only room for one captain now if we are going to pull ourselves up the table.
I'm not cynical just experienced
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

DingDong wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:15 am
JP14 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:58 am 3 words as to why we will do well under him...

Anglo-Welsh Cup 2017
So, after many years as an integral coach at Tigers, what has Murphy added to the squad in your view?
Skills? Attack? Defence? Team morale? Continuity? Tigers spirit? Recruitment? Development of prospects? all of which btw have been in steep decline for so many years.

Murphy is our head coach now so despite the dodgy form, i'll back him as i'd back a dodgy skipper when i'm playing, that's club rugby and it is his only saving grace.
Well if you read player interviews, they’re all full of praise, Murphy has certainly backed the young players and given them the confidence to play for the 1st team.

He was assistant/skills coach for a while but what if he was limited by what he could teach the players? Or he was simply in the wrong job, Steve Hansen would probably be an awful skills coach, for example.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

There is a lot of support for coaches who have had no previous association with Tigers and also a lot for it not being a team or having a pack mentality. Well by giving Geordan the job he should at least be able to remind the players what it means to play for Tigers.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:07 pm Agree with what Goode has written - but is Ford really on more than Williams and Burns together? Surely not! Maybe he means what they were on at Tigers, which probably wouldn't have been enough to keep them.

The idea of having committees to run this sort of business is ridiculous, and strikes me as the BoD playing at governance and self importance rather than allowing the experts they employ to have a firm grip on the operations, as is typical of out-dated organisations like the RFU and FA.
I think Goode means Ford is on what Burns and Williams put together were on at Tigers, not what they are both on now.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Some interesting comments here https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... er-passion
‘Keeping the faith’ is becoming harder...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

So what do people think about Phil Blake?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Ford is on 25k more than OW? Really? Is OW on 400-425k at Gloc then?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:10 pm Ford is on 25k more than OW? Really? Is OW on 400-425k at Gloc then?!
yes, 400
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:08 pm So what do people think about Phil Blake?
Took him half a season to implement anything and then sacked for Maugers mate. Didn't he get banned for betting, and then struggle at Wasps.

Would be very Tigers-like to bring him back.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:10 pm Ford is on 25k more than OW? Really? Is OW on 400-425k at Gloc then?!
Yeah. People have been mentioning this for ages. Pretty much every time people moan at Tigers for "letting Williams go" it's mentioned that we couldn't compete with £400k that Gloucester offered him.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:12 pm
yes, 400
OW 400k pa is a unconfirmed rumour.
I recall Ford was reported to have signed a 450k pa deal, but also seem to recall that there was a reported 500k transfer fee.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:08 pm So what do people think about Phil Blake?
Does it matter? It's happening anyway! :smt023
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Depends whose decision it would be. If it's Murphs then fair enough, if it's a committee apointment then nah.