George Clancy

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

George Clancy

Post by WiggoTiger »

Was it me or did he struggle to officiate fairly today. Many Racing players surely should have been yellow carded but he bottled it.
Felt he wasn't in control at all.
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: George Clancy

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

there did look to be at least 2 forward passes in the build up to their first try and ours should have been a penalty try but in general I just don't think he truly knows the laws and makes it up as he goes, especially at scrum time, I especially laughed at the on he gave when Warburton said on coms Racing were going forward, only problem was the ball was yet to go in so it should have been stable at that point
Last edited by Jimmy Skitz on Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

It was again a dreadful reffing display. He may as well not have bothered turning up as he couldn’t be bothered to ref most of the time.
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

After Zebo's high tackle in the lead up to our try it was clearly a penalty restart, not given! Youngsy's tap and goes were any allowed 10 metres before being tackled?
He is clearly both myopic and inept, surely he's already missed the start of the panto he's starring in this year? :smt017 :smt003
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

He has been a poor ref since first sighted, joins a long line of dreadful Irish refs...he is better than Lacey, but is probably even worse than Alan Lewis
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

If his performance was in doubt, the only performance worse was that from the 23 Tigers on the park for 80 minutes
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

One of the most memorable things my first rugby coach ever said to our team - paraphrasing as it was a long time ago:

"You don't complain about a ref because you're unhappy with the ref. You complain about the ref because you are unhappy with the state of the game. If you were 20 points up and the game was refereed exactly the same you wouldn't have mentioned the ref once."

Two European losses in a row and we have two threads on the offy titled with the names of the referees from those matches. Is Clancy my favourite ref? No. Did I notice Owens struggle to keep up with the pace last week? Yes, of course. Did either make a jot of difference to the result. No, not in the slightest.

Refereeing standards are poor at the top because standards at grass roots are terrible. Standards at the bottom are terrible because there are no refs available. Ref shortage at all levels is being caused by near non existent intake of young refs into the game. Why would there be intake when refs get little but grief for their efforts?

Fans, players, parents, coaches, etc need to realise that by complaining about referees you just perpetuate the cycle that leads to no one wanting to become a ref, hence the low standards. I'd sincerely advise all rugby fans to take a reffing course and try it for yourself.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerCam wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:42 pm If his performance was in doubt, the only performance worse was that from the 23 Tigers on the park for 80 minutes
First 25 minutes. After that we looked the more likely to score. It's just inside that first 25 minutes we'd shipped three tries and Racing were always in the driving seat. Making a mess of two lineouts 5m out was pretty criminal, particularly the one just before halftime.

Had either of the yellow cards been given against the fairly blatant Racing infringements then who knows. Particularly the second against Nakawara as Racing were starting to tire a little and playing with seven forwards may have stretched them.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

ABClub,
Great post, totally correct, to many one eyed posters on here.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Not as many as the posters on "Foxestalk", That's the game with the weird round ball> :smt007
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Dangerous4 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:38 pm Not as many as the posters on "Foxestalk", That's the game with the weird round ball> :smt007
I wouldn't use that as a measure of anything other than how many bedwetters can be on the same forum, some of them won't be happy until Leicester are back in the Championship and they can whine about that again
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Good post ABClub, but i'd say reffing standards are very inconsistent rather than poor at grassroots, and less inconsistent standards the higher you go. To say Clancy is a poor ref is as incorrect as saying a player is a poor player. They can't be poor to reach elite level, some are better than others, some just have a bad day. Clancy's offside lines were very loose yesterday, some were just terrible, but his dealing with Genge's hissy fits was excellent I thought!
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

When Clancy gave that scrum penalty against tigers for collapsing before the ball was even put in, it was one of the best ref jokes for a long time, if a ref does not care about the rules but just wings it like Owens the week before we fans are entitled to express our bewilderment.
It will not change, and those of us who remember Steve Lander can tell you it was always thus, so we do not blame the result on the ref, even when they have a material effect on the outcome we just wonder what goes through their mind in those circumstances, it would be great if someday we could watch the ref reviewing the replay and have them explain why they did what they did.
It will never happen but I can wish
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

BengalTiger wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:53 amit would be great if someday we could watch the ref reviewing the replay and have them explain why they did what they did.
It will never happen but I can wish
It does, every Monday usually at twickenham but only with the ref, his advisors and those that know the game better than most. His decisions and overall performance will be scrutinised, reports written, reports read from the teams coaches, 'work-ons' developed and during the week he will further develop his game. Be nice if some decisions were published though, what looks like a lottery to us is often a logical decision we don't see/understand.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

A few years ago I watched a European home game with a Welsh referee who's name I forget, throughout the game I disagreed with many of his decisions, on returning home I watched a replay of the game only to find the decisions I thought he got wrong were absolutely right, most fans only moan about the decisions given against your side but 95% of the time refs give the right decision to both sides.