Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Murphy appointed head coach

Post by RagingBull »

On the fence about Blake.
Did well with us on the whole really the only reason we got to the semi final's was because of our defence as we scored sweet nothing in terms of tries that season.
Wasps well Dai Young decided to go all out attack the season Blake arrived, in fact the 2016/17 season in which they went to the final they went from conceding only 26 tries in the first 11 games of that season (2 tries a game average) to 35 tries in the second half (around 3 tries per game) Wasps reverted back to the tighter game for the Semi final and Final game.
That being said 61 and 57 are hardly rock solid defence.

But who else is about?
Dave Ellis out of the top flight for 4 years
Brad Davis Ospreys conceded 60 tries last season,
Mike Ford?

Nothing's confirmed though.

Even after world cup all the big name defence coaches like Farrell, Edwards, all have jobs lined up already.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Hope I’m wrong but I just feel this is a big mistake
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

I've calmed down a bit now.

In his first season at Wasps they had the best tackling percentage in the league. If Smurf believes that's the only problem with the defense, the individual tacking, then that would explain why hes getting the gig.

It also, from the sounds of it, appears to be his decision in which case, fine.

I just have this horrible feeling it's all going to go up in flames.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

If you take the optimistic and positive view then the fact that Geordan knows Phil Blake, the way he works and the type of guy he is would make this a good appointment. I don't think he did too much wrong from a coaching perspective when he was here before.

Geordan obviously thinks he will fit in well with the coaching team assuming he has been allowed to make his own decision and the rumour of Blake returning is true.
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

The only major positive with Blake is that, by all reports, it was GMs choice. Gets who he wants, no BoD push back.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Have I missed something, where has the Blake rumour surfaced from?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:59 pm Blake was replaced when Mauger brought in his own defence coach (Scott Hansen). Whilst he was here his work was good and the betting emerged affter he was known to be leaving.
Lets give the guy a chance along with the rest of the coaching staff.......we need to lift the performances somehow.
No he left after getting a ban for breaching betting rules.

He was good when he was here. I remember him getting the credit for organising our victory over Wasps when playing about an hour with 14 men. Great defence that day.
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

JP14 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:24 pm
DingDong wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:15 am
JP14 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:58 am 3 words as to why we will do well under him...

Anglo-Welsh Cup 2017
So, after many years as an integral coach at Tigers, what has Murphy added to the squad in your view?
Skills? Attack? Defence? Team morale? Continuity? Tigers spirit? Recruitment? Development of prospects? all of which btw have been in steep decline for so many years.

Murphy is our head coach now so despite the dodgy form, i'll back him as i'd back a dodgy skipper when i'm playing, that's club rugby and it is his only saving grace.
Well if you read player interviews, they’re all full of praise, Murphy has certainly backed the young players and given them the confidence to play for the 1st team.

He was assistant/skills coach for a while but what if he was limited by what he could teach the players? Or he was simply in the wrong job, Steve Hansen would probably be an awful skills coach, for example.

Let's not forget the under 18's. Excellent form there and in a year or so we could have some talent coming through. I know we need help now but that's not going to happen.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Geordan has always struck me as someone who has personal insight; as such I think he would have turned down the permanent position if he didn't think he could do it, or indeed if it was a job that couldn't be done. I doubt he would have let raw ambition cloud his judgement and would have settled back into his skills coach role as a safer option, assuming it still exists.
As Good As It Gets
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Comments from Ben Kay at the start of the Wuss-Saints game last night implied that the decision was made in respect of GM some time ago, but timing of announcement was due to GM. Kay should know!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:08 pm So what do people think about Phil Blake?
It's only taken nearly a month but finally confirmed
https://twitter.com/LeicesterTigers/sta ... 5124253696