Murphy appointed head coach

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Murphy appointed head coach

Post by Coleshillad »

The opportunity was there for a clean sweep..........a new broom. A sort out. Onwards and upwards. It's been missed. I mean no disrespect to GM, but it's not his time. I'm sure he has what it takes, but not at this moment. Too little, and the next few results will decide whether it's too late. Same old.....same old? With the form we've seen so far, I can imagine a few Premiership coaches, at the foot of the table, smiling quietly to themselves. And, I'm usually the eternal optimist.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Now that Murphy has been appointed head coach, I hope he has the balls to rein in the senior players/cartel and the two ex players on the board.
Time for him to show everyone he is in charge of the tactics and playing style.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

The last time we won anything IIRC, albeit the Mickey Mouse, GM was acting head coach. That must mean "something". He has my full backing.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

JWM wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:50 pm Geordan Myrphy’s appointment is good news imho ... with five caveats.

4. A significant review of Tigers’ management structure, along the lines suggested by Austin a couple of weeks ago.

If the BoD has to keep sacking DoR/HC then the more fundamental problem is with those who make the appointments.

5. A thorough review of playing staff, needs, and succession policy.
I would suggest BoD were due a sacking 3 years or more ago. The team doesnt look like it would follow anyone to the ends of the earth and has had enough coaches to change that. One constant during all that time BoD.
I'm not cynical just experienced
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:57 pm Interesting theory,or it could be Mike Ford coming as defence coach and Murphy wanted the Head Coach job nailed down?!
+1
:smt049
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Now the proof of the pudding-

No speculation about a coach.
A team that is good on paper and should set the prem alight -
Supporters/fan base - the best in Europe.

Missing a quality defensive coach who is possibly in the wings waiting to be confirmed pre christmas.

Then we will have to see, post christmas where we are. I am keeping the faith - we cant be all bad all the time.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

3 words as to why we will do well under him...

Anglo-Welsh Cup 2017
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

But he needs time and patience from the club and the fans, look at Saracens this time last yesr, they were awful until post-March and hasn’t lost since!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

BigDan50 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:11 am Now that Murphy has been appointed head coach, I hope he has the balls to rein in the senior players/cartel and the two ex players on the board.
Time for him to show everyone he is in charge of the tactics and playing style.
Good luck reigning in the lip but totally agree!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Well, assuming confirmation of the head coach has some kind of immediate positive impact on the pitch, first chance I get to see this in person will be against Bath...once upon a time a top of the table clash...
Hopefully the ‘new regime’ will start with a win this Saturday.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

JP14 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:58 am 3 words as to why we will do well under him...

Anglo-Welsh Cup 2017
Come on now, the final of that tournament was played at the Stoop with less than 7,000 people watching and 12 of the match day 23 have left the club, let's not pretend it means anything.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

JP14 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:58 am 3 words as to why we will do well under him...

Anglo-Welsh Cup 2017
So, after many years as an integral coach at Tigers, what has Murphy added to the squad in your view?
Skills? Attack? Defence? Team morale? Continuity? Tigers spirit? Recruitment? Development of prospects? all of which btw have been in steep decline for so many years.

Murphy is our head coach now so despite the dodgy form, i'll back him as i'd back a dodgy skipper when i'm playing, that's club rugby and it is his only saving grace.
newport tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by newport tiger »

Its quite ironic that on the day Manchester Utd(often referred to as "The Leicester Tigers of football") sack their manager/coach for having their worst run of results in a premier league season, our BOD decide to promote the coach for the same results.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

newport tiger wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:25 am Its quite ironic that on the day Manchester Utd(often referred to as "The Leicester Tigers of football") sack their manager/coach for having their worst run of results in a premier league season, our BOD decide to promote the coach for the same results.
Neither club has got it right with their recent appointments. Now they've somewhat diverged it will be interesting to see who is in a better place in 12 months time.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

DoR/ Head of Rugby Operations Mike Ford
Head Coach Geordan Murphy
Defence Coach Dave Ellis
Forwards Coach Mark Bakewell
Scrum Coach Boris Stankovich
Senior Development Coach Brett Deacon
Academy Coach Anthony Allen

If that lot doesn't sort out our problems then we are in serious DOOOOOOO DOOOOOOO

we would not need GG then
Hehehehehehehehe