Interim - Why?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

NaptonTiger
Tiger Cub

Interim - Why?

Post by NaptonTiger »

So Mr.Cohen is to break his, and presumably the board's silence, and write to us (season ticket holders). You know, those people who actually pay to turn up week in week out to witness the sad decline of a great club. I am not really interested in new hotels, carparks, catering (rubbish food served by bewildered staff). I am interested in rugby.

I hope Mr.C explains why Geordan Murphy is still referred to as "interim" coach.
Here's a definition of interim;
"in or for the intervening period; provisional"
"an interim arrangement" synonyms: provisional, temporary, pro tem, stopgap, short-term, fill-in, caretaker, acting, intervening, transitional, changeover, make-do, makeshift, improvised, impromptu, emergency.

What does the continued use of the title suggest about the board's confidence in Geordan? Either they (the board) think he is good enough for the job and back him or they find another Coach quickly. Their track record in the last few years suggest that they might be better sticking with GM and drop the "interim" title.
It's a pity that the board aren't interim, but then judging by their (lack of) public profile to date, I suspect that their Teflon coating is very well applied.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Interim - Why?

Post by sapajo »

Cannot get fixated on the use of the word "interim" as Murphy was clearly content to accept the post in full knowledge of this caveat. In my opinion its use enables the board to keep its options open as the fact remains Murphy is inexperienced and unproven at this level. For me Murphy is a very convenient stop gap for the board to plug the hole left by the sacking of MOC. Only time will tell if he is upto the job but time as we all know is not on our side at this juncture.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
25tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by 25tiger »

Pretty sure it’s been stated a couple of times by members of the board, that GM was given the title of interim head coach as a means of protecting him/justification to keep him around after, incase it all goes wrong. If they announced him as the full time head coach at the beginning of the season and it’s a complete failure then it would be harder to keep him around.
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

My understanding is the board took the decision after firing MO to wait until the world cup finals complete before commending recruitment, logic being there are national coaches out there with contracts due to expire but who are not open to discussions on contract for 2019/20 season. GM has been given the interim role which I think suits him and the club.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Are you should it's not Intern?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Baz

Post by Baz »

"Are you should it's not Intern?" Please translate.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

25tiger wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:14 am Pretty sure it’s been stated a couple of times by members of the board, that GM was given the title of interim head coach as a means of protecting him/justification to keep him around after, incase it all goes wrong. If they announced him as the full time head coach at the beginning of the season and it’s a complete failure then it would be harder to keep him around.
This is my understanding too.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

He’s confirmed as Head Coach now so let’s at least get behind him!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

JP14 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:36 pm He’s confirmed as Head Coach now so let’s at least get behind him!
Agreed, the players have said they didn’t want more changes and who can blame them, can’t keep chopping and changing for every season.

Doesn’t mean that we won’t bring in some experience at DOR level and other experienced coaches into the setup. Can still see Gustard coming in as DOR and one of the mentioned coaches as defence.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

JP14 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:36 pm He’s confirmed as Head Coach now so let’s at least get behind him!
Lets hope he gets all the support and assistance he needs.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Agreed.....and I can help but like and admire the bloke. I just hope he gets the support he deserves not just from the paying public, but from the board.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"