Murphy appointed head coach

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Murphy appointed head coach

Post by markharbtiger »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:55 pm ...Is this appointment basically telling us no one of any note is coming after the RWC or are the board just showing they are backing GM by giving him the FT gig?
I suspect the board have done what they could.
Really hoping getting someone in to improve the defence would have been/is no. 1 priority.
Really hoping that no announcement on this does not mean they have no-one lined up... :smt009
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Maybe the intrerviewed have been run past the players and "they" don't want any if them :smt002
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

markharbtiger wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:37 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:33 pm Yes markharb, unbelievably short sighted BOD!
I’d be more convinced by the announcement of a new defence coach whoever that may be.
Well I'd imagine an announcement will be made soon.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Aside from this appointment, what will now constitute a success for GM and the club? 11th in the league? What are the realistic expectations?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

MrPartridge wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:57 pm Aside from this appointment, what will now constitute a success for GM and the club? 11th in the league? What are the realistic expectations?
Honestly a success is Top 6 and still realistic (as is top 4 I guess mathematically but nah).
But would currently take anything but 12th.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

MrPartridge wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:57 pm Aside from this appointment, what will now constitute a success for GM and the club? 11th in the league? What are the realistic expectations?
I think for Tigers, normally, reaching the final is a successful season but in regards to how the season has gone so far, top 4 would be a "success" but top 6 would be acceptable.
However, even if we were to finish anywhere else, Murphy would still have a job as he has a bright future ahead of him.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I am sure some are thinking top half of the table!
I’ll be criticised for this no doubt, but I’ll settle for not being relegated :smt002
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

ellis9 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:00 pm
I think for Tigers, normally, reaching the final is a successful season but in regards to how the season has gone so far, top 4 would be a "success" but top 6 would be acceptable.
However, even if we were to finish anywhere else, Murphy would still have a job as he has a bright future ahead of him.
Even if relegated?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Not trying to be obtuse Ellis but what evidence have you got to point to GM having a bright future taking his tenure as skills coach into consideration? Is it your hope or do you genuinely see something?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I'll take 11th now!!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

drc_007 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:03 pm
ellis9 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:00 pm
Even if relegated?
We won't get relegated but yes, if that was to happen, I'd keep Murphy in charge.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:04 pm Not trying to be obtuse Ellis but what evidence have you got to point to GM having a bright future taking his tenure as skills coach into consideration? Is it your hope or do you genuinely see something?
I don't have evidence but I've read his autobiography which was a great insight into him and his ideas and I've seen many comments from people inside the game who play and have previously played for Tigers and players and former players of other clubs alongside other people in the game.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

You would want to keep someone who got us relegated? With these players? Lions,seasoned Internationals,etc,really? Wow! How low have we got?!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Ellis - I **REALLY** hope you are right.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Not good enough Ellis! He was a great player and many a great player can have great ideas,see for example Will Greenwood. It's a totally different ballgame getting these ideas across and the one thing that scares me is all this talk about emotions and trouble getting up for games coming from players! Even if you're a tactically naive coach or inexperienced you should still be a motivator or man manager and Murphy had shown so far he doesn't have these qualities if his interviews or those of our players are anything to go by!
Last edited by Scott1 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.