Murphy appointed head coach

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: Murphy appointed head coach

Post by G.K »

Rewarding failure? Oh dear. I'm sure we'll do well in the Challenge Cup next year. :smt009
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I don't think this is the right appointment for right now but I sincerely hope I'm totally wrong.

Good luck Geordan. Bring on a defence coach ASAP.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
upandunder
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by upandunder »

Good luck Geordan. Hope this works out well for you and the team. I hope the board will provide additional coaching support ASAP and you also have significant input on player recruitment and retention. Please stand your ground if you don’t like what you see and hear.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Without additional support for Murphy I can't see this working.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Great player...yes.
Good skills coach...no.
Interim head coach....no.
Head coach...no.
If someone isn’t right for the role you bring someone else in. You don’t keep them because you (wrongly) believe that another change would make things worse.
Ashurstwoodtiger

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

Best of luck Georadon in these trying times. Hopefully now the players will get behind you don't worry about anything else just concentrate on "one game at a time" and the Premiership is there for the taking (well maybe)😀
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I agree Westwinds,I really fear for us. Ellis doesn't excite me either,maybe 10 years ago yes. I'd prefer Betts,came from league ok but the best defence coaches have come from there and the defensive systems transfer over nicely. Is this appointment basically telling us no one of any note is coming after the RWC or are the board just showing they are backing GM by giving him the FT gig? I hope it's the latter because we will not become a top dog again until we start afresh.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:55 pm I agree Westwinds,I really fear for us. Ellis doesn't excite me either,maybe 10 years ago yes. I'd prefer Betts,came from league ok but the best defence coaches have come from there and the defensive systems transfer over nicely. Is this appointment basically telling us no one of any note is coming after the RWC or are the board just showing they are backing GM by giving him the FT gig? I hope it's the latter because we will not become a top dog again until we start afresh.
If they were going to bring in someone after the World Cup, they'd just keep Murphy as interim coach until then. He is now the Head Coach of Leicester Tigers.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Well we stay on the merry go round then,I've been right about it since RC left so whys it going to change now? If I see Deacon immediately demoted to the academy and replaced by a very good defence coach I shall slightly start to turn but let's see!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I am delighted by the news, I think Geordan will eventually be a great success as Head Coach, he now has time to shape the squad as he likes just as new contracts are being discussed and a few weeks before we are allowed to speak to players at other clubs who's contracts are nearing an end. I regret Cocker being sacked but this is the start of a new era, it begins against Quins on Saturday.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Heart says let's see another Lazarus act, head says we'll be bottom of the table by the end of the Six Nations.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Good luck to GM. But I don’t see that this will in fact change very much...still got the same personnel. ‘Knowing the club’ seems to be extraordinarily prized. Let’s hope this delivers success.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes markharb, unbelievably short sighted BOD!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:33 pm Yes markharb, unbelievably short sighted BOD!
I’d be more convinced by the announcement of a new defence coach whoever that may be.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

markharbtiger wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:37 pmI’d be more convinced by the announcement of a new defence coach whoever that may be.
Agree. It would certainly show some intent and maybe even a slight change of direction.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.